1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marketing efforts may pay off

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by dcbuffman, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dcbuffman

dcbuffman Member

I spoke to my son earlier today. He's in his third year at CU. Until last night, he had never watched a Buffs basketball game. He watched on tv and said the team looked pretty good.

More importantly, he said he and his friends plan to start going to home games. Apparently, there are all kinds of giveaways at the games and they are enticing enough for them to make the trek to Coors.

That's encouraging. If the AD continues to market the team and the team keeps winning, maybe they can start putting a respectable number of fans in the seats.

Go Buffs.

2. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Good for them.. I still believe Coach B will turn it around.. He's a good coach..

3. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

As a former participant, off the court, for many basketball events there are plenty of giveaways. It gets a lot of students there and I'm glad your son is taking advantage of them. I hope many other students start to do the same.

There a lot of meetings that go into planning promotions and how to get students interested. Specifically in the Student Spirit Leadership Group. We had many meetings with Bohn and the coaches to discuss promotions. They were very helpful and everyone had some great input.

I hope they continue to do the promotions to try and bring students in.

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

IMO, the students and band have done a great job of supporting a team that hasn't won since forever.

i've been to games at the CEC where i could here conversations of people on the *other side of the arena*.

5. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

:nod: Same here

:huh:

:sad1:

:cry:

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Something that would help a lot (suggested on Rivals) is if Bohn would run game buses from the Hill to Coors.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

You know what would help the most?

BEER.

8. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

This season that's available pre-game and at halftime if you are a season ticket holder

9. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

I used to bring a book and catch up on my studying. No joke.

10. Scotch

Beer at the Foam Dome = ****ty Attendance

No Beer at the Foam Dome = The Same ****ty Attendance

11. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

:nod:

Attendance picks up for Big XII games but what hurts the most is playing teams that no one knows what conference they play in or even what state they are from. And Colorado Christian - seriously? That's a little blip on the radar as I head to Belmar.

But alas, what truly brings the fans out no matter what is an entertaining and successful team. So far, I've felt I've gotten my monies worth watching this team.

And the students are kicking butt so far this season. The best thing to happen to them was to move them behind the bench. Plus, the b-ball band is 2x the size that it ever used to be. :thumbsup:

12. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

Just to give you some perspective on the band, our director came from Kentucky a few years ago and has been slowly but surely turning us into a powerhouse. He knows a thing or two about creating an atmosphere and we've changed a lot in the past 5 years. I enjoy it enough that I drag my butt out of the lab for every game and I'm glad that I'm still allowed to participate even though I'm an employee now.

It's been interesting to see how the team has changed too. I started back in Fall of '05 at the tail end of Patton's tenure and I think that Bzdelik is on the right track. I don't think we'll ever be a Kansas or Texas but I think that we'll be consistently closer to the top than the bottom within a few years. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

13. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

Texas Southern. :smile2:

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Arkansas Pine Bluff

I'll give you Coppin State. I had to look that one up before the game. :smile2:

15. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

:moon:

:lol:

16. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Colorado State. Although they are less significant than Texas Southern and Arkansas Pine Bluff.

17. Mick Ronson

my man. i was at the loss to Southern Utah that ended the Crazy Joe era.

18. sackman

fify.

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I think the students have been great this year. They give $100 bucks to students every game and the pot gets bigger if the student is not there. And last game they gave away an xbox 360. Maybe they should give away a free medical marijuana script if they want the students to pack the house.

20. Scotch

FIFY :thumbsup:

21. Scotch

:lol: Did you make the North Carolina A&T or Elon College games about 10 years ago. Could almost hear a pin drop.

22. sackman

Bah. I just don't enjoy the game itself. Nothing against our team in particular. I may make it to a couple games anyway if the team is doing well. The fact that I can't enjoy a beer at the game is a pretty convincing argument to not show up, though.

23. Mick Ronson

you know who loved beer at the games (besides me)....visiting fans. nearly every game you'd see some group of visitors like ISU peeps damn near dancing a jig on the concourse when they discovered you could *buy beer*.

the 02-03 team that beats both Final Four UT and Kansas in the CEC with Morandais, Pelle, and David Harrison was about the best sports dollar you could spend. good basketball team that gets a tough draw in the NCAA with Izzo (the anti-Patton, because his guys board well and play D), but your GA ticket was 7$, a beer and nachos for 15$ total. good sports entertainment value.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  24. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Doesn't the skip do that?

25. Nor Cal Buff

Nor Cal Buff Well-Known Member

Skip runs up and down Broadway.
    Hop runs through campus but not to the CEC.