What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre promises better football days ahead for CU

I see people talking about Benson flipping his mindset, it doesn't make sense to me. He's a very successful businessman and those kind of people don't seem to me to be the people who just throw around millions without a string plan and a strong belief in he direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe but he turns 77 next month.

There is one small thing that Benson & DiStefano can do to help me turn the corner and go from a "hater" to a shill. It's called accountability.

I ask Benson & DiStefano to quit hiding behind the shadow of Bill McCartney on all things football related. I would like both leaders to show transparency in what their actions were from 2005-2011.

I want to hear them say, "we were stewards of the university and we dropped the ball. We had [x] role in the decision to prolong Hawkins/Bohn. We had [x] influence over the Embree hire. In hindsight, it's clear we didn't do things right.

Now we are in a position to make up for a past wrong. We know that the success of the football program is not in the hands of Bill McCartney. The buck stops not at Rick George, but with me. I as your [chancellor / president] will not rest well until the buffs travel to the rose bowl and bring home a P12 football championship trophy."

I am sick of having 'Tini or Digger or Tsarbomba or any other poster speaking for Benson and DiStephano. I am tired of Bill McCartney being the keeper of the faith for what CU football has been and what it can be again. I want Benson to be in George's office and at MacIntyre's recruiting luncheon whipping the CU faithful into a passionate frenzy.

Until that happens, I'll be suspicious that Benson and DiStephano are just into football for its impact on generating private funding.

What does that accomplish? I couldn't give a **** about a "mea culpa" admission by them. I actually think that most here would react to that by saying the admission is worthless, only actions to fix it matter. So really all I care about is seeing those actions. And I am seeing them. Words from politicians are meaningless to me.

I see people talking about Benson flipping his mindset, it doesn't make sense to me. He's a very successful businessman and those kind of people don't seem to me to be the people who just throw around millions without a string plan and a strong belief in he direction.

Perhaps, but for all the positive signs we are seeing now, he was also the president when we descended into the oblivion we are trying to crawl out of. More bad than good has happened under his watch with respect to the football program, so that has people cautiously optimistic, but still skeptical.

I've got 160 million reasons why I don't care about what happened in the past

RG is getting support direct from Benson. So long as Uncle Phil just stays out the way we will be fine on that front. As for HCMM, while recruiting is still meh, I'll reserve judgement until after this season. 5 or more wins and competitive in losses and I will feel we are on the right track. Less than 5 wins I will start having serious doubts. I don't think RG will hesitate to make a change if he is convinced MM isn't going to get it done. But, unless it is a 1-12 or 2-11 type disaster, don't see a change happening until after 2016 season if it comes to that.

That's because most of the football players in the B School don't have a problem with academics in the first place. I was an Econ major, graduating in 2010, and the lack of ****s given about football in that department is strong to quite strong.
I have friends in the B school now that are football players and they do struggle. A lot. Maybe things have changed since 2010, but don't act like Econ is that much harder than Accounting.

Benson for what it is worth kind of strikes me as one of those leaders who tends to not balance multiple priorities well. He was heavily focused on the Med Center and to his credit got what look like spectacular results. He also put a lot of focus into the rapid expansion of the Colorado Springs campus which if you haven't seen it is absolutely first class.

In the process of those two things along with some less than favorable years dealing with the legislature a lot of things in Boulder got put on cruise control and with Dr. Phil driving that isn't a good thing.

Now that the Med Center and the CS expansion are closing in on completion he has turned his attention back to the flagship campus. As long as he keeps it there I think we will be alright but if something else comes up to distract him and Phil takes over the wheel again we are fragile enough that we could collapse where we stand.

If you guys haven't guessed I'm not highly impressed with Phil DiStephano in any way.

Those who forget the past are destined to repeat it, so I understand the apprehension surrounding the institutional powers at CU going forward.

However, the type of money they are putting into the AD, specifically football, shouldn't be taken lightly.

I have friends in the B school now that are football players and they do struggle. A lot. Maybe things have changed since 2010, but don't act like Econ is that much harder than Accounting.

You missed my point entirely. Econ is in the Arts and Sciences department, that everybody at CU "got into", while the B School (at least when I was there) has higher gpa and test score standards. I'm not saying football players don't struggle in the B School, but if they had the grades and scores to get into it in the first place, they are typically fairly successful and driven academically.

I also never said Econ was harder than anything in the B School. I said the people in the Econ department couldn't have given two ****s whether someone was a football player or not.

