What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Major" College Football Conference Realignment expected

I think there would be one hell of a fight from those on the fringe if the super conference thing gets legs. Not an anti-trust expert, but you would think there would be some issues there. There is so much money to be lost from exclusion - there is going to be a fight. Maybe Congress threatens to look at tax-exempt status. I don't know. But this is BIG business.

I think there are many obstacles to this happening. Which is good. **** me if we have to join those assholes from Texas again.

The mid-major schools always threaten to bring congress into the issue but that is a toothless threat. The courts are a bigger issue but even then congress would likely vote in an exemption if they needed to.

Think about the states with congressional delegations that would back their mid-major schools. There aren't many. You could count Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, and a few others.

On the other side supporting the major colleges in a super division, and the money that goes with it you have all the SEC states, all the Big 10 states, The ACC states, the Big XII states. Most of the PAC states would either support the big schools or be neutral. Add it up and the legislative result would be more lopsided that the media rights already are. Do you think that a senator for Alabama or Texas or Florida is going to let UNLV or Wyoming stop their flagship schools from getting the lions share of the money and attention? Not likely in any conceivable way.

In order to have expansion make sense, the schools being picked have to be able to pull in considerably MORE than what we're already getting with our TV deals. If not, no expansion.

Which of these "available" universities would bring in over $30 mil / year?

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas

None of the others. Ever. Ask those two. If they say no, expansion talks over. (I would prefer they say no)

Maybe its just because I live up in the Great Land where the shortest flight "outside" is 3+ hours but I just don't see #1 being a big deal for us. Our plane trips are just as short to Texas/Oklahoma as they are to Cali or Washington. It also only adds another hour our two to the West Coast teams although they would have to make a few extra trips. It seems the only incremental cost would be in fuel for the extra distance which would really be nominal. Am I missing the boat on cost being a factor here?

For CU, that's true. DIA is pretty much 2-3 hours from almost anywhere in the US. However, WSU to Texas Tech is likely at least 5-6 hours of travel.

yes. how is this good for the UNPAID student-athlete? it is a violent dangerous game and adding 2 games to their schedule has health and academic consequences. and don't tell me how they are paid enough because they get a schollie. have you seen the grad rates? i love college football, but the more it morphs into a business (which has been happening for years, of course), the more they have to start thinking about fair compensation for the athletes.

yes, but they are getting paid over $700,000/year in tits and ass. That has to be factored in to the analysis. And thats tax free.

yes, but they are getting paid over $700,000/year in tits and ass. That has to be factored in to the analysis. And thats tax free.

damn, kid, you must be really pitiful if you have to pay for it, especially at those rates.

:lol:

I think it all depends on the format they decide for the 4 team playoffs. If they go with a top 4 ranked program approach, them UT and OU probably won't want FSU and ND in their conference. It would make it that much harder to finish with no more than 1 loss and secure one of the 4 spots.

Anything that keeps UT the hell out of the Pac is fine by me.

The teams in the Big 12 have given up their media rights for the next 3 years. The conference is trying to get the teams to agree to the same for the length of the new TV contract. If/when that happens, it will prevent any team from bolting for what, 13 years?

With the B1G/PAC alliance in place, neither conference has to expand at all. There is literally no situation where we will be left out of whatever football post-season is invented post-BCS. The 12 Pac is fine the way it is.

With the B1G/PAC alliance in place, neither conference has to expand at all. There is literally no situation where we will be left out of whatever football post-season is invented post-BCS. The 12 Pac is fine the way it is.
I like you.

yes. how is this good for the UNPAID student-athlete? it is a violent dangerous game and adding 2 games to their schedule has health and academic consequences. and don't tell me how they are paid enough because they get a schollie. have you seen the grad rates? i love college football, but the more it morphs into a business (which has been happening for years, of course), the more they have to start thinking about fair compensation for the athletes.
Universities will have to compensate players for a 14 game season. This will separate the haves from the have nots more than ever. The mid majors will disappear.

Last edited:
Radio talking-heads down here are saying it might be FSU and Clemson. FSU and sorta lame would be more attractive from a tv perspective, but neither idea is sound in the travel department. However, any of the 3 would be an academic upgrade from WVU.

Neither FSU or Clemson are terribly happy about being in a basketball-centric conference, especially Clemson. And Clemson fans have hated Swofford ever since he under-handedly conspired to add 2 years to their probation about 30 years back.

No. That's GiA - remember Tyler's spleen.

No. He's right. My man-crushes include Darrell Scott and Paul Richardson.

Bitches please. Step your game up.

LynnKatoaDalePlymaleDarrellScott.jpg

Back