What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac says it is Embo

Lots to still play out here. I would support Bohn if he did low-ball JE a bit becasue, well, he really has a lot to prove as a HC. I would also say the only way that EB comes (IMHO - I don't know crap) is if he is paid well and maybe that could be a strategy. What if EB was given a decent erm deal that doesn't differ much from JE?

Would that be smart? Not sure, but what if it played out that way.

All I can say is that this hire BETTER come with some substantial donations behind it OR the list of assistants are committed and not just fiction...that is the only way that I can come to terms with it personally.

Good points on the NFL season and Embree.

Embree seems milquetoast compared to EB. But who doesn't? Embree is cerebral and a cool customer. I remember Barney losing his head on the sideline and Embo telling him when to call a TO etc. I like Embree, I hope EB comes along. I'm sure Embo and Mac (Alfred...) are twisting his arm right now. Let's hope part of any new coaching deal there is plenty of money on the table to attract and keep good assistant coaches. That's the real key to our long term success.

Rough 'em up!

The reason I think EB will come along is that there probably isn't going to be an NFL season next year. How long is he here? 2 years, max. But, I bet CU matches or ups the salary he is making right now.

Time to get behind Embo. One thing I will say for him, from personal experience, is that he is a lot more intense and fiery than he is being given credit for on these boards.

Embree would be a soft/safe hire - a trademark of DeBohn. I'm sure that his background check went a lot smoother than EB's. But we are NOW taking a flyer on the Redskins TE coach?

Embree would be a soft/safe hire - a trademark of DeBohn. I'm sure that his background check went a lot smoother than EB's. But we are NOW taking a flyer on the Redskins TE coach?

Look, I would have preferred EB as well, but maybe you can explain to me the difference between taking a flyer on the Redskins' TE coach and taking a flyer on the Vikings' RB coach? In fact, if you were just looking at resumes and not basing this on anything else, you'd pick Embree every time.

Look, I would have preferred EB as well, but maybe you can explain to me the difference between taking a flyer on the Redskins' TE coach and taking a flyer on the Vikings' RB coach? In fact, if you were just looking at resumes and not basing this on anything else, you'd pick Embree every time.

Eric Bieniemy can go into living rooms and say I coached Adrian Petersen in the NFL. What's Embree going to say to them?

In fact, if you were just looking at resumes and not basing this on anything else, you'd pick Embree every time.

based on resumes and nothing else, you'd also pick Calhoun over either Embree or EB.....

which is part of why this search seems sour and amateurish to me. nothing against Embree but he's not exactly a "hot" name that's out there.

The ticket makes it sound like EB and JE are coming as a package deal.

9 years in the NFL vs 2. Furthermore, to college kids, Running back is a lot sexier of a position than tight ends coach. When you are talking to 18 year old kids, do you think they care more about AP or Tony G?

We should have just hired Karl Dorrell, he's Embree 1.0. EB would bring the fanbase together, more than Embree will, and I'm certain that EB would be the better recruiter. Whether, they choose EB or Embree, I want the cupboard STUFFED for the next coach - if our new hire fails. I can see why the search committee likes Embree - he's SAFE/SOFT just like our administration and past 5 years of play on the field. Good grief :(

The TE with the most TD's in the league this year, and one of, if not THE best blocking tight end in the NFL are pure garbage obviously :smile2:

The TE with the most TD's and the best blocking TE are obviously the biggest stars in the NFL so Embree was the obvious pick. I mean being able to name drop Graham and Lewis, national title next year for SURE, with those guaranteed hall of famers to name drop :eyeroll:

But those same Cali kids watched Tony G more than Adrian Petersen.

When? When TG was good 10 years ago when they were 8? People are watching national games and national names. When they did they watch Tony G? When he was with the Chiefs in 1997?

The TE with the most TD's and the best blocking TE are obviously the biggest stars in the NFL so Embree was the obvious pick. I mean being able to name drop Graham and Lewis, national title next year for SURE, with those guaranteed hall of famers to name drop :eyeroll:

In no way was that inferred by my post....just refuting your post that they are both garbage tight ends...but take a look at some of the names Embree has recruited in another thread, nothing you can balk at

I wonder how big a part of recruiting does name dropping play? It's probably more about what these coaches and program can do for the recruit.

Eric Bieniemy can go into living rooms and say I coached Adrian Petersen in the NFL. What's Embree going to say to them?

If he gets the job, Embree is going to say that he's the head coach at CU and he'll layout his vision for the university and where the young man he's talking to fits into that. Which is more-or-less what I'd expect Bieniemy to do. Face it, if the best line your HC can pull out in front of a recruit is, "I coached Adrian Peterson in the NFL", then you're in deep ****.

If he gets the job, Embree is going to say that he's the head coach at CU and he'll layout his vision for the university and where the young man he's talking to fits into that. Which is more-or-less what I'd expect Bieniemy to do. Face it, if the best line your HC can pull out in front of a recruit is, "I coached Adrian Peterson in the NFL", then you're in deep ****.

Yea, I think name dropping is a pretty flimsy recruiting plan.

Been waiting for the right occasion to pop the cork on this one.

Please, please, please Bohn hire Jon Embree!

The entire CU fanbase should have been prepared for the Boulder moonbat mafia to try and derail the hiring process. Everyone with even a passing interest in CU football should have closed ranks and presented a united front against letting them further marginalize the program. If we'd stuck together we might, MIGHT have gotten a decent coach past the faculty. Instead, we get personal attacks from "football fans" that have absolutely nothing to do with football or coaching flying in left and right against good coaches on the BDC/DP comments and in regents' emails. One narrow but VOCAL sector of the fanbase throwing an immature hissy fit because Bohn even dared interview anyone besides their guy.

