What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking towards next year with Bryce Peters (broken off from recruit thread)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Stud. Best recruit we've signed in years imo.

We're crazy deep at Guard next year. We only lose Stalzer and add Derrick White, Peters, and DeLeon Brown. Minutes will be hard to come by

Talton's minutes, too. But, yeah.

I'm a big believer in putting your best 5 players on the court and dictating matchups & pace so that you do what you do and the opponent is forced to make adjustments. For the Buffs, that means playing 1 big with 2 wings and 2 guards a lot next season.

For the Buffs, that means playing 1 big with 2 wings and 2 guards a lot next season.

There is not much of a choice, CU will be forced to play small. Tad has not been able to recruit any big men in the past two years. The inability to recruit a C is a MAJOR issue going into next season: If Gordon or Miller get hurt, who plays down low? Guzonjic is a perimeter big man (shoots three's - think XJ, with less talent). That leaves Fletcher as the next big man - and Gordon will be a Senior (there is no replacement for him at this point either). Scary!

There is not much of a choice, CU will be forced to play small. Tad has not been able to recruit any big men in the past two years. The inability to recruit a C is a MAJOR issue going into next season: If Gordon AND Miller get hurt, who plays down low? Guzonjic is a perimeter big man (shoots three's - think XJ, with less talent). That leaves Fletcher as the next big man - and Gordon will be a Senior (there is no replacement for him at this point either). Scary!

FIFY

This is modern basketball. 1 big, maybe a hybrid, & hopefully 4 out of the 5 guys can hit 3's. XJ coming back is crucial but, there's plenty of teams who have had success with less quality bigs than we'll have next yr.

FIFY

This is modern basketball. 1 big, maybe a hybrid, & hopefully 4 out of the 5 guys can hit 3's. XJ coming back is crucial but, there's plenty of teams who have had success with less quality bigs than we'll have next yr.

This. I'm really not sure everyone's obsession with big men. Yeah, dominant ones are great. Bad ones are horrible. Besides, even the pro game is going away from the traditional bigs. If you don't have an overall game, there's no reason to have you.

There is not much of a choice, CU will be forced to play small. Tad has not been able to recruit any big men in the past two years. The inability to recruit a C is a MAJOR issue going into next season: If Gordon or Miller get hurt, who plays down low? Guzonjic is a perimeter big man (shoots three's - think XJ, with less talent). That leaves Fletcher as the next big man - and Gordon will be a Senior (there is no replacement for him at this point either). Scary!
You sound like you are describing the makeup of the team that won the P12 tourney and a game in the dance. I'm ok with it as long as the talent is there to do it.

If XJ doesn't return next year King would likely be inline to play the 4 of the current wings, he's logged about 15% of the available minutes at the 4 this season and none at SG, where as Fletcher has logged none at the 4 and about 20% of the available minutes at the 2.

This. I'm really not sure everyone's obsession with big men. Yeah, dominant ones are great. Bad ones are horrible. Besides, even the pro game is going away from the traditional bigs. If you don't have an overall game, there's no reason to have you.

Good big men are what separates the good teams from the great teams IMO. Offensively you can survive without one but defensively when playing teams that have established big men you get whooped and give up easy baskets.

I'd rather have a dominant guard/guard play and have front court issues than the reverse.

That's fantastic several of you believe a big man is not critical. Not having a replacement for an All-American C and not having any recruits for the back-ups, will impact the team next year and beyond. Playing 4 wings is fine at Northern Colorado. It is not suited for the Pac12, you can go up and down Pac12 rosters and see several big men on each team and on the floor at the same time.

Pro teams are going away from traditional bigs? Really? Do you mean the GS Warriors and their 7'0" Center? When he goes to the bench, he is replaced by a 6'11" Center. Their forwards are 6"11", 6'10", 6'9", 6'9" and their SF's range from 6'8" to 6'7". Their SG is 6'7". The Spurs also have 4 players 6'11 or taller. Cleveland has 4 bigs themselves. Clippers - same thing... The elite teams all have bigs.

