What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre promises better football days ahead for CU

It just seemed to me like you hate him so much that he must have had done something to you personally that you found incredibly offensive.

I didn't mention Coach Mac at all in the post you quoted or the one before it. Are you sure you don't have me confused with Slider?

I recognize that Benson's time at CU at some point will come to a close. I want him to say what needs to be said so that football fans know that the next president of the University of Colorado won't make the same mistake he made.

This dialog starts with recognizing weaknesses and identifying key learnings. This isn't about personality. It's about recognizing and following best practices used by leaders of large organizations everywhere.

This should not be a tough concept to grasp for anyone like yourself who operates in the business world.

A change in their actions is all the acknowledgement I need that they recognize the failure of their prior approach.

Yep. I dislike MM personally:rolling_eyes:

Let's ignore the fact that off and on the field results have been mediocre at best thus far

A change in their actions is all the acknowledgement I need that they recognize the failure of their prior approach.

The issue is that there is a boom - bust cycle when it comes to CU football.
The change we see now comes from being embarrassed by historically bad football results.
There is a concern that the change you are trumpeting now is just the start of another decade long coast back into oblivion.

The issue is that there is a boom - bust cycle when it comes to CU football.
The change we see now comes from being embarrassed by historically bad football results.
There is a concern that the change you are trumpeting now is just the start of another decade long coast back into oblivion.

My biggest fear.

But I also think that if we don't get excited and engaged over this then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the winds will shift with our perceived apathy and we'll see the drift we're worried about.

I think the best way to ensure that this doesn't happen is to be enthusiastic and continually put the "This is great! What's Next?" pressure on. This is the front door to the university, Boulder and the state for many people in this country and around the world. That truth can never be lost.

My biggest fear.

But I also think that if we don't get excited and engaged over this then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the winds will shift with our perceived apathy and we'll see the drift we're worried about.

I think the best way to ensure that this doesn't happen is to be enthusiastic and continually put the "This is great! What's Next?" pressure on. This is the front door to the university, Boulder and the state for many people in this country and around the world. That truth can never be lost.

My turn to be the pragmatist.

I can tell you that hope is not a strategy.
I have learned that being gung-ho and saluting the party line from 2002-2006 did little to stop the self-imposed death penalty that put us in this mess.

I can tell you that having Benson (not Rick George) address key lessons from the last 10 years and hear what measures there are to break the boom-bust cycle going forward would be meaningful to more people than just me.

It chaps me when college football fans from Ft Collins to Ft Worth, from Alabama to Austin, from Washington to Waco continue to paint CU as irrelevant in today's football world. The IPF and center for excellence and hire of Rick George and Mike MacIntyre has not come close to compensating for the fact that CU went winless in the P12 last season and brought only three conference wins since leaving the Big 12.

Every recruiting post on Allbuffs and every bit of positive energy displayed by fans (who now number below 40K per game) has failed to reverse the opinion that football is not taken seriously enough in Boulder.

It's not too much to ask for leaders to be out in front of the fans. Fans like you and me can only go where Benson and Rick George and the Regents are willing to take us.

Last edited by a moderator:
My turn to be the pragmatist.

I can tell you that hope is not a strategy.
I have learned that being gung-ho and saluting the party line from 2002-2006 did little to stop the self-imposed death penalty that put us in this mess.

I can tell you that having Benson (not Rick George) address key lessons from the last 10 years and measures to break the boom-bust cycle that he would like to leave as a legacy would be meaningful to more people than just me.

It chaps me when college football fans from Ft Collins to Ft Worth, from Alabama to Austin, from Washington to Waco continue to paint CU as irrelevant in today's football world. The IPF and center for excellence and hire of Rick George and Mike MacIntyre has not come close to compensating for the fact that CU went winless in the P12 last season and brought only three conference wins since leaving the Big 12.

Every recruiting post on Allbuffs and every bit of positive energy displayed by fans (who now number below 40K per game) has failed to reverse the opinion that football is not taken seriously enough in Boulder.

It's not too much to ask for leaders to be out in front of the fans. Fans like you and me gan only go where Benson and Rick George and the Regents are willing to take us.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing. Or if we are, we're not far off.

I believe we need to be clear in letting them know that "it's not enough" and "the job's never over". I believe we need to pressure things in any way we can to make sure that CU has a football excellence agenda from the administrative leadership.

