What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre's path toward future employment at CU

Something else that's not being given enough consideration: The 4 teams we have beaten this year are a combined 9-28. We may be a better team than the last few seasons, but let's keep some perspective - we are not good.
Yes, although we were a play away from beating UCLA, we were also two plays from losing to CSU and OSU, resulting in perhaps a 2-11 record. Not to discredit, we won 4 games and almost a fifth. Just saying the difference between last year and this year is minimal IMO, not sure comparing records is meaningful. Although beating OSU and CSU seems significant.....

Is mac going to get better at managing field position, the clock, or down and distance? Is mac going to get better at hiring staff and holding them accountable? Is mac's problem with recruiting that the guys he wants are tuning him out due to facilities or is the problem that several of our assistants are lazy recruiters? Have our players improved as far as technique and execution? Do our players play all out until the whistle blows or do they start jogging half way through a play (im looking at you, crawley, and you, witherspoon)? If not, is that likely to change with the same staff in place?

If you can answer yes to most of these questions, then by all means, keep mac for another year.

Is mac going to get better at managing field position, the clock, or down and distance? Is mac going to get better at hiring staff and holding them accountable? Is mac's problem with recruiting that the guys he wants are tuning him out due to facilities or is the problem that several of our assistants are lazy recruiters? Have our players improved as far as technique and execution? Do our players play all out until the whistle blows or do they start jogging half way through a play (im looking at you, crawley, and you, witherspoon)? If not, is that likely to change with the same staff in place?

If you can answer yes to most of these questions, then by all means, keep mac for another year.
I don't think the staff are lazy recruiters, just ineffective. Mike is gone without a win, unless RG hits a wall in finding a replacement.

It does not take a decade to turn around a football team.

Maybe if we actually started rebuilding ten years ago, we would be in better shape now. As it stands, we spent seven years jerking off before we decided to actually pay some attention to the football program.

And I'll say it again (because it seems like nobody is actually paying attention, they're just ranting).- It's not like the rest of the conference has been standing still during our rebuild. They all got better, too. If we were in any other conference except for the SEC, we'd probably be bowling this year.

We sucked 10 years ago and we suck today. Our offensive line sucks. Our defensive line sucks. Our QB is average at best. I'm having trouble seeing where we have improved.

We sucked 10 years ago and we suck today. Our offensive line sucks. Our defensive line sucks. Our QB is average at best. I'm having trouble seeing where we have improved.

How about you compare us to where we were four years ago and then try telling me we haven't improved.

And I'll say it again (because it seems like nobody is actually paying attention, they're just ranting).- It's not like the rest of the conference has been standing still during our rebuild. They all got better, too. If we were in any other conference except for the SEC, we'd probably be bowling this year.

Even though the B1G & Big XII both had 3 teams all ranked in the first playoff poll top 10 and the P12 had 0? The P12 is good, but let's not pretend it's as dominant of a conference as it was last year. Only 3 teams in the south have a record over .500.

Even though the B1G & Big XII both had 3 teams all ranked in the first playoff poll top 10 and the P12 had 0? The P12 is good, but let's not pretend it's as dominant of a conference as it was last year. Only 3 teams in the south have a record over .500.
The bottom of those conferences is a lot worse than us. JMHO. I'm not talking about the top of the conferences, which are probably all about the same.

The bottom of those conferences is a lot worse than us. JMHO. I'm not talking about the top of the conferences, which are probably all about the same.
We're in the Pac 12 next year too, and probably the year after also so we might as well try to compete with these teams one of these years.

We're in the Pac 12 next year too, and probably the year after also so we might as well try to compete with these teams one of these years.

Seeing as we are in the Pac 12, don't you think it would be a good idea to acknowledge the level of competition?

No. Of course not... Fire the coach! We operate in a vacuum so it's all his fault!

Seeing as we are in the Pac 12, don't you think it would be a good idea to acknowledge the level of competition?

No. Of course not... Fire the coach! We operate in a vacuum so it's all his fault!
We've been in the Pac 12 since Mac was hired, this is no surprise. No one is going to feel sorry for Mac because the conference is tough - certainly not me. Adapt, win, recruit, or GTFO.

Mac has absolutely no excuses...he knew exactly what he was getting into. I do think if this team was in the ACC we'd be bowling this year...which means absolutely nothing I know.

