What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be back !!!

ok..ok..

I have a reliable source. A customer where I work who played for CU in the mid 1960s.
I actually saw him yesterday & said "I heard a rumor Coach Mac wants to coach at CU again."
My customer looked surprised and told me "Whom ever is your source is 100% correct"

He went ahead and did mention the 2-3 yr max term- Mac would bring in several black assistant coaches and the idea
would be for either EB or Embree to take over as head coach. This is something the big $$$ donors want.
Sounds like Bohn needs to be convinced as he has tunnel vision towards Calhoun.

A totally unreliable source told me that a fairly reliable source (i.e., former player) said the same thing. I'm not sure if it is truth or just collective wishful thinking, but I would love for it to happen.

I was a Redskins game last week and was looking for Embree on the sidelines to tell him to come back to CU, but he was up in the box.

The reason you guys kept Hawk around last year is because you didn't have the $$ to pay him off. Now you're believing a rumor that they'll do it mid-season which actually hurts a teams ability to make money during the season?? Not plausible.

Bologna

Just to pile on this stupid ****ing post: Kamel: Don't believe everything Chip Brown or Orangebloods writes.

FWIW-

Mac not wanting to do anything till after last game is played in 2010-
he thinks it's not a good idea to change coaches in the middle of a season.... so even if CU starts the season 2-7 or 3-6 don't expect coaching changes till December-

The reason you guys kept Hawk around last year is because you didn't have the $$ to pay him off. Now you're believing a rumor that they'll do it mid-season which actually hurts a teams ability to make money during the season?? Not plausible.

Bologna

It really sucks that this is what most college football fans believe. **** you ship brown

It really sucks that this is what most college football fans believe. **** you ship brown

Well, it's a lot easier to say: CU doesn't have the money, than actually explain the situation which might take 15, or gasp, 20 words. Chip has a short attention span....

FWIW-

Mac not wanting to do anything till after last game is played in 2010-
he thinks it's not a good idea to change coaches in the middle of a season.... so even if CU starts the season 2-7 or 3-6 don't expect coaching changes till December-

There's probably a lot of truth in this.

Not to mention, Hawkins buyout doesn't go down until the season is OVER.

Bologna
Not true. Sacky was going to fund the buy out from his own pocket.

You have heard of Joe Paterno, right?

thats your argument... JOEPA... he's been a damn figurehead for the last 12 years...and he is also a single example, who has coached NON-STOP since the 50's... he didnt take 15 years off like mac... mac was a legend... but move forward not back

The age is definitely a concern. My business partners are both around that age, so I've seen it first hand. Memory isn't what it once was. Lots more doctor appointments and minor procedures getting in the way of work hours. Meetings that drift off topic as they drift into telling a story from 20 years ago that I've heard 50 times. Energy level that's not what it used to be (forget about 70-80 hour work weeks and a long work day that includes travel really takes its toll).

But all that said, there are also a lot of positives. There's a very rich knowledge base. There's a greater premium put on personal relationships and mentoring that motivates the people under them and builds loyalty. There's an earned respect that allows them to call anyone in the industry, have the phone answered, and being able to set up a face-to-face meeting on short notice. There's a deep group of contacts willing to work for them, consult for them, or just give advice or a favor.

Basically, there are advantages to go along with the drawbacks. Along as the person is committed and not just trying to stay active because retirement bores him, it can work. There needs to be a strong organization and support system in place, especially to assist with the technology stuff (most people that age don't text, know how to use a DVR, aren't able to handle web meetings, can't do even a modest internet search, have no clue what to do if their technology breaks down, etc., etc.). But handled correctly, you have a leader for your organization with a set of skills that are unique to being at that age. One of the most important attributes this leader needs to have is an honest realism about himself and his inability to be the same guy he was when he was 50.

thats... your argument... JOEPA has been a figurehead for the last 12 years...and he is also a signle example who has coached NON-STOP since the 5-'s he didnt take 15 years off like mac... mac was a legend... but move forward not back

No it isn't the enitrety of my argument, which, by the way, was a response to Kamel. But since you have so graciously leaped in, my point was that age, in and of itself, is not necessarily an insurmountable hurdle to CFB coaching.

Personally, as much as I love Mac as coach, and the fact I still think he could do it, I'd prefer to get a coach who was the answer now, not a bridge for someone else to cross. JMO.

Have you watched Joe Paterno during a football game lately? He just stares at the field....hes not talking into a headset, he's not holding a play sheet...he's just standing there waiting to die.

You are all heart Kamel...:lol:

No it isn't the enitrety of my argument, which, by the way, was a response to Kamel. But since you have so graciously leaped in, my point was that age, in and of itself, is not necessarily an insurmountable hurdle to CFB coaching.

Personally, as much as I love Mac as coach, and the fact I still think he could do it, I'd prefer to get a coach who was the answer now, not a bridge for someone else to cross. JMO.
fair enough... i also refuse to believe either jon embree or eric bieniemy to be capable of being head coaches at this point in time... just because they were great buffs doesnt mean they will be great head coaches... for me i want a proven head coach... or at least someone who has been a head coach at one point or another... quite frankly... if bieniemy embree or logan were up the position... and as blasphemous as this is... ID TAKE LOGAN...AND I HATE LOGAN ( i know this wasnt your point... just wanted to go off on a tangent)

I didn't mention his age in an attempt at arguing he won't be coming back...it was more of an FYI...I didn't know he was that old.