There is a tremendous Risk relying on Guzonjic or Fletcher at PF against Pac12 caliber teams. Gordon and Miller will need to rest, they may encounter foul trouble, be playing poorly, deal with injuries, get suspended for biting someone.. there are a number of factors which create a need for bigs. There is a solution: If Tad could recruit, he could deliver a solid C and that would ease the loss of Josh and the impending loss of Gordon.

I apologize - Off topic for Bryce Peters string

No worries moved here with our other posts.

Looking specifically at the Warriors example (which granted is extreme) of the 6 players on their roster that are 6'9" or taller only one plays more than 20 minutes a game, and 3 of the 6 play practically zero minutes per night. On our roster we will also have a 6'7' shooting guard next year, like they do (not the same talent level obv.)

Next year we'll likely have some combo of:

6'2" PG
6'5 - 6'7 G/Wing
6'5 - 6'7 G/Wing
6'5 - 6'7 F/Wing
6'9 - F
The traditional model of a Patrick Ewing, Hakeem, center focused NBA team we grew up with is less common today than it has been, teams in the pros like in college are getting by more on length then they are a traditional "Big."

It will no doubt hurt losing Josh next year he's a steadying force, he's very good at altering shots without fouling, you can keep him on the floor all game because he hits FT's. No one disputes that it will be a loss, but you can get by in college with a 4 guard line-up and a single big - if both Tory and Wes got hurt we'd be in trouble relying on Keenan.

Last edited:
That line up looks an awful like certain UNLV and University of Illinois teams to me. Sure the lack of a dominant big could be harmful, but then, if you're running, running, running, running and even running when you're not running, they won't be in the game much anyway. Plus that would be seriously fun to watch.

That line up looks an awful like certain UNLV and University of Illinois teams to me. Sure the lack of a dominant big could be harmful, but then, if you're running, running, running, running and even running when you're not running, they won't be in the game much anyway. Plus that would be seriously fun to watch.

Tad seems very reluctant to run considering his emphasis on defense.

If that's the goal, then why did we sign that Euro big? I envision a similar situation to what the Cavs are going through with Kevin Love right now.

Tad seems very reluctant to run considering his emphasis on defense.
You do make a good point, but there aren't a lot of other ways to win with that type of line up. I suspect he is a good enough coach that he will alter his style to fit the players and give them a chance. But hey call me an optimist (No one has ever said that before, so seriously do it, I need it man!).

The Euro 'big,' otherwise known as Guzonjic is only 6'8" tall and his best attributes might be his ability to spot up shoot serve as a bruiser on defense. Sounds exactly like the 4/5 you need in that type of system.

The Euro 'big,' otherwise known as Guzonjic is only 6'8" tall and his best attributes might be his ability to spot up shoot serve as a bruiser on defense. Sounds exactly like the 4/5 you need in that type of system.
Except the Guzzler is not a bruiser, nor is he a runner (another attribute necessary for that style of offense).

I'm actually really excited for next year. The team will look very different without Josh Scott, but if Tad is willing to be flexible with his lineups he can put a winning squad on the floor.

It looks exactly like what many have already posted: one big (Wes and Tory), 3 interchangeable wings (Fortune, King, Fletcher, White, and maybe Peters/Brown) that can switch everything, and a point guard (Collier/Yaz). For this type of lineup to be successful the three wings need to be able to play excellent perimeter defense and help with rebounding.

While the perimeter defense and guard rebounding this year has been shaky, I think the introduction of White next year could do a lot to change that. He is no doubt a question mark, having come from DII. He won't be as productive as he was at that level. However, the guy I see on film looks like a guard with the length/athleticism to be a nightmare defender, rebounder, and a scary transition threat. I love that he has the over-looked-recruit chip on his shoulder too. I can picture next year's team winning 20 games with that formula.

The year following next, I am not so sure about...

Anyone else watching this matchup between two top ten teams of Xavier and Providence who have a combined 1 (yeah one) center listed on their rosters? Big fan.

And I realize most guys are listed as forward anyway even if they play center, but Providence has one guy 6'10" and everyone else is shorter.

