What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking Back on the 2006 Recruiting Class Part I: Impact of Attrition

Which attrition loss from 2006 hurt the most?

• KY OT Quinton Borders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CO OT Bill Boyer

• WA DE Jason Brace

• JUCO OG Erick Faatagi

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • CO TE Steven Fendry

• FL WR Sherman Lang

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • CA LB Justin Nonu

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • TX C Wes Palazzi

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • JUCO RB Thomas Perez

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Samoan ATH Ino Vitale, Jr.

• None. I don't believe any of them would have been a significant contributor.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
2006 Recruit Profile Index

The 2006 class was a patchwork affair. During Gary Barnett's last season, recruiting was difficult and then a coaching change was made to an individual with a very different personality from GB, Dan Hawkins. Some guys were lost, Hawkins scrambled to pull in his guys over the last month and a half of the recruiting cycle, and a number of guys who did commit ended up not fitting in with the new regime.

Originally a 22 member class, the following 10 signees either never made it to Boulder or left CU at some point after their career had started:

KY OT Quinton Borders
CO OT Bill Boyer
WA DE Jason Brace
JUCO OG Erick Faatagi
CO TE Steven Fendry
FL WR Sherman Lang
CA LB Justin Nonu
TX C Wes Palazzi
JUCO RB Thomas Perez
Samoan ATH Ino Vitale, Jr.

How different might the depth chart look if not for attrition from this class?

The attrition on the OL from that class probably set us back a few seasons all by itself. You cannot lose four players at one position area and expect to be just fine.

Wasn't it Erick Faatagi, not Justin?

I voted for Justin Nonu, because I think he would have been moved to DT and that would have really helped our transition there. Most likely one of the OL guys would have been key also, just not sure which one of the bunch would have better. Not sure if any of them ever made an impact on another team?

i voted Perez only because i was VERY impressed with him in the scrimmage/spring game in which he saw action. i think he would have given us a nice physical back for tough yards and gave us the option to run/pass on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 5 to make people stay honest. he and Hugh would have been a nice 1-2 punch.

Wasn't it Erick Faatagi, not Justin?

I voted for Justin Nonu, because I think he would have been moved to DT and that would have really helped our transition there. Most likely one of the OL guys would have been key also, just not sure which one of the bunch would have better. Not sure if any of them ever made an impact on another team?

Yep. That was a typo. Fixed everywhere but the poll (couldn't figure out how to edit that).

Back