So who is that person??

The day Hawkins was introduced as Colorado's head football coach, it sure looked like he was that person. Turns out, we were wrong.

If the thinking is that Embree or Bienemy is going to be CU's head coach -- neither one of those guys is ready, today, to take on that responsibility. Bringing in a person like McCartney to serve as head coach, meanwhile preparing / grooming someone like Bienemy or Embree to take over in a year or two, is a good solution, IMO.

So who is that person??

The day Hawkins was introduced as Colorado's head football coach, it sure looked like he was that person. Turns out, we were wrong.

If the thinking is that Embree or Bienemy is going to be CU's head coach -- neither one of those guys is ready, today, to take on that responsibility. Bringing in a person like McCartney to serve as head coach, meanwhile preparing / grooming someone like Bienemy or Embree to take over in a year or two, is a good solution, IMO.

If I knew the answer to hat question, I'd likely be an AD somewhere.

However, I'd gladly take the Mac option over what we have now. I am not opposed to it, I just think you are better off bringing in a guy who is not 70, even if it is a legend like Mac who certainly would have success.

But you are right, there are no guarantees, I was very excited aobut Hawk at first. Turns out he was our Buddy Teevens instead of our Bob Stoops.

However, I'd gladly take the Mac option over what we have now. I am not opposed to it, I just think you are better off bringing in a guy who is not 70, even if it is a legend like Mac who certainly would have success.

But you are right, there are no guarantees, I was very excited aobut Hawk at first. Turns out he was our Buddy Teevens instead of our Bob Stoops.

And - I think that is the same problem confronting Mike Bohn right now.

Colorado has limited donors - but I do think they would rally behind / support certain head coaches more than others. Hawkins had the benefit of an amazing record and a tremendous background of coaching on multiple levels. If there was a coach who appeared ready to take the step to the "big leagues" it was Dan Hawkins. For whatever reason, he has not performed.

So I think it will be a herculean uphill task to sell another "Dan Hawkins" to the Colorado donors, limited though they might be. Announce Troy Calhoun as CU's next head football coach and I think CU will have to give away tickets just to get people to the games.

I'd take a look at Jim Grobe if I were CU

What's the appeal of this idea? Is it that anyone but Hawk is an improvement, or that bringing in EB and/or JE sets us up for the future, or do people really think Mac can come in after 15+ years off and still get it done. I worry it's a lot of nostalgia mixed with the anybody-but-Hawk attitude. Honestly (this may sound blasphemous), if it wasn't for the media s**tstorm it would cause, I'd rather have Barnett back with Bienemy and Embree as assitants/coach in waiting.

I'd take a look at Jim Grobe if I were CU

Ideally, you don't want a guy 60 years old. Grobe is 58, not that that disqualifies him but an ideal, and I emphasize ideal, candidate would be in his early forties, dynamic and have a high level of BCS experience. Those guys are awfully hard to find, so you end up compromising on something along the way. I think Grobe is a great coach, but he just doesn't excite me, nor does Calhoun.

What's the appeal of this idea? Is it that anyone but Hawk is an improvement, or that bringing in EB and/or JE sets us up for the future, or do people really think Mac can come in after 15+ years off and still get it done. I worry it's a lot of nostalgia mixed with the anybody-but-Hawk attitude. Honestly (this may sound blasphemous), if it wasn't for the media s**tstorm it would cause, I'd rather have Barnett back with Bienemy and Embree as assitants/coach in waiting.
It's hard to imagine soemone could come in and get worse results than Hawk, although it is theoretically possible. Baney was three times the coach Hawk is. It is too bad he got shafted out of CU. Without the scandal, I think CU would have been a pretty good team over the years with GB at the helm, occasionally making a run at the B12 title.

Ideally, you don't want a guy 60 years old. Grobe is 58, not that that disqualifies him but an ideal, and I emphasize ideal, candidate would be in his early forties, dynamic and have a high level of BCS experience. Those guys are awfully hard to find, so you end up compromising on something along the way. I think Grobe is a great coach, but he just doesn't excite me, nor does Calhoun.

That would be Grobe's offensive coordinator- Steed Lobotzke.

There are alot of good young coaches. I would like to see fresh blood. No disrespect to Mac - he's a legend.

Last edited:
Like WHO?
Gary Patterson - he's not a pup, but he's not old. I think KSU could have had him a few years back, but their SID shot off his mouth, without speaking to him first and blew the deal. He's 50 years old. Bronco Mendenhall and there are others.
work..jpg

Last edited:
Gary Patterson - he's not a pup, but he's not old. I think KSU could have had him a few years back, but their SID shot off his mouth, without speaking to him first and blew the deal. He's 50 years old. Bronco Mendenhall and there are others.

Hard for me to get excited about Gary Patterson. While his teams have been good, his entire freaking roster is from fertile Texas. Hard to know if his success would be the same at CU. No slam dunk in my opinion.

you think we could get either of them?

Back