What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre considering adding an eighth QB

That's the truth. If Fishback is our starter at QB, he has only the summer to get prepared instead of going through the motions in spring ball. Given our WR play the last few seasons, I'd not be too hot about the offense unless we run the ball well.

Nothing wrong with going with a CO kid as a QB based on the last three CO kids to play at QB for the Buffs. I'm saying one CO and one CA kid for the 2014 class if possible. I'd be happy with any good QB play at this point regardless of where the QB comes from.
This year should be the best WR corps we've had in a long time. We have Paul Richardson coming back to provide a deep threat (something we didn't have last year), Gerald Thomas has a year of experience, Nelson Spruce won't be the #1 target this year which will open things up for him, we have Jeff Thomas this year, along with the incoming freshman. Lindgren's offense is also a lot more passing friendly. Instead of long developing pass plays with no deep threat (ie. last year), the offense focuses on completing high percentage passes

I look forward to Jeff Thomas actually participating in practice again. I hate the feeling I'm getting with the reports he's not practicing. "here we go againnnn"

Ohio state never offered. They were recruiting him but backed off a bit after junior year. Miami was recruiting him and to Alabama he was just on a long list of potential plan C's. there is a reason he committed here. Possibly the same reason sego did. Lack of offers.

Exactly. Kinda what I've been saying for awhile. I've always scratched my head about why Dillon - so highly rated - would choose CU. After further investigation after his junior season, most teams backed off. Fact is, he was recruited for Embo's pro-style offense, and he just doesn't have the physical makeup for the pistol. I could very easily see him out on the edge on the option keeper and a LB drives his repaired shoulder into the ground and ... donezo.

This team is not going to get a blue-chip ANYTHING for awhile. We need to find diamonds in the rough, under the radar guys. Maybe Fishback is one of those guys.

I'm not upset that Fishback may, or may not, come into camp this summer. I am upset by what appears to be the conclusion none of the QB's on the roster are ready to paly at the P12 level.
Hopefully that is not actually the conclusion. Until I see which qb's are about to be shown the door, and how the 'winners' of the qb derby perform in the spring game, I am going to hold on to a little hope. My glass half full view is that coach realizes that there are qb's on the roster right now that will never have any chance of playing a down for CU. Fishback seems to have a Pac 12 arm and at least has some potential. That is better than a few of the current qb's on the roster. I could see Dillon or Hirschman getting the chance with Webb sticking around as a backup that can come in and offer a little stability in case the other two fall apart physically or mentally. Sefo can hopefully redshirt and take over if Dillon or Hirschman fail to claim the spot by the end of the year.

Ohio state never offered. They were recruiting him but backed off a bit after junior year. Miami was recruiting him and to Alabama he was just on a long list of potential plan C's. there is a reason he committed here. Possibly the same reason sego did. Lack of offers.
Oh give me a break. Did Crawley commit here because of lack of offers? De'Jon Wilson? Kisima Jagne? Tyler Henington? Gerald Thomas? Marques Mosley? Christian Powell? Justin Solis? Samson Kafovalu? Kory Rasmussen? I can keep going...

Exactly. Kinda what I've been saying for awhile. I've always scratched my head about why Dillon - so highly rated - would choose CU. After further investigation after his junior season, most teams backed off. Fact is, he was recruited for Embo's pro-style offense, and he just doesn't have the physical makeup for the pistol. I could very easily see him out on the edge on the option keeper and a LB drives his repaired shoulder into the ground and ... donezo.

This team is not going to get a blue-chip ANYTHING for awhile. We need to find diamonds in the rough, under the radar guys. Maybe Fishback is one of those guys.

You get to a good point. In the pistol QBs tend to get hit, a lot and hard. You have to have a QB who can take those hits and who knows how to take them without getting hurt.

I still have hopes for Dillon but his background is different than what we are talking about here.

Sefo on the other hand dealt with a lot of contact in HS. HS hits and college hits aren't the same thing but he took a lot of hits in his HS career and showed that he can manage them and still be highly effective. I think that Sefo could turn out to be the guy we are hoping for but he will take a little time to develop and get there.

Maybe Fishback or a guy like him is a way of buying time for a Sefo to develop into that guy and also a way of providing legitimate depth once he does.

I didnt read the thread therefore I do not know who "Fishback" is, I just want to make sure that there is a fish head reference.

Oh give me a break. Did Crawley commit here because of lack of offers? De'Jon Wilson? Kisima Jagne? Tyler Henington? Gerald Thomas? Marques Mosley? Christian Powell? Justin Solis? Samson Kafovalu? Kory Rasmussen? I can keep going...

I agree with this. The Buffs just need to show they're on the right track and recruiting will pick up exponentially. Like after Hawkins' 6 win season (top 20 class that fell apart later) and after Embree's 1st season when there was some optimism about the program. The failure to follow up with decent seasons killed us.

Put me in the camp with those who say that what we want is a coach who takes whatever measures his experience (and judgement) says he needs to take to win. If he got a good insider's look at our QB talent and said "Whoa! I had better do something about this!" (Knowing how the fan base and other QBs on the roster would react), THAT'S WHAT WE WANT.

Several people elsewhere were saying that coach Mac was about to find out the hard lesson that Hawk found out when he saw how tough the day-in-day-out Pac-12 (or in Hawk's case Big-12) competition is. Well, maybe he KNOWS...and this is how he reacts after looking at our roster and seeing what we have to match up to the other teams with.

Let's be realistic: we just went through the nightmare season of all nightmare seasons. Why should we be upset when someone looks at perhaps the most key position on the field and says that we need better? (Now...we can wonder about whether this new transfer will be an upgrade over what we have...but apparently we may have been looking at "what we have" with pro-Buff rose-colored glasses).