What does that accomplish? I couldn't give a **** about a "mea culpa" admission by them. I actually think that most here would react to that by saying the admission is worthless, only actions to fix it matter. So really all I care about is seeing those actions. And I am seeing them. Words from politicians are meaningless to me.
Ask not, what your Athletic Department can do for you; ask what you can do for your Athletic Department!

It's called character. Respect has to be earned. Good genuine leaders show vulnerabilities, define key learnings, and take steps to show growth.

Whether or not you want a mea culpa matters not. There is a faction who can't trust Benson or DiStephano because their actions over time are counterfeit.

Our esteemed institution is worthy of leaders who engender trust.

Basically that same article has been written about the last 3 coaches - Hawkins was here to win a Championship and Crowder and MacCartney were trotted out periodically as supporting the coach. Embree was here to bring back the glory years and MacCartney was trotted out showing support.

I hope it all works but speeches do not make it happen.

:nod: agree.

It's called character. Respect has to be earned. Good genuine leaders show vulnerabilities, define key learnings, and take steps to show growth.

Whether or not you want a mea culpa matters not. There is a faction who can't trust Benson or DiStephano because their actions over time are counterfeit.

Our esteemed institution is worthy of leaders who engender trust.

You'll never trust them based on anything they say. You might enjoy the satisfaction of them humbling themselves, but it wouldn't make you trust them or believe in them.

P.S. The last thing we need is a bunch of negative stuff in the media based on them rehashing all the mistakes and neglect over the past decade+.

Honestly couldn't care less what Benson and DiSteph have to say. Its all politics with them. Just give the department what it needs to thrive and stay the hell out of the way. The Champions Center and IPF is a big step towards that direction, but the east side and state of disrepair of the single biggest on campus money maker is embarrassing. Folsom could, and I would argue should, be a crown jewel in the college football world. There is no other setting like it. They should not only treasure the stadium, but should exploit it. There is no excuse other than institutional negligence that it should be the way it is right now.

Coors needs help. The renovations they have performed have kept it looking alright, but it could also be world class. The practice facility they built over there is gorgeous, and the arena does not match.

After all that is finished the west side will need updating. It was built 12 years ago, by the time they get to it it will likely be 20-35 years old.

The rehabilitation of the athletic department as a whole is going to go well beyond brick and mortar though. They need to welcome, engage, and actively encourage a fanatical following. Open up the creek side practice fields for tailgating. Improve and encourage the use of the south campus and east campus lots. Open up the IPF for gameday activities and "premium tailgating". Handle the entrances more efficiently to both coors and Folsom. Embrace the students and encourage them to show up early and often. Provide incentives until the culture is embedded in the university. Encourage energy and rowdiness from them, don't try and subdue them or hide them or camouflage them. For example we will never have another "Blackout" game because of the alcohol connotations that come with it and they don't want to encourage the students to drink heavily. News Flash CU Admin: They drink heavily anyway. They Blackout anyway. They come to the game drunk anyway.

Tini this is the kind of stuff that the skeptics are waiting to see. The CC/IPF is 1 big step forward but so much needs to change to allow this program to thrive.

You'll never trust them based on anything they say. You might enjoy the satisfaction of them humbling themselves, but it wouldn't make you trust them or believe in them.

P.S. The last thing we need is a bunch of negative stuff in the media based on them rehashing all the mistakes and neglect over the past decade+.

I don't agree.

I have seen Benson's passion manifest itself in other areas. I have seen him speak with passion on any number of subjects.

Benson has earned sufficient credibility as a capable leader to have goodwill. One of his flaws is that he's not a fan of football. To hear him address why he donated a personal fortune into the CUAD in recent years and to have him work through the case study of where the CUAD has been and where he wants to see it go would be compelling.

It's not just an apology / mea culpa that I want. It's also the courtesy of hearing how he's learned and grown based on his experiences between 2005-2012. And it is important to hear what he has to say about what lessons can be learned that would keep such a lapse from happening again.

An overcoming adversity story is much more gripping than a he-said, she-said tell all sifting through the ashes tale.

As for DiStephano...his chips are all cashed in when it comes to credibility. The sooner he is replaced, the better.

Basically that same article has been written about the last 3 coaches - Hawkins was here to win a Championship and Crowder and MacCartney were trotted out periodically as supporting the coach. Embree was here to bring back the glory years and MacCartney was trotted out showing support.

I hope it all works but speeches do not make it happen.

mccartneyhawkinscrowder.jpg

I don't agree.

I have seen Benson's passion manifest itself in other areas. I have seen him speak with passion on any number of subjects.

Benson has earned sufficient credibility as a capable leader to have goodwill. One of his flaws is that he's not a fan of football. To hear him address why he donated a personal fortune into the CUAD in recent years and to have him work through the case study of where the CUAD has been and where he wants to see it go would be compelling.

