What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mack Brown reportedly stepping down

In this case, it would be because his employment contract would include that he had certain obligation to basically be the star of the network (having a show, doing commercials, making a certain number of appearances, etc.).

But I don't think they can give him an ownership interest in the public property.

Certainly he can be compensated for his time - but that's entirely different from giving him ownership interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I don't think they can give him an ownership interest in the public property.

Certainly he can be compensated for his time - but that's entirely different from giving him ownership interests.

They sold a good chunk of the property to ESPN, though. It can hardly be considered a wholly public venture.

So ESPN is ok with a 3rd party joining the joint venture?

I would think so or they wouldn't be able to get the deal done. ESPN's talked about little else but UT & Saban the past couple days. Must be good for business. And, frankly, LHN is failing. Right now, it's 1% of zero. If Saban can win at UT like he's done at LSU and Bama - and in the process make LHN profitable - ESPN will think it was the best 1% ever given up (especially if it came from the UT side).

People buy property from the government all the time. It's public property before the government sells it, it's not afterwords. There's no reason why UT can't sell an ownership interest in LHN in return for services performed; it's not really any different than transferring the ownership interest in a large pile of cash (aka "public property") in return for services performed. I'm not quite sure what the conceptual problem is here?

Yes. But I don't know how much that really had to do with anything. They were still getting players. Oklahoma and Nebraska were juggernauts. UCLA and Washington were powerhouses.

I think the biggest thing that helped CU was that we recruited like Miami did by going into the neighborhoods and high schools that the blueblood programs thought were beneath them. CU football was built in the projects as much as anything.

There's still some of that opportunity today. There's also the opportunity to cast a wider net and find the guys like Gillam who are outside the primary recruiting grounds and don't market themselves.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that even if UT and USC are the top 2 teams in the country, they can only take 50 guys a year. In the scope of Texas and California recruiting (plus the national guys they pick up), there's a lot of cream left on top even after they skim theirs.

The truth is Mac was a helluva recruiter and talent evaluator. The rest is noise.

Apparently Saban is in debt to the tune of $25 million on a failed apartment complex in Houston and Rumor is that some Texas boosters have offered to take the debt off his hands in exchange for signing with Texas.

Apparently Saban is in debt to the tune of $25 million on a failed apartment complex in Houston and Rumor is that some Texas boosters have offered to take the debt off his hands in exchange for signing with Texas.

I know the apartments. They're on the way up to my parents place.

Saban apartments.jpg

Attachments

• Saban apartments.jpg
    Saban apartments.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 102
All of these schools are on relative equal footing, all things considered: USC, Florida, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia, A&M, Auburn, LSU, Tenn, Florida State, Miami, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Penn State, Oregon.

Not one of those schools is top-5 every year.

With Oregon and Nebraska you could successfully argue the recruiting disadvantage, but Texas does not have Phil Knight and Texas does not have the 100% loyalty of the entire state that Nebraska does. Neb has one school and zero pro teams and loads of tradition.

I disagree. I don't think a whole lot of the schools on that list compare to Texas from a holistic perspective. The link that MTN posted showed that, by using NFL talent production as a metric, the only states that can be considered as the recruiting "hotbeds" are California, Texas, Florida, and maybe Ohio. The only schools listed that are located IN the hotbed are Florida, OSU, A&M, Florida State, and Miami.

Using attendance as a show of local support, the only schools that are even within 10K of Texas in average attendance are Michigan, OSU, Alabama, Penn State, Georgia, and LSU.

Some of those are limited by stadium capacity, which undermines your assertion that "lots of schools have similar or better stadiums." According to Wikipedia, the jumbotron at Texas is the largest high def board in college football.

In terms of revenue, Texas is unmatched. There is no one even within 10% of them.

By every measure, Texas is "top 5" in everything but on the field performance over the past decade. Texas is one of the very few schools that should expect​ to be in the top 5 every year.

And now, I need to go take a very long shower after defending the wHorns.

If he is smart he will go to Texas. The Sec has made themselves too competitive, lucky for them the system is moving to a playoff format. But what else can he accomplish at Bama? It's only downhill now. Plus he will get paid a boatload of cash, be in perhaps the most fertile recruiting ground, and have a much easier conference to deal with. His offensive style would demolish all those spread prevent defenses in the Big12. A dominant team in the Big12 is almost always guaranteed a spot in the playoff system. And lastly, perhaps the best reason to go... no state income tax.

Last edited:
If he is smart he will go to Texas. The Sec has made themselves too competitive, lucky for them the system is moving to a playoff format. But what else can he accomplish at Bama? It's only downhill now. Plus he will get paid a boatload of cash, be in perhaps the most fertile recruiting ground, and have a much easier conference to deal with. His offensive style would demolish all those spread prevent defenses in the Big12. A dominant team in the Big12 is almost always guaranteed a spot in the playoff system. And lastly, perhaps the best reason to go... no state income tax.

There is only one reason why he would got to Texas.

To get the **** out of Alabama.

Back