1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mandel compares CU non-scandal to the Penn St Situation

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Darth Snow, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/09/penn-state-joe-paterno-mailbag/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

G
    AHJAALAdfjs;ljasfd :bang: **** THAT DA. At least Mandel ended on the "unlike PSU" note... not that he backs away from letting readers assume the accusations were all true.

::pissed:

2. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Asshole. Even gave his rag a self-congratulatory pat on the back by mentioning Katie Hnida by name.

3. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

You knew these stories would come out. Sucks that a national guy did it, because now the local guys are going to jump all over it. Cue Henderson or Jizla.

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Yeah. I was waiting for CU's name to come up. Pisses me off.

5. CUinDC

CUinDC Member

Sucks that our name is going to be dragged through the mud again, despite the situations being very different. But I agree, it's not terribly unexpected, and honestly, I think his take there is pretty fair (didn't read the article, just based on the part quoted).

6. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

**** him!!

7. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

I dont see a problem with the article. Everything he says is true. He doesnt infer that the program deserved what happened.

8. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

His take is fair. He's not damning CU or even equating the severity of what happened at CU to what is happening at PSU. The question is, what can happen to a program when a non-NCAA scandal takes down the president, AD and coach? That happened at CU and it killed the football program.

9. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

That wounded the football program. Hawkins finished the job.

10. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Didn't seem like a bad article to me, he even noted that GN was cleared of all wrong-doing

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

doesn't matter. Getting lumped in with Penn State in any way right now is NOT good. Could it be worse? Yes. Is it good? No.

12. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

I don't know. I am at a point where I appreciate even the mention that we used to be a great program. Many have forgotten that. We are a shell of our former program.

13. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

This.

I don't know why anyone would think being mentioned in the same article as PSU right now could be anything but bad.

14. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Okay, this is taking an unabashedly optimistic view on this, but one may interpret the connection as an example of another highly-touted, respectable program, that we all know will eventually rise again and relating it to just how long it may take for Penn State to recover if things go just as badly for them.

nevermind, "shell of its former self" doesn't really allow for much redemption. furk

15. NW Buff

I said that it was fair not that it was good or bad.

16. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Thats sort of how I felt as well. He rightly points out that when the dust settled a lot of people lost their jobs at CU but it was all much to do about nothing. What Penn State is accused of pales by comparison but were probably the closest thing they had to use as a previous example.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I equate what happened at CU to the Duke lacrosse scandal. The only problem is that at Duke, the perpetrators were the accusors. At CU, the accusors were bought off. I really with CU had the balls to have fought those accusations more vigorously. I know money was an issue, and there was probably a lot of political pressure brought to bear that wasn't an issue at Duke.

18. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

fify

You're welcome. :smile:

19. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think it's somewhat admirable that Mandel at least got the facts right. Nobody was arrested. Nobody was convicted. A bunch of people did lose their jobs. We are a shell of our former self. The important thing, by my estimation, is that he may be one of the only national columnists to ever come out and admit that at CU, nobody ever was even charged with a crime. I think most folks are still under the assumption that CU was fielding a team of rapists.

20. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  21. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Everytime something like this is mentioned it just rekindle's people's false perception of what happened.

22. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

The Penn State story is not even on the same planet as what happened at CU. When your assaulting kids your taking things to a whole different level. I doubt that this has happened at another collage (at least that we know of) Mandel is a douche bag.

23. NW Buff

And you missed his point completely.

24. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

^^This^^

Although we would like to forget that the "scandal" ever happened the rest of the country hasn't. At least in this article Mandel has the intergrity to point out that nothing of substance ever came from it. He also correctly points out that even being associated with the "scandal" even with the lack of actual evidence or legal actions effectively ended the careers of those involved.

His point, effectively made, was not that CU had a scandal but that if something of the nature of the CU situation could have these long standing consequences, the future for PSU, no matter what happens from here on out is going to be ugly and is not going away anytime soon.