What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

maiava to fullback in spring ball

A thought just occurred to me, after reading all these posts. I wonder if the staff thinks Maiava has peaked at OG, and are looking for ways to keep him on the field while allowing other players to move up on the O-line. Put another way, I wonder if they feel like the guys behind Kai have more upside potential and want to get them reps as early as possible. At the same time, they realize Kai has some great blocking skills and could be utilized effectively at FB.

Thoughts?

I hope Maiava is quick enough to not get in the way of Darrell Scott and his 4.31 speed. But, imo it's impossible to peak as a true freshman, the only way he can go is up.

I read in the daily camera that they are thinking of Kai as a combo TE/FB kind of deal. It makes a little more sense that way, if they are moving Nate Solder to OT. I'm okay with Cantrell and Behrens at FB, but between Geer and the incoming recruits we are even thinner at TE. And I don't think Kai Maiava can play pure fullback on an every down basis. But who knows?

As for Hawkins, I think he was mobile enough, and he threw on the run pretty well. If the receivers catch the deep ball consistently the safeties will have to move off the line, opening up the run game, which will open up the play action, and when you throw play action the qb usually stays upright. Passing on 2nd and 2 instead of 3rd and 15 will make Cody Hawkins seem alot more mobile.

If he is too short for an OG then he is really too short for TE.

From what I have heard, they think he is maxed out on weight for his frame. Any more weight will slow him down greatly. And what he had was not enought for some of the big guys he was facing throughout the year. The guys behind him have much bigger frames and can carry more weight without losing game speed.

I think they like his speed so much, and liked him getting downfield and blocking so much, that they felt he would be a dominant FB. I am interested to see what he can do; think about his attitude and grit at about 250-260. Should get faster and the mean is already at full level. I think it could wrok.

I think they like his speed so much, and liked him getting downfield and blocking so much, that they felt he would be a dominant FB. I am interested to see what he can do; think about his attitude and grit at about 250-260. Should get faster and the mean is already at full level. I think it could wrok.

And also that he also likes to pancake defenders, they probably figure he'll be even more powerful once he gets some steam starting a few yards behind the line.

The main reason I like the move is because it tells me that we're wanting to be more of a power running team. A ball-control offense the moves the ball consistently on the ground can really deflate an opposing defense and the crowd when we're on the road.

The main reason I like the move is because it tells me that we're wanting to be more of a power running team. A ball-control offense the moves the ball consistently on the ground can really deflate an opposing defense and the crowd when we're on the road.

I also like the move. One thing about great coaches is that they are mold-breakers. Remember when Shannon Sharp came in and was a strange hybrid sorta-tight end sort-wide receiver? Or "The Bus" played as a 260 pound tailback? There are tons of examples...

Think of the football players that have really amazed you. Some of them are pure, prototype position players that just do it better then others can in conventional, proven schemes. Then there are those that get used in a unique way based a certain combination of skills, attitude and physical attributes that don't quite fit the conventional mold.

I watched Kai from about 15 feet away last summer during camp (whoever keeps calling him Kia - dude that is a car). He was the only offensive lineman in one on one drills the night I watched who never got beat. It was his angle, his leverage, his quickness, and his completely, no holds barred, never say die, bring it on, lets do this, want to rumble?, I am going to take that defender out, I am the destroyer... ok, its his nasty attitude that makes him different, special, unique, a freak.

Who knows if this translates to a better offense and running game.. but I was immediately intrigued by this news and am looking forward to seeing if it works.

All I can say is that this better ensure that we don't have any (or at least MUCH less) 1-back sets anymore. I hope he does not get fogotten as do many a FB..

This is why I thought we would see him at center sooner or later 6-0 300 lbs is a nice size for a center.
After last years debacle at center, I am definitely interested in this. I wonder if he is cut out for the mental aspect of that position?

I'm not sure how this is gonna turn out. Guess only time will tell. I'm looking forward to posts/reports from folks who can attend some of the spring practices and the game.

The article (home page) that talks about Cobra Kai's move to Deathback also mentions that Faatagi should be eligible. Looks like he'll be participating in spring ball.

For those who don't wish to waste their allotted clicks, heres the link.

DEATHBACK!

i love it!

so it is spoken, so it shall be:

kai = DEATHBACK!