Time will tell. A few of the guards have big ceilings (King, Collier, Peters and White), I think those four on the floor at once with Gordon would be potentially dangerous at times. However, against teams like Arizona, Stanford and Utah who throw the ball down low and tend to rebound very well, CU will be exposed for their lack of height.

Last edited:
I like Rodney B and attacks on him and BS speculation about his recruiting value to the team, on a widely read, CU-related internet site, can only hurt the program.

But, there is something strange, in that we haven't been able to recruit a big man for next year. A really strong prospect would know he'd likely be a Pac 12 starter his freshman year. How weird is it that none of the top 20 high school kids want to jump on that?

I like Rodney B and attacks on him and BS speculation about his recruiting value to the team, on a widely read, CU-related internet site, can only hurt the program.

But, there is something strange, in that we haven't been able to recruit a big man for next year. A really strong prospect would know he'd likely be a Pac 12 starter his freshman year. How weird is it that none of the top 20 high school kids want to jump on that?

Assume those attacks are on Rivals (dont have a sub)?

Rodney got us Dom, maybe he isnt Coach A but he's done a reasonable job, and a lot of that credit to coach A is retro-active because 3*'s panned out. Rodney also is not the big man coach, that is Mike Rohn, who's been here since the start - the complaining folks you are reading should probably know or learn that.

Assume those attacks are on Rivals (dont have a sub)?

Rodney got us Dom, maybe he isnt Coach A but he's done a reasonable job, and a lot of that credit to coach A is retro-active because 3*'s panned out. Rodney also is not the big man coach, that is Mike Rohn, who's been here since the start - the complaining folks you are reading should probably know or learn that.

I'm just assuming those erroneous takes are from AZ's board. It's the safest assumption with a criticism that's that dumb.

That's fantastic several of you believe a big man is not critical. Not having a replacement for an All-American C and not having any recruits for the back-ups, will impact the team next year and beyond. Playing 4 wings is fine at Northern Colorado. It is not suited for the Pac12, you can go up and down Pac12 rosters and see several big men on each team and on the floor at the same time.

Pro teams are going away from traditional bigs? Really? Do you mean the GS Warriors and their 7'0" Center? When he goes to the bench, he is replaced by a 6'11" Center. Their forwards are 6"11", 6'10", 6'9", 6'9" and their SF's range from 6'8" to 6'7". Their SG is 6'7". The Spurs also have 4 players 6'11 or taller. Cleveland has 4 bigs themselves. Clippers - same thing... The elite teams all have bigs.

There is a tremendous Risk relying on Guzonjic or Fletcher at PF against Pac12 caliber teams. Gordon and Miller will need to rest, they may encounter foul trouble, be playing poorly, deal with injuries, get suspended for biting someone.. there are a number of factors which create a need for bigs. There is a solution: If Tad could recruit, he could deliver a solid C and that would ease the loss of Josh and the impending loss of Gordon.

It's universally understood that the NBA is moving away from fielding lineups with 2 low post bigs. The Warriors have been crushing with the small ball lineup featuring Draymond Green as the 5. Even casual NBA fans know this.

Gordon has been a top 5 rim protector in the P12 since his 1st yr & Tory Miller continues to grow.

It's a little too early to concern ourselves with our big man depth for the '17-'18 season. This team is poised to make a run either this yr or next & good bigs will see the opportunity to play here.

While the perimeter defense and guard rebounding this year has been shaky, I think the introduction of White next year could do a lot to change that. He is no doubt a question mark, having come from DII. He won't be as productive as he was at that level. However, the guy I see on film looks like a guard with the length/athleticism to be a nightmare defender, rebounder, and a scary transition threat. I love that he has the over-looked-recruit chip on his shoulder too. I can picture next year's team winning 20 games with that formula.

This is one of the things I am looking forward to next year. We do not have anyone who can attack the basket and finish around the rim (or dish) like White can. As a matter of fact I don't think we have had anyone that was a consistent threat to drive the basket since the Mayor. It would add a valuable component to our attack. Hopefully Peters can do this as well.

Back