I also believe that we should also give positive reinforcement when they take the actions we want. I'm not advocating that we support things to our utmost no matter what they do. That's a mistake many of us die-hards have made. I'm advocating that we do things like parse out our donations. An extra bit that's within your budget with an attached message of "sent this in support of unveiling new uniforms" or when you buy a brick or to say "loved the Leavitt and Tumpkin hires"... I think that goes a long way. I think it also goes a long way when you send the other message along the lines of "I reduced my normal donation by 50% and am holding that and more until I hear you're implementing a plan to fix X, Y, Z".

For the most part, we can only influence things through money (including our attendance) and Regent votes. Beyond that, I think we should be fans and have fun without being so serious all the time. It's supposed to be fun. Hoping and dreaming a bit while imagining best-case scenarios for every player, game and season -- getting excited for the dream -- isn't a bad thing at all no matter what bumbling idots may be in charge.

RG saying they are going to be competing for championships isn't being out in front?

Benson donating large amounts of money to the facilities isn't being out in front of the fans?

A school president isn't going to come out and make declarative statements regarding the AD, that's not their role, it's the AD's role.

Actions and money speaks, words walk. We have seen numerous actions to indicate the AD and administration is full in and clear with their goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I dislike MM personally:rolling_eyes:

Let's ignore the fact that off and on the field results have been mediocre at best thus far

I'm well aware of that. It just seemed like your distaste for him went beyond that and it seemed personal.

RG saying they are going to be competing for championships isn't being out in front?

Benson donating large amounts of money to the facilities isn't being out in front of the fans?

A school president isn't going to come out and make declarative statements regarding the AD, that's not their role, it's the AD's role.

Actions and money speaks, words walk. We have seen numerous actions to indicate the AD and administration is full in and clear with their goal.

For now. But is the boom-bust cycle broken?

For now. But is the boom-bust cycle broken?

He can't know that.

There's nothing to indicate that Benson is getting cold feet, though.

So why stare out the window on a sunny day worrying about when the rain might come? Doesn't seem like much fun.

He can't know that.

There's nothing to indicate that Benson is getting cold feet, though.

So why stare out the window on a sunny day worrying about when the rain might come? Doesn't seem like much fun.

Is that what the leadership team at your business calls root cause analysis and risk management?

People don't plan to fail. They fail to plan.

Asking the president to speak about the lessons learned from 2005-2012, the basis for his $5M donation, and his perspective on how to keep CU from backsliding into old behaviors that led to this current mess is not the same thing as your cute weather quip.

Why would he donate $10MM and hire a big time AD if he was getting cold feet?

I thought it was $5M.

Cold feet isn't an issue. I'm talking about the putting controls in place that keep future CU leaders from pissing away the work of the last two years.

Is that what the leadership team at your business calls root cause analysis and risk management?

People don't plan to fail. They fail to plan.

Asking the president to speak about the lessons learned from 2005-2012, the basis for his $5M donation, and his perspective on how to keep CU from backsliding into old behaviors that led to this current mess is not the same thing as your cute weather quip.

You make fine points, but overall I don't know how you remain a fan with that outlook. I am being genuine in saying that, not snarky. I get hating when CU is a bottom feeder, but then when facilities are being built and things are looking up, to already be awaiting the next valley must be tough.

Personally, it pains me watching my Alma Mater get the snot kicked out of them every Saturday and I will never accept that as the status quo. But I am really loving the commitment we are seeing right now from the school and plan on sitting back and enjoying the ride back to relevance.

I thought it was $5M.

Cold feet isn't an issue. I'm talking about the putting controls in place that keep future CU leaders from pissing away the work of the last two years.

Well the regents showed a ton of faith by allowing them to break ground on the facilities as early as they did...

And results answer.

No question that we are seeing a lot of positive steps being taken right now, nobody will argue that.

The question is will they sustain it to the point where the results are doing the answering. We have had a decade of promises and plans with very few wins to show for it. Now we have some tangible physical upgrades but we still won 2 games last year and went winless in conference.

The clear statement that will answer the questions here are is when we are going to our 3rd or 4th straight bowl game and moving up the ranks of bowl quality.

You make fine points, but overall I don't know how you remain a fan with that outlook. I am being genuine in saying that, not snarky. I get hating when CU is a bottom feeder, but then when facilities are being built and things are looking up, to already be awaiting the next valley must be tough.

Personally, it pains me watching my Alma Mater get the snot kicked out of them every Saturday and I will never accept that as the status quo. But I am really loving the commitment we are seeing right now from the school and plan on sitting back and enjoying the ride back to relevance.

You wonder how I can remain a fan with that outlook. At the very core of my fandom is a belief that the students on campus today are getting screwed by what is essentially a people problem. Moreover, I believe it's my responsibility as a fan to do what I can do to provide a campus experience to students today that is as amazing as my time on campus was between 1987 and 1991. A big part of what makes Boulder special is the pageantry of Football Saturday when the Buffs are ranked, kicking ass, and bound for a good bowl game.

