What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lynn Katoa in trouble

No Hawaii will be getting a really good LB. Fact he used a rock, he is done for. With what happened in the past, they have zero tolerance now. I see no reason to be optimistic on this one.

Agreed.

It sucks, but I think most of us are at the point now where we have a "usual" reaction to this kind of news - righteous indignation at how the football players are singled out in Boulder, the fact that parties and drinking are just part of campus life, the fact that there are way too many ****nuts around who think that going after a football player makes them "tough". I can't get any of that going on this one. It sucks that a flash reaction, a moment of anger, can completely change the plans of an 18 year old kid who by most accounts has done a lot of things right up to this point. But I also can't say that picking up a rock and using it as a weapon is in any way ok. If he didn't play football, I certainly would be able to understand the University saying he crossed a line and was out of school for good. As it is, I honestly hope the kid has learned a hard, hard lesson - football player or not that is just not something you can do in life. That kind of temper will land him in jail - or worse. But why, ****dammit, does this kind of **** have to keep happening at CU????? ****!!!!!!!!!!! :sad2:

Agreed.

It sucks, but I think most of us are at the point now where we have a "usual" reaction to this kind of news - righteous indignation at how the football players are singled out in Boulder, the fact that parties and drinking are just part of campus life, the fact that there are way too many ****nuts around who think that going after a football player makes them "tough". I can't get any of that going on this one. It sucks that a flash reaction, a moment of anger, can completely change the plans of an 18 year old kid who by most accounts has done a lot of things right up to this point. But I also can't say that picking up a rock and using it as a weapon is in any way ok. If he didn't play football, I certainly would be able to understand the University saying he crossed a line and was out of school for good. As it is, I honestly hope the kid has learned a hard, hard lesson - football player or not that is just not something you can do in life. That kind of temper will land him in jail - or worse. But why, ****dammit, does this kind of **** have to keep happening at CU????? ****!!!!!!!!!!! :sad2:

it happens at every major program. CU is not among the "worst offenders" but our Buffs are no choir boys, either. we follow CU and, because of the all the incredibly unfair media coverage a few years back, we are all sensitive to any negative stuff that happens.

but, every major program has a police blotter of shame. it is, i think, due to a number of factors...

it happens at every major program. CU is not among the "worst offenders" but our Buffs are no choir boys, either. we follow CU and, because of the all the incredibly unfair media coverage a few years back, we are all sensitive to any negative stuff that happens.

but, every major program has a police blotter of shame. it is, i think, due to a number of factors...

Good points, and absolutely right, of course. I understand all the sociological and psychological factors that cause it to happen in other programs, and agree that they are numerous. I understand that they are in play at CU, just as they are everywhere else. But at this point I still just want to know why the **** it has to happen to US???? :bang::censored::pissed3::pissed::cry: It pisses me off to no end to see the Buffs program continually having to deal with this ****. Every time you think the corner is turned, they just run into another corner. If I wanted to deal with that **** I'd be a NASCAR fan...

wtf. is he for sure gone?

No. But based on what happened with Sipili, it's a reasonable assumption to make that he'd be dismissed if these allegations prove to be correct.

Not for sure. But the fact that he had a rock in his hands is serious stuff. I'm sure the Mary Keenan and her cronies will be gunning for Katoa. They'll make an example out of him. If what the BDC is reporting is true, he's done in Boulder.

Last edited:
We are all speculating at this point...yes, it sucks...but let's see how this plays out. Just because you are charged with a crime, it does not mean you are guilty.

BDC updated with Hawkins quote:

Katoa was immediately suspended by CU Coach Dan Hawkins.

“We are mentoring our student athletes to be first class people, students, and athletes," Hawkins said in a statement. "I do not condone our players engaging in violent personal altercations, or any illegal or unethical conduct. Lynn will be suspended from competition, though I will permit him to practice, until everything is resolved.

Coach Hawk did the same with Sipili. Due Process right?:cool:

Yea - that was no commentary on Hawk, just thought folks might want to see what steps he already took today.

Wtf was this kid thinking. As a recent grad, I never got myself into those situations (maybe cause I am skinny and was a pothead, who knows :smile:). Just don't get yourself into that situation... really terrible.

Wtf was this kid thinking. As a recent grad, I never got myself into those situations (maybe cause I am skinny and was a pothead, who knows :smile:). Just don't get yourself into that situation... really terrible.

I agree. I grew up in Boulder and never got tasered.:huh: But if you go out looking for trouble, I'm sure you can find it here in Boulder.

I'm going home now to beat my own head with a rock. A Top 100 recruit of all things. Not a walk on, not a f-ing kicker, a potential true freshman starter at LB. That's f-ing great. :sad2:

Let's get a grip. We all know it will not be easy to get us back to the top...this is one more bump in the road.

If Kotoa never makes it on the field, we are still headed in the right direction. But again, let's see how this plays out. My money has Kotoa playing this fall.

You know, Im just really sad hearing this. I live on the Hill, see how crazy it can get and am just angry that it escalated to this. I lived in that apartment complex last year and had to break up countless fights (i was suspended from school because of one of them) I saw Lynn the week he got to Boulder and he looked like he was on cloud nine, **** those kids that tased his friend, I probably would have done the same... bros before hos.

I probably would have done the same... bros before hos.

If you are an athlete going to college on a scholarship you should know better than that. Your bro's don't pay tuition. Katoa should have been trying to get his friend to the hospital or calling the police. He knows better than that.

Last edited:
Let's get a grip. We all know it will not be easy to get us back to the top...this is one more bump in the road.

If Kotoa never makes it on the field, we are still headed in the right direction. But again, let's see how this plays out. My money has Kotoa playing this fall.

Yeah, that was my first reaction too. Now that it's had a little while to sink in i'm not so sure. But we can hope.

I really feel bad for him on one hand because he is a kid. But having said that, you still need to control those impulses. I don't care if you are on scholarship, not on scholarship and not an athlete, picking up a rock and hitting someone is just not socially acceptable behavior.

It does always break my heart though to see one ****up kill your future. No matter what happens - innocent until proven guilty in this country - I hope he learns from his mistakes and can move on and be a successful person.

I agree. I grew up in Boulder and never got tasered.:huh: But if you go out looking for trouble, I'm sure you can find it here in Boulder.

My baseball coach in college had a good saying. He said nothing good ever happens after midnight.:sad1:

In my mind, he's done. In other words, I am taking the approach that he is no longer a Buff. I'm focusing on the team, not him. Am I disappointed? Yep. But I'm more pisssed at him than anything else. Everything I'd thought about this kid has just been wiped out.

If what is written in the article is true, and he assaulted someone with a rock, after the taser incident occured, then he deserves to be gone.

We don't need student athelete's lilke this. We will be better off without him.

Dude should have simply called the cops. It's one thing to react during the altercation, it's another to go back looking for trouble after the tasering took place.

Also, for the jackasses who used a stun gun. I hope they catch those ****ers too and throw the book at them. Pussies!

Back