It's not just an apology / mea culpa that I want. It's also the courtesy of hearing how he's learned and grown based on his experiences between 2005-2012. And it is important to hear what he has to say about what lessons can be learned that would keep such a lapse from happening again.

An overcoming adversity story is much more gripping than a he-said, she-said tell all sifting through the ashes tale.

As for DiStephano...his chips are all cashed in when it comes to credibility. The sooner he is replaced, the better.

It sounds like you're looking at this like a personal relationship where you need to hear an apology before you're able to move on.

I'm more pragmatic about it. I trust them only as long as the political winds blow in the direction we want. 10 years ago, they didn't. So we got what we got. After burning the football program to the ground, those winds shifted as folks saw the effect it had on revenue/ fundraising/ applications for the university. They're football advocates as long as it's expedient for them to be so... no matter what they may say.

Let them be blown by this wind for the rest of their time and we need to focus on lobbying for pro-athletics replacements when they retire. That's the big threat right now.

It sounds like you're looking at this like a personal relationship where you need to hear an apology before you're able to move on.

I'm more pragmatic about it. I trust them only as long as the political winds blow in the direction we want. 10 years ago, they didn't. So we got what we got. After burning the football program to the ground, those winds shifted as folks saw the effect it had on revenue/ fundraising/ applications for the university. They're football advocates as long as it's expedient for them to be so... no matter what they may say.

Let them be blown by this wind for the rest of their time and we need to focus on lobbying for pro-athletics replacements when they retire. That's the big threat right now.

Why it is important for the AD to encourage a passionate and dedicated fan base. That includes current students, alumni, alumni families, T-Shirt Fans, etc. The way that some members of this board have been treated in person by some of the admin is unacceptable and I truly hope that RG has a plan in place to fix it. The die-hards are really all that is left. There has been no culture of alumni participation fostered or encourage until recently. So many holes to fix.

Last edited:
Why it is important for the AD to encourage a passionate and dedicated fan base. That includes current students, alumni, alumni families, T-Shirt Fans, etc. The way that some members of this board have been treated in person by some of the admin is unacceptable and I truly hope that RG has a plan in place to fix it. The die-hards are really all that is left. There has been no culture of alumni participation fostered or encourage until recently. So many holes to fix.

They need to work with ARGUS and the BPD as well. I'm sick olf negative encounters with them.

Honestly couldn't care less what Benson and DiSteph have to say. Its all politics with them. Just give the department what it needs to thrive and stay the hell out of the way. The Champions Center and IPF is a big step towards that direction, but the east side and state of disrepair of the single biggest on campus money maker is embarrassing. Folsom could, and I would argue should, be a crown jewel in the college football world. There is no other setting like it. They should not only treasure the stadium, but should exploit it. There is no excuse other than institutional negligence that it should be the way it is right now.

Coors needs help. The renovations they have performed have kept it looking alright, but it could also be world class. The practice facility they built over there is gorgeous, and the arena does not match.

After all that is finished the west side will need updating. It was built 12 years ago, by the time they get to it it will likely be 20-35 years old.

The rehabilitation of the athletic department as a whole is going to go well beyond brick and mortar though. They need to welcome, engage, and actively encourage a fanatical following. Open up the creek side practice fields for tailgating. Improve and encourage the use of the south campus and east campus lots. Open up the IPF for gameday activities and "premium tailgating". Handle the entrances more efficiently to both coors and Folsom. Embrace the students and encourage them to show up early and often. Provide incentives until the culture is embedded in the university. Encourage energy and rowdiness from them, don't try and subdue them or hide them or camouflage them. For example we will never have another "Blackout" game because of the alcohol connotations that come with it and they don't want to encourage the students to drink heavily. News Flash CU Admin: They drink heavily anyway. They Blackout anyway. They come to the game drunk anyway.

Tini this is the kind of stuff that the skeptics are waiting to see. The CC/IPF is 1 big step forward but so much needs to change to allow this program to thrive.

THIS.

What we are seeing with the new facilities is merely the tip of the iceberg. It's the bare minimum necessary to keep us a relevant athletic department. You can say the upgrades are all for the football team, but the ski team and track/CC teams will benefit greatly as well. How long would it be before those programs began a long slide to irrelevancy without some significant investments made in them? We're just treading water, here. I'll believe there's a true commitment to excellence from the CU admin once I see the *next* project start. I've seen it too many times where one upgrade is completed and then ignored until it's a crisis again.

They need to work with ARGUS and the BPD as well. I'm sick olf negative encounters with them.

It really shouldn't be that hard.

