What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre (and Bobo) talks about issues with the recruiting game with USA Today

What did P.T. Barnum say? "There is no such thing as bad publicity?"

MacIntyre said he'd like to do a study analyzing the past 10 years of highly touted high school players and how their college careers actually panned out. He's noticed how early attention changed players — often without them realizing they were changing — and also something prohibited development, both as a football player and as a young adult.

"With all of the media attention to it, I think it changes and corrupts kids a little bit at a young age," MacIntyre said. "They're too young to really handle it all."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cintyre-college-football-recruiting/28265321/

I'd like to see that as well. Didn't someone post an article a few years back that showed 2*/3* had the biggest impact? If I recall the star was partly at fault because they limit the number of 5* < 4* < 3* < 2* < 1*. Thus there are more 2* and 3* placed in a starting/impact role because there are simply more of them than there are of 5* and 4* players

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/01/super_bowl_2015_seahawks_patri.html

Star Wars again? There were no 5* players in this year's superbowl. In the Bronco/Seattle superbowl, there were more 2* players than 4 & 5 combined.

There's obviously some validity to the star system, but I think some guys give it a lot more weight than it deserves. In many cases it's just guys who peak physically early. If you recruit solid guys that will be around as juniors and seniors, it limits the difference somewhat.

Last edited:
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/01/super_bowl_2015_seahawks_patri.html

Star Wars again? There were no 5* players in this year's superbowl. In the Bronco/Seattle superbowl, there were more 2* players than 4 & 5 combined.

There's obviously some validity to the star system, but I think some guys give it a lot more weight than it deserves. In many cases it's just guys who peak physically early. If you recruit solid guys that will be around as juniors and seniors, it limits the difference somewhat.

I don't worry about stars, I do worry about competitive offers.

You may find a few quality guys out there who were either overlooked or incorrectly evaluated by the other schools but I don't believe there are enough to close to fill a class.

The competing coaches are also not all stupid enough to make that many mistakes in missing or overlooking quality players, the other coaches are paid to and their jobs depend on finding the right talent.

So while I would take a 3* with Bama and USC offers over a 4* who's best offer is Vandy when a kid has zero P5 offers that is a big red flag. This is even more true now with the camp circuit and the ease of sending video files by computer.

There are a lot of top pro players who were lower rated and many who didn't have big offers and went to less prominent schools but we aren't trying to win a super bowl.

In last years NC playoff how many of the scholarship kids on all four teams had no other P5 offers except the school they played for. I would venture that the number is pretty small and some of those are kids who only didn't get other offers is because they made it clear they were going to their "dream school."

I'm not going to pretend I don't worry about stars. I do. If I see that CU is in on a 5*, I'm immediately going to get excited before I even look at the offer list or film. Same goes for a 4*, though I may get concerned if I see that rating early in the cycle but don't see the offers that back it up.

Anything below 4* and I pretty much go by offer list and film. I couldn't care less whether someone is 3*, 2* or unrated once we get outside that top 250 guys that even my mother could look at and tell you he can play.

I think stars are important overall for the prediction for the team, but not necessarily a good predictor of individual players. We obviously aren't in a position to get a bunch of 4-5* so I still have faith in Mac and his system; his 2015 team looks to boast a much more physical and competitive roster. Fingers crossed.

Back