What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac says it is Embo

He was a much bigger name before he ever met eb.

looks like all the folks who insisted that only an "in the family" hire would do got exactly the search they wanted.:huh:

Not true at all. I said if we are going to go with family I was only for EB.. I was against Mac and I never thought Jon Embree would be a serious candidate and never would be considered for the head job.

Last edited:
Not true at all that Adrian Peterson wasn't a huge name? The media gushed over the guy like they gushed over Tebow after him. Many claimed him to be one of the best college tailbacks of all time, and to you that means he wasn't a big name? I actually hear less about him now than I did when he was in college.

Not true at all that Adrian Peterson wasn't a huge name? The media gushed over the guy like they gushed over Tebow after him. Many claimed him to be one of the best college tailbacks of all time, and to you that means he wasn't a big name? I actually hear less about him now than I did when he was in college.

I think he means the second part of my post isn't true. That the crowd that couldn't stop screaming about how the next coach had to be in the family, a true buff, etc. etc. really meant that the next coach had to be Bieniemy...

I think he means the second part of my post isn't true. That the crowd that couldn't stop screaming about how the next coach had to be in the family, a true buff, etc. etc. really meant that the next coach had to be Bieniemy...

Ahh ok. I do agree with the second part of your earlier post. Like I said a few back about Calhoun, it seemed like everybody had to have a CU guy, regardless of the qualifications or experience compared to somebody outside of the program. It appears it will get a guy with no coordinator experience and a resume that doesn't lend itself to being a HC at a BCS level job... but hey, because he played here during the glory days that makes him better than other candidates.

Update from the DP states that JE is going to be the HC and EB will be the OC, "you can hang your hat on it," according to McCartney.

I think we are moving in the right direction. Embree/Bienemy combo sounds pretty darn good to me.

I know that I am in the minority here, but I am excited about this hire.

I think that 5 years from now, everyone is going to be VERY happy that we made this decision.

JE is a great coach, a fiery leader, and he is Colorado through and through. He will put together a great staff, and his teams will play inspired, physical football.

I know that many are dissapointed, but I strongly believe that this will end up being one of the landmark hires in CU football history (for good reasons)

I think that 5 years from now, everyone is going to be VERY happy that we made this decision.

JE is a great coach, a fiery leader, and he is Colorado through and through. He will put together a great staff, and his teams will play inspired, physical football.

I know that many are dissapointed, but I strongly believe that this will end up being one of the landmark hires in CU football history (for good reasons)

I certainly hope you're right. We all do.

Hope you're right if true but I think it's a weak hire at this crucial stage of the program. Everyone is counting on EB coming if embree is head coach. Why? CU is screwing this up like they always do. Mac says one thing,bohn says another,lombardi says another and so on...

I'll say this again, you really think embree excites fans,alums,donors and recruits? I do not.

Hope you're right if true but I think it's a weak hire at this crucial stage of the program. Everyone is counting on EB coming if embree is head coach. Why? CU is screwing this up like they always do. Mac says one thing,bohn says another,lombardi says another and so on...

I'll say this again, you really think embree excites fans,alums,donors and recruits? I do not.

I never made the claim that JE would excite fans, alums, donors and recruits as a hire. "Everyone" that is counting on EB coming is not in a position to know or influence the situation.

Hawkins initially excited a lot of people. Hawkins turned out to be a ****ty football coach.

Ultimately, what will excite everyone that matters is a winning football team. Jon Embree is a WINNER. JE was part of the CU program during it's most important transitional/building years under MAC (83-86). He has seen what it takes, and been a part of turning this specific program around. He will put together a fantastic staff that will recruit lights out and coach hard. Yes, I do hope that includes EB, because he brings a lot to the table, but it really isn't the end of the world if he doesn't come.

JE will demand excellence and exceptional effort from everyone involved in the program. He knows all three phases of the game thoroughly. Parents of recruits will love him. Players will love him....he knows what it takes to win at this level, he will push them hard to make them better, and he will treat them fair.

No doubt that JE will have a learning curve in this new position, but I believe he will adapt quickly.

I couldn't disagree more that this is a weak hire....and I believe that time will prove that. Just because he isn't a name, should qualify his hiring as being weak. Harbaugh wasn't a "name" coach when he was hired...not as we are defining it here and now anyway.

EDIT: OH, and he will emphasize recruiting D-Line...you should like that.

Last edited:
I never made the claim that JE would excite fans, alums, donors and recruits as a hire. "Everyone" that is counting on EB coming is not in a position to know or influence the situation.

Hawkins initially excited a lot of people. Hawkins turned out to be a ****ty football coach.

Ultimately, what will excite everyone that matters is a winning football team. Jon Embree is a WINNER. JE was part of the CU program during it's most important transitional/building years under MAC (83-86). He has seen what it takes, and been a part of turning this specific program around. He will put together a fantastic staff that will recruit lights out and coach hard. Yes, I do hope that includes EB, because he brings a lot to the table, but it really isn't the end of the world if he doesn't come.

JE will demand excellence and exceptional effort from everyone involved in the program. He knows all three phases of the game thoroughly. Parents of recruits will love him. Players will love him....he knows what it takes to win at this level, he will push them hard to make them better, and he will treat them fair.

No doubt that JE will have a learning curve in this new position, but I believe he will adapt quickly.

I couldn't disagree more that this is a weak hire....and I believe that time will prove that. Just because he isn't a name, should qualify his hiring as being weak. Harbaugh wasn't a "name" coach when he was hired...not as we are defining it here and now anyway.

EDIT: OH, and he will emphasize recruiting D-Line...you should like that.

I'll stop saying weak hire when you stop with the "fantastic staff'. We have no idea who's coming in and you can bet EB won't be one of them. He CAN recruit. Better hope the rest can too.

Again, what other program in the country would hire embree?

I gave hawk a chance, I'm not in the mood anymore...
Syko, I understand your frustration - and share a lot of it. You obviously care a great deal about CU or you (or any of us, for that matter) wouldn't be this invested. You're absolutely right about Hawk - but his failure doesn't necessarily mean it will be repeated. All I'm sayin' is let's not warm up the tar and unpack the feathers just yet. There will be plenty of opportunity for that should it ever be warranted. If this hire goes down, he'll take Mike Bohn with him.

Syko, I understand your frustration - and share a lot of it. You obviously care a great deal about CU or you (or any of us, for that matter) wouldn't be this invested. You're absolutely right about Hawk - but his failure doesn't necessarily mean it will be repeated. All I'm sayin' is let's not warm up the tar and unpack the feathers just yet. There will be plenty of opportunity for that should it ever be warranted. If this hire goes down, he'll take Mike Bohn with him.

Well said.

82ndairborne-l.jpg
images
I personally think you should be pissed as hell.

It boils down to this: Are you gonna live up to your name or not?

I stated "well said", didn't say I would stop melting down and going psycho...

Last edited:
I'll stop saying weak hire when you stop with the "fantastic staff'. We have no idea who's coming in and you can bet EB won't be one of them. He CAN recruit. Better hope the rest can too.

Again, what other program in the country would hire embree?

Very good coaches will want to work for Embree, and this could include EB....I know this for a fact.

I am done defending. You all that want to claim the sky is falling and stamp failure on this hire before he has even stepped to the podium...that's your problem. The guy is a Buff, and deserves a legit shot. I won't answer your last question because it would take an hour. I truly believe that he will win BIG here.

Back