1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing a band director

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by BuffaloSoldier76, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat Club Member

Assistant Director of Bands, Dana Biggs, who assists with the Golden Buffalo Marching Band, and conducts the Buff Basketball Band, is leaving CU to take the position of Associate Director of Bands/Director of Athletic Bands at Oregon State University.

Dana has also been the conductor of the Boulder Concert Band for the past 2 years, and will be missed.

I wish him well, and hope that the music department finds a good replacement for him.

cmgoods likes this.
  2. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

Good luck to him at OSU

3. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

Are we losing the facilities race in the music department as well?

4. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Have you seen the OSU band practice bubble?

5. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Josh Smith thinks so.

6. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat Club Member

Maybe if we offered to buy them 50 cases of bottled water he could be convinced to stay?

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I can see why they'd want to hire our basketball band director away. Sounds like a promotion, too, since Dana will be in charge of all athletic bands with the Beavs.

Congrats!

Now let's make sure we get a good one as a replacement.

One thing Bohn was absolutely right about is that spirit squads, particularly the band, separate college sports and create the right atmosphere for games that a pro sport can't match with its piped in music.

8. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

Damn, good luck my dude. It's a good step forward for his career, but I'm sad to see him go.
    [​IMG]

For those who don't know much about Dana, he's the reason the basketball band is 90+ strong, and the loudest around. He's a great guy too. When I speak of the shame of losing unique, vibrant, and influential stewards, it goes double for Dana. A triple shame, because I think the director's job here at CU will be opening soon.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

We are all going to be sad to see Dana go, there will likely be a huge amount of change with the leadership of the bands in the next couple of years due to some politics within the music school, but this is great for Dr.Biggs. hopefully he gets to run their bball band and will be in vegas come March. This should give a really awesome TA that just graduated the opportunity to prove himself a bit and hopefully land a full time gig.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

My nephew was considering CU. He was in his marching band in HS, so I gave him a tour of CU and arranged a visit to the music school. Dana Biggs graiously responded to my e-mail out of the blue and arranged his schedule to meet me and my nephew and show us around the music school. Quality guy in my book. He was very accomodating and took a good chunk out of his day to make my nephew feel welcome. People like that don't come along everyday. Best of luck to him.

After all that, my nephew went to OU, grrrrrr.

11. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

Doesn't he get tired only ever playing one song?

12. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Well stated, I remember there was some story that when Bohn took over one of his first calls was to the Band Director. When the Band Director answered the phone, he couldn't believe it; in that 20 something years, it was the first time, an AD had contacted him. As we've discussed Bohn did a great job of involving/embracing supporting this kind of stuff. While many ADs would be concentrated on the big wigs, he was great with the rank-and-file types. I remember plenty of times when I was there, when he would sit in the student section at basketball games (as did Peterson).