What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lots of negativity regarding Embree

Nope. Love him....but sure wish he was a ****ing good coach.
Here is a question. What makes a head coach, Saban for example, great? Try listing important attributes from top to bottom in order of importance.

Here is a question. What makes a head coach, Saban for example, great? Try listing important attributes from top to bottom in order of importance.
Going against my training as an American, complete lack of experience will stop me from having an opinion on this subject :)

To me, in order of importance:

1. Ability to recruit the best HS athletes in America.
2. Hiring world class coaching staff
3. Being an insane workaholic
4. Actual X's and O's ability.

He is very good at coaching defense, and breaking it down to it's simplest elements to the best athletes. I have heard while at LSU, he'd hope to install a coverage per day, and name it after a state. He just goes for perfection over complexity.

To me, in order of importance:

Pretty much my line of thinking. But you left out "ability to cheat and not get caught." Thing is, I think Embree can recruit top kids. Hiring world class coaches is problematic for ANY Colorado HC due to TABOR. Where Jon and this staff seem to be lacking is the good old "X's & O's" thing.

This is what I'm hung up on. Everyone says we're terrible, but when I watch the game I just see young guys that don't have great instincts and zig when they should zag or maybe zag too late, because they're thinking too hard instead of reacting. Of course coaching cleans that up, and if there is really no improvement over the year than that's that.

But hypothetically, how do you think a team of top freshmen recruits would do with a month of practice against the teams we've played? I bet they'd lose, too, even against an FCS team! Experience and time to pack on some muscle is necessary for most every college player.

We have far from the best HS players, and are playing with terrible upperclassmen and semi talented underclassmen.

How do you judge the coaching in that situation?!? and what specifically makes Embree a terrible coach?

I don't think Embree is a bad coach. So far though he hasn't been a good enough coach to overcome the lack of talent, lack of player leadership, and expectation of losing that he took on when he took this job.

My impression is that he is extreemly hard working, highly competitive, and more than intelligent enough to be a quality head coach. The list is long of good coaches who failed at their first job before going on to have success. I fear that Embree may be one of those.

Even though it hasn't shown up on the record, and that is what counts so that's how coaches are judged, win or lose Embree is going to leave a better team that he got when he took over.

They aren't going to fire him before the end of the year. Don't win another game and he may lose his job. Win at least one or two more and he almost certainly gets at least next year.

Back to my question, kind of. Does Jon's personality bug anyone else?

Nope. Not at all. I don't watch football for the personality of the coach.

Embree's plain spoken demeanor is a refreshing in its honesty.

The coaching decisions, on the other hand....

This is what I'm hung up on. Everyone says we're terrible, but when I watch the game I just see young guys that don't have great instincts and zig when they should zag or maybe zag too late, because they're thinking too hard instead of reacting. Of course coaching cleans that up, and if there is really no improvement over the year than that's that.

But hypothetically, how do you think a team of top freshmen recruits would do with a month of practice against the teams we've played? I bet they'd lose, too, even against an FCS team! Experience and time to pack on some muscle is necessary for most every college player.

We have far from the best HS players, and are playing with terrible upperclassmen and semi talented underclassmen.

How do you judge the coaching in that situation?!? and what specifically makes Embree a terrible coach?
I'm not buying that he is terrible just yet.

They aren't going to fire him before the end of the year. Don't win another game and he may lose his job. Win at least one or two more and he almost certainly gets at least next year.

REEEALLY curious to see what the board is saying before the Utah game assuming we lose out until then. As well as what the reaction is if we win.

You just cannot totally dismiss that Embree's first class was quickly put together and was not great. Not his fault. His second class is solid but they are freshmen. He just lost 28 seniors. Hawkins' last couple of classes were not good. I just think it is premature and probably unfair to call fot his head just yet.

You just cannot totally dismiss that Embree's first class was quickly put together and was not great. Not his fault. His second class is solid but they are freshmen. He just lost 28 seniors. Hawkins' last couple of classes were not good. I just think it is premature and probably unfair to call fot his head just yet.

You also can't totally dismiss that he went 3-10 with those 28 seniors who were coming off a 5-7 season that would have been 6-6 without the hatchet job by the refs (awarding possession to KU when we had a player stand up holding the ball) and Hawkins complete mismanagement of the rest of the 4th quarter.

Embree's 4-14, DBT. In those 18 games, we've been blown out more times than in 5 years under Hawkins. Recruiting and attendance are already way down.

What exactly do you need to see before you'd pull the trigger?

Our coaching is horrible by every measure.

It's just so painfully obvious that this is far, far more than a lack of talent. This is a coaching staff way in over their heads. No identity, no commitment to identity. Just walking around looking like deer in the headlights. I just can't believe it's going to take another year and a half of 18 more 50 point losses (and two more wasted recruiting classes) for some of you to realize this.

It's the middle of year two and we're seeing zero signs of improvement ANYWHERE. In fact, we're regressing. This incoming recruiting class will be last in the Pac-12. We're running the risk of putting ourselves in a hole that we will never get out of (if we haven't already). Look, everyone likes Embree as a person, but letting that get in the way of rescuing our football program is preposterous. He needs to go after the Utah game. Keeping him another year is suicidal.

Last edited:
You also can't totally dismiss that he went 3-10 with those 28 seniors who were coming off a 5-7 season that would have been 6-6 without the hatchet job by the refs (awarding possession to KU when we had a player stand up holding the ball) and Hawkins complete mismanagement of the rest of the 4th quarter.

Embree's 4-14, DBT. In those 18 games, we've been blown out more times than in 5 years under Hawkins. Recruiting and attendance are already way down.

What exactly do you need to see before you'd pull the trigger?

Our coaching is horrible by every measure.

The defenders of Embree are really reaching these days.

Back