This is what we want to have happen guys. And the sooner the better. Have a new, experienced staff look at what we have (via Spring practices) and then decide what we need to do to improve. We all knew we had a talent deficit. Coach Mac now seems to be signalling that he sees this too. Better now then in NEXT year's Spring practices (after another disappointing season).

I mean...this actually feels like rebuilding should, doesn't it? It's about damn time. Let's fix things and start the winning cycles again. (fingers crossed).

Put me in the camp with those who say that what we want is a coach who takes whatever measures his experience (and judgement) says he needs to take to win. If he got a good insider's look at our QB talent and said "Whoa! I had better do something about this!" (Knowing how the fan base and other QBs on the roster would react), THAT'S WHAT WE WANT.

Several people elsewhere were saying that coach Mac was about to find out the hard lesson that Hawk found out when he saw how tough the day-in-day-out Pac-12 (or in Hawk's case Big-12) competition is. Well, maybe he KNOWS...and this is how he reacts after looking at our roster and seeing what we have to match up to the other teams with.

Let's be realistic: we just went through the nightmare season of all nightmare seasons. Why should we be upset when someone looks at perhaps the most key position on the field and says that we need better? (Now...we can wonder about whether this new transfer will be an upgrade over what we have...but apparently we may have been looking at "what we have" with pro-Buff rose-colored glasses).

This is what we want to have happen guys. And the sooner the better. Have a new, experienced staff look at what we have (via Spring practices) and then decide what we need to do to improve. We all knew we had a talent deficit. Coach Mac now seems to be signalling that he sees this too. Better now then in NEXT year's Spring practices (after another disappointing season).

I mean...this actually feels like rebuilding should, doesn't it? It's about damn time. Let's fix things and start the winning cycles again. (fingers crossed).

Rep sent.

Way to logical for allbuffs.

If M2 brings in another QB it might be a mistake, it might be a step in the right direction. He is hired and paid to make those decisions.

As fans we have a right to discuss and comment on these decisions as we have amply done here but ultimately it is M2's responsibility and future on the line. If he is right we are better off, if he is wrong and learns from it we are better off, if he is wrong and doesn't learn from it then we have Hawk/JE again and start over.

Found a self-made video of Fishback doing QB drills from last week. I am actually impressed by the skills. But there's a sense CU is about to film Necessary Roughness 2 that I can't ignore. I'm sure he's easy to get a hold of if anyone wants to ask him a question.

[video=youtube;o09VNN6ay4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09VNN6ay4Q[/video]

Is admissions going to let Sinbad in? Maybe HC Ed "Straight Arrow" Generro know something we don't. Scott Baccula ended up being a pretty good QB for a 40 year old time traveler. I would be careful about allowing another female kicker on the team though unless she looks like Cathy Ireland.

If he gets rid of several of the QB's we know are NOT the answer for one who might be a servicable QB, then it is either a gain, or a wash. Either way....he knows he has to do something. Maybe he sees Dillon and Sefo as keepers, but knows ideally he lets Dillon gain another year of weight building and experience, Sefo redshirt, and this guy to come in to fill in. Otherwise, Dillon gets hurt, and has to go to Sefo, which he might want to avoid breaking the reshirt. So trying to find a competent backup (or even starter) is something he HAS to do....as he does not have one now.

I don't think most people question bringing someone in if Mac has determined that he has a better chance of winning with the new kid, I think the major complaint is two-fold:

1) Upsetness that the current crop of QBs is so bad in Mac's assessment that he needs reinforcements. Dillon and Wood were both higher level recruits coming out of HS, Hirschman was thought to have some potential if he could stay healthy, and Webb has a ton of experience. Bringing in another QB is a pretty significant indictment of all of them.

2) We have had some of the worst QB recruitment an development in the country (and certainly in our conference) for years. This is just further proof of that.

At this point and as bad as CU is right now, then who cares. I really do not care if he held open tryouts for the student body to be honest. If you have 6 or 7 guys on the roster as of right now, and none of them can show the staff that they are "the guy", then there it is. Being an ex athlete and raising competitive athletes right now - it is all about seizing your opportunities when given the chance, period. Every QB on our roster currently has had that opportunity and well you know... So be it if some transfer and some quit, then it is what it is. When Sefo comes in and shows what he has and does not get it done? Then as a school / program, you have to do what it takes to get the best player on the field. If I was one of those kids father, I would be making it clear that time is of essence. You only have 4/5 years to get it done. GO BUFFS ! turn enough stones and they will find their "guy".

At this point and as bad as CU is right now, then who cares. I really do not care if he held open tryouts for the student body to be honest. If you have 6 or 7 guys on the roster as of right now, and none of them can show the staff that they are "the guy", then there it is. Being an ex athlete and raising competitive athletes right now - it is all about seizing your opportunities when given the chance, period. Every QB on our roster currently has had that opportunity and well you know... So be it if some transfer and some quit, then it is what it is. When Sefo comes in and shows what he has and does not get it done? Then as a school / program, you have to do what it takes to get the best player on the field. If I was one of those kids father, I would be making it clear that time is of essence. You only have 4/5 years to get it done. GO BUFFS ! turn enough stones and they will find their "guy".

Exactly this. MM has not done anything thus far to earn our trust; the flip-side is he hasn't done anything to cause us to not trust him (IMO). He can't be worse at evaluating QB talent than the last guy. Although extremely unfortunate, if he thinks we need Fishback, we probably need him. Whether we need him as a first or third string QB (or not at all), who knows.

Obviously, a few QBs need to be cut loose, not including Schrock who is not on scholarship and does fine for himself as a third or fourth or fifth option. Whoever suggested Dorman should be moved to safety is incredibly unfamiliar with Dorman's athletic ability.

Back