:smile2:

DEATHBACK!

i love it!

so it is spoken, so it shall be:

kai = DEATHBACK!

:smile2:

Kai in Hawaiian means of the sea or "Ocean". It's a word that is often used with other words to describe water. Kai kohola = lagoon, Makai = the ocean side, kai holo = current (moving water), etc.

Kai is actually just his nick name, his whole first name is Kealakai which I believe loosely translates to "pathway to the sea". It seems very appropriate that we would have a lead blocker who's name holds the meaning "pathway". I definitely see him making a pathway to the endzone if he plays FB. We need to be careful though because "Keala" by itself is usually a girls name.

DEATHBACK works too, just thought people might be interested in meaning behind his hawaiian name. It's all good! :thumbsup:

i also had the opportunity to watch kai one day last summer when he got in about 2 fights with defensive players and the DL coach was screaming at his DL to "take care of this goddam freshman!" I was in awe as Kai walked past all the Defensive line and called them all a bunch of pussies!!!!! i couldn't believe that a freshman had that much balls to stand up not only a D lineman but to the WHOLE DEFENSIVE LINE!!!!! I am going to miss him on the line.

i also had the opportunity to watch kai one day last summer when he got in about 2 fights with defensive players and the DL coach was screaming at his DL to "take care of this goddam freshman!" I was in awe as Kai walked past all the Defensive line and called them all a bunch of pussies!!!!! i couldn't believe that a freshman had that much balls to stand up not only a D lineman but to the WHOLE DEFENSIVE LINE!!!!! I am going to miss him on the line.
He said that stuff to Hypolite and Nicolas? His FIRST FEW WEEKS ON CAMPUS?! Geez ... the kid is a monster.

If Hawk says he can play fullback, I'm fine with it. After all, we're loaded with talented young guards.

It's not a move i would have made, but it is very intriguing. I do trust that Hawk knows what he's doing though. I really hope it works.

Maybe would could give him a try at linebacker since it looks like our depth there is going to take a hit.

Um, our depth there is as deep as I can remember. Certainly much much better than last year. If someone moved back it would be Pericak, not Kai.

Just read where Kai said he was mad about the move. He then said he spoke with his family and is cool with it because "now I get a running start at people":lol:. He is at 280lbs now trying to lose 10 more lbs.

Last edited:
I think he is gonna be a freak fullback, our offense is gonna be sick! Scott, Polk, Summler running behind Kai and this more experienced line, Hawkins or Ballenger throwing to J-Fly, Celestine and Simas!:wow:

I think he is gonna be a freak fullback, our offense is gonna be sick! Scott, Polk, Summler running behind Kai and this more experienced line, Hawkins or Ballenger throwing to J-Fly, Celestine and Simas!:wow:

The lack of experince on the OL scares the crap out of me. The talent is certainly there, but this spring and fall camp will be huge for there to be some cohesion among the OLmen. Miller, Head and Sanders all have starting experience, but the rest will not have even played a down (Keenan Stevens excluded, I don't think we'll be seeing much of him next season) I love that we finally have depth on the OL, enough apparently to move a Freshmen AA to FB.

The lack of experince on the OL scares the crap out of me. The talent is certainly there, but this spring and fall camp will be huge for there to be some cohesion among the OLmen. Miller, Head and Sanders all have starting experience, but the rest will not have even played a down (Keenan Stevens excluded, I don't think we'll be seeing much of him next season) I love that we finally have depth on the OL, enough apparently to move a Freshmen AA to FB.

i know that from an experience perspective, you are right to be concerned, but i don't feel like the o-line is a unit we need to worry about. i think the move of kai to fb speaks volumes about the confidence the staff has in the guys on the depth chart at ol.

now, you wanna talk about concern? cornerback. cornerback. cornerback.

did i mention cornerback? :smile2:

i know that from an experience perspective, you are right to be concerned, but i don't feel like the o-line is a unit we need to worry about. i think the move of kai to fb speaks volumes about the confidence the staff has in the guys on the depth chart at ol.

now, you wanna talk about concern? cornerback. cornerback. cornerback.

did i mention cornerback? :smile2:

I mentioned this in a post yesterday, but I am actually more concerned about safety than CB. Dykes was a liability at times last year and we have no depth behind Walters if he misses any games again

Back