Apparently backfired because EB has pulled stunts so embarassing in his few years in Boulder that if Mac had done same he would have voluntarily given up his status as a public figure. And EB hasn't really got much in the way of qualifications for the job. So if EB is some kind of super-candidate, then by extension the Vogon search committee figured anyone with a little position coach experience and CU ties must be more than qualifed to be CU's next HC. Right? Right.

The EB-or-doom-keyboard-warrior-suicide-bomber-terrorist-crew raised so much of a stink about Calhoun and Mac that they ended up gooching EBs chances as part of the collateral damage. Embree is the cracker jack prize at the bottom of the box of stupid they've been munching the past couple months. Their parents should take it away from them before they choke on it.

Every PAC coach is licking their chops and laughing maniacally right now. A fanbase sophomoric enough to go after its own champion with pitchforks & lanterns deserves whatever they get. Yes, alot of good fans and CU prestige are going to be negatively impacted as well. I don't care anymore.

Hope these folks learn a life lesson. Could have banded together to demand football as the primary consideration in the coaching search, and let the chips fall where they may. But, no. They used the nuclear option and staged a political hit to take Mac out of the running. Now it looks like we'll all be living on MREs in the fallout shelter for the forseeable future. Nothing left to do but grow some trustafarian dreds, wrap a dewrag around our heads, huddle in a corner and pass the FAIL around the circle.

Nothing personal against Embree. Good fella, and I'm sure he runs a totally bumpin' bake sale. There were just literally dozens of more qualified candidates. At this point, I find it difficult to manage any loyalty or enthusiasm for CU football or DOCU in general. Been having to fake my way through it too much through the Churchill fiasco and Hawkins' tenure. I'm tired.

Once again. Nothing personal against Jon Embree. I remember watching him play at Folsom when I was a kid. Class act. Best of luck to him.

CU as an organization has ratcheted things up a notch in their bid to beat the Donks to the bottom of the barrel. Been a CU fan for a long time. Wouldn't consider myself a superfan or a big spender, but have been to at least one game maybe all but 3 of the past 25 yrs. Was wearing Buff stuff to Jr High back when that pretty much guaranteed to draw snickers and run-ins with Jr nubsters. I'm done until the university shows at least some commitment to winning football games. My Buff stuff is going into storage. I'll be spending my football time & money supporting local HS ball next fall.

Do enjoy the commentary and most of the posters here. It is a FACT that I may or may not be around to stir the pot in the future.

Apparently backfired because EB has pulled stunts so embarassing in his few years in Boulder that if Mac had done same he would have voluntarily given up his status as a public figure. And EB hasn't really got much in the way of qualifications for the job. So if EB is some kind of super-candidate, then by extension the Vogon search committee figured anyone with a little position coach experience and CU ties must be more than qualifed to be CU's next HC. Right? Right.

The EB-or-doom-keyboard-warrior-suicide-bomber-terrorist-crew raised so much of a stink about Calhoun and Mac that they ended up gooching EBs chances as part of the collateral damage. Embree is the cracker jack prize at the bottom of the box of stupid they've been munching the past couple months. Their parents should take it away from them before they choke on it.

I do agree with this portion of the post. It was personally offputting to see the Calhoun hate on here especially. He is actually far more qualified for this job than EB is. I don't want to hear the same crap that people had been spewing about how he would be Dan Hawkins Pt II based solely on the fact that he is coming from a non-BCS school. He had an Air Force team, one with maybe 1/4 of the talent CU has on its roster, play Oklahoma down to the wire. He wins 8-9 games per year at a service academy. He has NFL experience. He was good enough for Tennessee, but not CU? I mean geez, what if nobody ever gave Urban Meyer, Rich Rod, Tressel, etc. a chance. I mean they coached at non-BCS schools right? So they couldn't possibly get a program going anywhere, they'd just be Dan Hawkins Part II according to this board right? Meanwhile a guy with a spotty history, who has never been a coordinator in his life is the one everybody is screaming for to get the job. Why the fascination with Bienemy? Because he is fiery, recruited a few good players, and man was he a great running back when he played here 20 years ago? It's completely non-sensical that people on here were screaming bloody murder about guys like Calhoun or Belotti, while jumping for joy at an ex-Buff, solely for the fact that he is an ex-Buff. People need to stop living in 1990... it isn't the glory days around here anymore. Lots of things have changed.

Who knows, maybe an EB or Embree hire will turn the ship around, maybe it won't. But I feel the AD and the fans have gone about this the completely wrong way.

Hasn't EB shown much better recruiting prowess/results? Given that neither coach has HC experience, that might be what puts Bieniemy's resume ahead of Embree's.

if he brings in the staff that was rumored in that staff list thread, i think this is a great hire and i would have faith in him, knowing that he is able to surround himself with a strong staff. if that staff is NOT correct (and i would be very surprised if he could bring in some of those guys), i am not excited at all

I'd be pretty disappointed if the search committee and Bohn paid much attention to internet boards - ANY internet boards... Anonymity breeds stupidity and halfassedness.

exactly. Adrian Petersen is a much bigger name than Tony G too.

He was a much bigger name before he ever met eb.

looks like all the folks who insisted that only an "in the family" hire would do got exactly the search they wanted.:huh:

I'd be pretty disappointed if the search committee and Bohn paid much attention to internet boards - ANY internet boards... Anonymity breeds stupidity and halfassedness.

Actually The Walrus is my real name.

Back