1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac, please shut up.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by AlferdJasper, Dec 3, 2010.

1. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it, Mac, but this isn't about you right now.

A university where you were once a leader is making decisions about the future of its football program. There is a process for this, and it is taking place. You know the old saying about making sausage? Well it's not always pretty, and that's why we let those people do their jobs and present us with the final product, instead of watching the blood and guts get stirred and seasoned.

If you feel a need to be in the limelight, go do something spectacular that is about you. Your comments have been embarrassing and have made many of us re-think our opinion of you as a supporter of the program.

Sure, you like the buffs. It was a highlight in your life. Winning a championship was huge, and the other accolades were deserved. But this is not your time. There is a new coach who deserves to be introduced the right way, and an athletic department trying to make this a positive step.

Let them do their jobs. Ours is to stand on the sidelines and applaud mightily, and throw our support behind the new guy. Don't belittle this choice by making it about race instead of qualifications. Don't insert yourself into the decision by claiming that you "made it happen." Be proud of the men you helped mold, but let them take credit for their own accomplishments.

You have a great legacy with CU, let us have those memories untainted by egotism and grandstanding. When John Henderson calls you, remind yourself "this is NO FRIEND of the Colorado Buffs." Write in ball-point on your palm: Henderson has own agenda, do not spill the beans. Just so you don't forget again and start babbling on.

I'm sure if Jon or Eric gets the job (and it's looking like Jon will), they could have come to you for advice and support. If I were Mike Bohn, my first instruction to either of them would be: don't tell Mac anything you don't want to see in the press. He doesn't know when to keep a secret.

Mac, you could end up being on the outside looking in, instead of a trusted and valuable resource. And that will be your own doing.

2. HornBuff

HornBuff Horns Down

Thai it easy. Nobody cares outside of Buff Nation. Not that big of a deal.

3. AlferdJasper

Well, buff nation and you care apparently.

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Pointless stupidity - this is why we have the ignore feature.

5. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

aggie is back. 'morning, aggie.

6. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

mornin' biggio....

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

AJ,

Excellent post. It's difficult to watch this.

If there's a silver lining, it has made a lot of the people open their eyes who were previously behind Mac getting the HC job. I think that pretty much everyone agrees that it's time to move on instead of going back to a past that cannot be recreated with the same people.

8. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

I agree, I still am nauseated that Henderson got the "scoop" from Mac. If true, he should have understood it was not his story to break.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_16766026

10. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I'm torn on this. Mac is the sole reason Colorado is where it is today(prestige wise). He deserves to have input into the program, especially since he is willing. And I think he is just excited about what is happening. However I do agree that unless he has been given the ok to leak this, that he is stealing JE's thunder and should allow the University proceed under their own timetable.

11. AlferdJasper

In football, there is NEVER a sole reason.

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

It would have been nice if McCartney had just said, "I think that Jon Embree or Eric Bieniemy would make tremendous coaches for the University of Colorado" and just left it at that.

That way, he could have applied the pressure he wanted, without looking like a complete fool in the process.

13. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Somebody at CU please get the PR surrounding the selection process for the new head coach under control.

It's clear that Bill McCartney has more weight with the media than Mike Bohn. McCartney's stollen all the thunder, and for what?

This is not something I want to hang my hat upon.

14. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

you mean like this:

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...e-for-colorado-coach-thinks-were-all-racists/

15. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

To quote AJ: "Mac, please shut up."

16. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

come on people-

Mac did what he did & said what he said ON PURPOSE...
    I really believe Bohn was being the ususal whimp that he is and was prolonging the situation and could have
    possibly been reconsidering what he wanted to do. I seriously believe Mac let the cat out of the bag and brought up
    "black men" on purpose so that Bohn could not make a last second change of mind. It's rather amusing to see Mac have more balls than Bohn could ever imagine having.

17. CUBUFF80

Meh, I would hope we are beyond this issue, I think Mac was out of line.

18. InTheBuff

I'm probably in the minority but Mac did CU a favor yesterday.

19. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts. This administration has jumped the fence more often than a politician in an election year. I also think that Mac is trying to avoid another Neuheimlich last minute move. I think Mac knows exactly what he is doing.

20. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Mac doesn't work in the AD or receive a check from CU so he has no business meddling in it

Daaah likes this.
  21. CUBUFF80

One thing I'll give him is consistency, good or bad he'll always be a lightning rod.

22. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

23. badfish650

badfish650 Member

24. AlferdJasper

Mac may have THOUGHT he knew what he was doing, but who the hell gave him permission to interfere this way? Didn't Embree (assuming it's him) deserve the appropriate introduction to the BuffNation? Didn't the projected staff deserve 24 hours notice to let their current bosses know they were leaving to coach at CU?

NOT Mac's place to interrupt the process and refocus the conversation on himself. If Embree called him for advice, support or to share the news and did NOT say "and by the way Mac, I'd be honored if you would leak this to that slimeball Henderson if you have a chance" -- then on top of it all, Mac destroyed his trust with Embree by sharing information not ready to be shared.

And if Embree did that, we picked the wrong guy. He's not HC material if he asked this to be leaked. Bohn is his boss (or will be) and should be allowed to announce this when the ink has dried on the contracts.

25. CUBUFF80

:congrats:

26. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

agreed

27. Crash Davis

Crash Davis MA....THE MEATLOAF!!! Club Member

Who the hell's permission does Mac need to speak to the media?

And that Big Lead article was just stupid. "We have a black president". Which proves what? That racism is over?

College football, as a whole, has an embarrasingly poor track record of hiring black coaches. Even the NFL has been more progressive in that regard. I have no problem with what Mac said.

28. max4buffs

max4buffs Well-Known Member

A lot of chest bumping going on right now. Its important to remember that money talks. Within the next year, Mac will be involved with the program in some aspect. IMHO.

29. AlferdJasper

I doubt that will please Mike Bohn, who is taking the heat right now for not being able to rein in Mac and his commentary. Should be a frosty relationship at best.

30. InTheBuff

Hello Mr. Anschutz....