He's not going anywhere. Next year will be his 4th and will have a favorable schedule (relatively). If he doesn't go bowling next year, he's gone IMO.
It can't happen like this. He is gone after end of this year or he get a couple year extension. Can't fire after next year with the size of the recruiting class we will have coming in. If he is fired after next year we have a large lame duck class and we are set backwards for another 5 years. It will be interesting to see what happens...

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. 2011 WSU (the year before Leach took over) was a very bad football team, but 2012 CU (the year before MM took over) was as bad as any FBS/Div 1 P5 team has ever been. Consider:

• 2011 WSU won 2 conference games. 2012 CU won 0.
  • 2011 WSU won 4 games, including 4 against FBS teams. 2012 CU had 1 win, and lost to an FCS team AT HOME
  • 2011 WSU lost one game by 30 points: #7 Stanford beat them 14-44. 2012 CU lost 5 games by 30 points or more, including to G5 Fresno State (69-14). In addition, they also lost to UCLA by 28. 4 of the losses were by more than 40 points, and 2 were by more than 50.
  • 2011 WSU's average margin of defeat in conference games was 16.3 points. 2012 CU's avg margin of defeat in conference games was 34.6 points. In other words, 2011 WSU didn't lose a single conference game by as many points as CU's AVERAGE conference deficit
2012 CU is and will always be one of the absolute worst P5 teams ever to see the field.

In my opinion, implementing a gimmicky system like Leach's has a higher floor but a lower ceiling. Consider that while Leach won an average of 8.4 games in 10 seasons in Lubbock, he never won fewer than 7 but also only broke double digit wins once.
Check your facts. CU won a conference game in 2012. Macintyre is the only one in 99 years to not win in conference.

I find the people that post the "MacIntyre is not going anywhere" as some absolute have to incredible naïve. I do not know what MacIntyre's fate is going to be at the end of the season but I do know that it is not sure thing either way. The powers that be will sit down and evaluate his future with the program at the end of the season. You cannot have a record like he has and not be concerned about your job. His being here next year is not a given.

I find the people that post the "MacIntyre is not going anywhere" as some absolute have to incredible naïve. I do not know what MacIntyre's fate is going to be at the end of the season but I do know that it is not sure thing either way. The powers that be will sit down and evaluate his future with the program at the end of the season. You cannot have a record like he has and not be concerned about your job. His being here next year is not a given.
Yep. I wouldn't bet $100 either way.

Sorry, missed out on the Leach/WSU comments this AM. Can't really compare Coach MM with Leach. Leach got very lucky that Luke Falk walked through his door. Without Luke at QB, things would be pretty bleak for WSU. Luke has a goal of playing in the NFL and chose a team to walk on with poor QB potential and a pro style offense. He contacted WSU very late in the recruiting cycle. Luke was unrecruited because he transferred from Logan High in Utah to a big name California program and rode pine for his junior year. No Jr. tape. None. DJ Nielsen, BYU QB Riley Nielsen's younger brother, was a senior that year at Logan and would have prevented Luke, a junior, from playing at Logan as well. Logan went undefeated and took state that year and DJ Nielsen is now a redshirt frosh QB at USU. Luke transferred back to Logan his senior year. Whittingham, given Utah's QB problems, was stupid not to offer Luke as a preferred walk on given he lived in his recruiting back yard. He had a great senior year at Logan with a phenomenal head coach but limited supporting offensive talent. I love Luke. He's a great kid. Tough, smart and personable. Hope he reaches his dream. Sad he's in the PAC 12 as competition though. As this site often says, players play not coaches and Leach got very lucky with this one.

Last edited:
I am torn on how to handle MacIntyre if I am Rick George Bitch.

rgB!.jpg

I point to McCartney regressing in Year 3 and showing very little signs of improvement. MacIntyre hasn't regressed.

But MacIntyre's team has stayed stagnant and after talk of a bowl and seeing signs I was hoping he could meet those goals. Those goals haven't and won't happen barring a miracle.

It takes a couple things to fire MacIntyre IMO. Buffs get beat as bad as they did Saturday. And MacIntyre sees nothing wrong with his assistants. We have an OL coaching TEs and RBs, an OL coach that has struggled and an OC that has struggled. We have a DL that has not improved much. And we have a ST coach that has got beat up.

I would get a firey RB coach that can coach ST. I move Adams to OL and TEs for blocking and allow Walter to work with them to help Adams on REC. Get a QB coach that can also be an OC.