ARGUS, smile and be pleasant during the games. I respect the fact you guys have a job to do, but you are glorified ushers. If there is a problem then get involved and get the police involved.
BPD, just make sure people aren't breaking laws or going to hurt themselves.

Change the game day mission statements to those and things would be just fine.

The personal relationship angle is not a fair nor accurate categorization of what I'm after.

A better description view is that great leaders are able to connect with those for whom they serve. It's not personal at all. Any business or civic leader who can define a problem, connect with an issue, set forth a vision, and inspire action will get better results than a bureaucrat who is handled by a PR handler.

One reason people adore Bill McCartney is that he is a gifted orator. He energizes a room. He makes you believe in what he's selling. McCartney will take you from Ashes to Glory. He'll walk you through the tough times and tell you about moments of doubt and where he found strength to do great things.

This aspect of public self awareness and motivation is not limited to McCartney. Many successful people like Zig Zigler or Rune Evensen, or pretty much every US president since forever has a knack for connecting with a constituency. Benson had failed to connect with many football fans.

If you were as pragmatic as you say you are, you'd recognize that this isn't personal.

The personal relationship angle is not a fair nor accurate categorization of what I'm after.

A better description view is that great leaders are able to connect with those for whom they serve. It's not personal at all. Any business or civic leader who can define a problem, connect with an issue, set forth a vision, and inspire action will get better results than a bureaucrat who is handled by a PR handler.

One reason people adore Bill McCartney is that he is a gifted orator. He energizes a room. He makes you believe in what he's selling. McCartney will take you from Ashes to Glory. He'll walk you through the tough times and tell you about moments of doubt and where he found strength to do great things.

This aspect of public self awareness and motivation is not limited to McCartney. Many successful people like Zig Zigler or Rune Evensen, or pretty much every US president since forever has a knack for connecting with a constituency. Benson had failed to connect with many football fans.

If you were as pragmatic as you say you are, you'd recognize that this isn't personal.

There are all sorts of effective leaders. Some never acknowledge ever having made a mistake and have complete blinders on as they focus on what they're trying to accomplish.

Don't make them be a certain type of person other than who they are. That's the pragmatism. You may wish they were different. You may wish that they'd have an epiphany and morph into new personalities. Not gonna happen. We know what they are. We need them to be productive within that and keep the wind blowing in the right direction.

If the requirement for you to trust and believe in them keeping this going is them morphing into different types of people, then the simple fact is that you will never trust them.

There are all sorts of effective leaders. Some never acknowledge ever having made a mistake and have complete blinders on as they focus on what they're trying to accomplish.

Don't make them be a certain type of person other than who they are. That's the pragmatism. You may wish they were different. You may wish that they'd have an epiphany and morph into new personalities. Not gonna happen. We know what they are. We need them to be productive within that and keep the wind blowing in the right direction.

If the requirement for you to trust and believe in them keeping this going is them morphing into different types of people, then the simple fact is that you will never trust them.

I recognize that Benson's time at CU at some point will come to a close. I want him to say what needs to be said so that football fans know that the next president of the University of Colorado won't make the same mistake he made.

This dialog starts with recognizing weaknesses and identifying key learnings. This isn't about personality. It's about recognizing and following best practices used by leaders of large organizations everywhere.

This should not be a tough concept to grasp for anyone like yourself who operates in the business world.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one small thing that Benson & DiStefano can do to help me turn the corner and go from a "hater" to a shill. It's called accountability.

I ask Benson & DiStefano to quit hiding behind the shadow of Bill McCartney on all things football related. I would like both leaders to show transparency in what their actions were from 2005-2011.

I want to hear them say, "we were stewards of the university and we dropped the ball. We had [x] role in the decision to prolong Hawkins/Bohn. We had [x] influence over the Embree hire. In hindsight, it's clear we didn't do things right.

Now we are in a position to make up for a past wrong. We know that the success of the football program is not in the hands of Bill McCartney. The buck stops not at Rick George, but with me. I as your [chancellor / president] will not rest well until the buffs travel to the rose bowl and bring home a P12 football championship trophy."

I am sick of having 'Tini or Digger or Tsarbomba or any other poster speaking for Benson and DiStephano. I am tired of Bill McCartney being the keeper of the faith for what CU football has been and what it can be again. I want Benson to be in George's office and at MacIntyre's recruiting luncheon whipping the CU faithful into a passionate frenzy.

Until that happens, I'll be suspicious that Benson and DiStephano are just into football for its impact on generating private funding.

I would like for the President, current and past, along with others to address their wrongs but they do not.

Ah so there it is. I always expected that. What did he do to you?

Back