I learned many lessons from being a Buff fan over the years. Colorado's football program suffers from a people problem. People are what got CU to a national championship game in 1990. People are responsible for Kansas running off 35 unanswered points to beat the buffs in 2010. People are responsible for CU getting it's butt kicked against Fresno State after falling 35 points behind in the first quarter. People botched the the Embree hiring and firing process. People are what is getting the new facilities built. People can do great things when they put their mind to it. People can screw things up with neglect or incompetence or lack of passion.

Good is the enemy of great. The truth is that this facilities build is 10 years too late. Better late than never, right?

Watching CU slide past mediocrity into oblivion seems almost criminal to me. CU dug itself into this hole. During the descent into the abyss, I have learned that many fans mistake dialog and criticism with a person's outlook. Some people believe that a critique of the program that includes hard truths is often mistaken for an attack on the school itself. Moreover, some people believe that maintaing a positive attitude and glossing over any problems is the appropriate way to demonstrate a love for CU. I have watched for years posters attempt to bully curmudgeons like JimmyBuff or Lt. Col. Frank Slade or more recently SliderNCider or Duff for daring to say negative things about MacIntyre or the recruiting process. I have watched the loyal peanut gallery polish the knob of Boulder native Mike Bohn just like 'Tini does with Rick George today. Over the years, a lot of enthusiastic fans have come and gone. Some passionate defenders of CU's honor like LadyBlaise or UnleashHell have simply moved on to other things. Yet here I am. Still buying season tickets. My outlook today is that CU doesn't need an echo chamber of bobbing heads that uniformly praise every jersey and press release out of Dal Ward. If CU's fans had more piss and vinegar during the Barnett years, and if fans were more forceful in demanding that CU not bow down to weak presidents and spineless unskilled athletic directors, we wouldn't find ourselves grasping for construction videos today to feel good about ourselves.

The way I see it, fans have an obligation to offer praise when praise is due, and to speak truth to power when something is rotten. It's rotten that CU couldn't win a damn conference game last season. It's rotten that our 2016 recruiting has gotten out of the gates so far behind where any of us want it to be. It's rotten that you are calling me out for my outlook. It will be great when CU qualifies for a bowl game. It will be great when CU is ranked again. It will be great when CU wins the Rose Bowl. Playing cumbaya and getting all moist over a few new threads isn't going to get this team where we all want it to go. What matters is that CU's people are focused on providing the BEST possible chance for CU to compete with the big boys. If anyone thinks that Bruce Benson and Phil DiStefano are better than any other people on the planet to lead CU back to glory based on their track record, then you are probably not paying attention to Stanford, Oregon, Baylor, Oklahoma, Ohio State, TCU, the Arizona schools, and any number of SEC and ACC institutions where their administration never fell asleep at the wheel. I just can't get excited about playing catch up. It's that simple.

My outlook is that I hope for the best and recognize that insanity is doing the same old things over and over again. You would be flat out wrong to believe I am awaiting the next valley instead of celebrating construction. I don't await a nor expect problems in the road ahead. My comments are intended to point out behaviors that would help CU avoid becoming like Iowa State or Indiana as a perennial bottom feeder in the conference. It's really not too much to hold our leadership accountable for explaining why this time CU is not just in another boom-bust cycle. This request is for the kids.

Well the regents showed a ton of faith by allowing them to break ground on the facilities as early as they did...
It's great the Regents FINALY found enough political incentive to show faith by keeping CU from embarrassing itself any further. Go Regents! Why wasn't that faith shown sooner? Will that faith continue over the next 10 years, or will it waiver based on the political winds that blow through the Colorado electorate?

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty sure benson donated 500,000. 100,000 every year for five years. the 10 mil was from the CU foundation.

We have Benson fan boys now?

Apparently.

There's that old adage in sports that fans have very short memories. We turn fast in either direction.

Personally, I've always thought Benson was a good politician who was very effective at fundraising and approvals for any project on which he focused. Problem always was that he's not much of a sports fan and had his mind on other university initiatives while assuming that Phil and Mike would be able to take care of things on the athletics front. I'm bitter about that, but also believe in his ability so when I see him focused on the AD I trust that big things will happen.

They need to work with ARGUS and the BPD as well. I'm sick olf negative encounters with them.

I know you've had your issues with Argus, but last season they were a lot more friendly and inviting. They actually thanked people for coming after the games and seem to try and blend in more. That was at least my experience with them last season. Previous seasons, yes they were power tripping assholes.

Back