Jeffcoat has not wowed me with pass rushing.

Not sure what or if anything will be done but some tough decisions need to be made by MacIntyre and maybe even George.

Hoping MacIntyre gets another year but because he had a good ending to the season.

Sorry, missed out on the Leach/WSU comments this AM. Can't really compare Coach MM with Leach. Leach got very lucky that Luke Falk walked through his door. Without Luke at QB, things would be pretty bleak for WSU. Luke has a goal of playing in the NFL and chose a team to walk on with poor QB potential and a pro style offense. He contacted WSU very late in the recruiting cycle. Luke was unrecruited because he transferred from Logan High in Utah to a big name California program and rode pine for his junior year. No Jr. tape. None. DJ Nielsen, BYU QB Riley Nielsen's younger brother, was a senior that year at Logan and would have prevented Luke, a junior, from playing at Logan as well. Logan went undefeated and took state that year and DJ Nielsen is now a redshirt frosh QB at USU. Luke transferred back to Logan his senior year. Whittingham, given Utah's QB problems, was stupid not to offer Luke as a preferred walk on given he lived in his recruiting back yard. He had a great senior year at Logan with a phenomenal head coach but limited supporting offensive talent. I love Luke. He's a great kid. Tough, smart and personable. Hope he reaches his dream. Sad he's in the PAC 12 as competition though. As this site often says, players play not coaches and Leach got very lucky with this one.
And Saban is lucky that all those 4 * recruits sign with him. WSU is playing good football right now. I do not like leach as a coach but he has a record of success as a coach. It may very well be that MacIntyre got very lucky with David Fales.

MacIntyre should not be compared to McCartney or to Embree. He should be evaluated against expectations for a PAC 12 coach. How he builds his staff, recruiting,coaching, etc.

How about you compare us to where we were four years ago and then try telling me we haven't improved.
What makes you think that? We lost to Hawaii, a bottom of the Mountain West Team. How can you say that we are a lot better than the bottom of ANY conference

Yes, although we were a play away from beating UCLA, we were also two plays from losing to CSU and OSU, resulting in perhaps a 2-11 record. Not to discredit, we won 4 games and almost a fifth. Just saying the difference between last year and this year is minimal IMO, not sure comparing records is meaningful. Although beating OSU and CSU seems significant.....
This is why the only way to gauge progress is through wins & losses. Nobody outside of Boulder cares how many games we "almost" won, or "almost" lost.

Well according to the thread title, he will take his millions and ride off into semi retirement. That is what CU has done for the past coaches. He can then dabble a little as a position coach or just go become an analyst.

Wazzu looks solid. Don't know how we pull that out on the road.
Its Wazzu. The phrase "coug it" exists for a reason.

Leach has only beaten Colorado once.

@ TTU
2000: n/a
2001: n/a
2002: L 37-13
2003: W 26-21
2004: n/a
2005: n/a
2006: L 30-6
2007: L 31-26
2008: n/a
2009: n/a

@ WSU
2012: L 35-34
2013: n/a
2014: n/a
2015: TBD

Its Wazzu. The phrase "coug it" exists for a reason.

Leach has only beaten Colorado once.

@ TTU
2000: n/a
2001: n/a
2002: L 37-13
2003: W 26-21
2004: n/a
2005: n/a
2006: L 30-6
2007: L 31-26
2008: n/a
2009: n/a

@ WSU
2012: L 35-34
2013: n/a
2014: n/a
2015: TBD
Leach has the exclusive distinction of losing to both Dan Hawkins and Jon Embree. That being said, WSU is bowl eligible already so I can't really cast stones from my glass house.

I'm just surprised considering the situation he inherited, and how bad we were losing every week that almost everyone doesn't think he should at least get to show what he can do when the guys he recruited are seniors (next year). We have made progress. Anyone who can't admit that isn't being honest. We have gone from having no depth and losing by 30-50 every week to having depth and having a chance to win in the last 10 minutes of most games.

I'm frustrated as hell with some things. Play calling, play design, not finishing games, dumb mistakes, etc. But I think it's only fair to give him until next year. Then if we go 5-7 and only win 1-2 conference games we can confidently say he put us in a better position than we were in when he got here but unfortunately he isn't the guy to get us over the hump. I also want to see what he can do with Montez if he is as good as people behind closed doors are saying he is.

Back