What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Marquez Herrod

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
I have been meaning to get this thread started for a while, but never got around to it. With the announcement that he garnered Academic All Big 12 honors today, is seems like the perfect time to do this.

This guy has turned into a pretty good defensive lineman this season (tied for 7th in the Big 12 in sacks). But more importantly, this young man has overcome more obstacles in his short life than most can imagine. He was beaten at an early age by his father. He and his mother were homeless for several months at one point. He moved from foster home to foster home after his mom was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Through all of this, he has managed to rise above it all and now is thriving at CU on the field and in the classroom.

You want to know why I follow CU sports through thick and thin? You want to know why I will never turn my back on the young men and women who choose to represent their university? People like Marquez Herrod are the reason why. I'm officially kicking off Marquez Herrod's 2010 Buffalo Heart Award campaign. Well done Marquez and I am so happy to have you as a member of the CU family!

I didn't know all that about Marquez and he was already one of my favorite Buffs. Thanks for sharing, BB. You're right, this is why we keep being fans of college sports even through the tough times. Rep.

And - Herrod has just as many sacks this season (6.5) as Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh, with 1/100th the publicity. :thumbsup:

I didn't mention before but his story also illustrates one of the great values of college football. Without football someone from his background would very likely be destined for a repeat of the poverty cycle.

Instead he finds something to dedicate his time and energy to as a kid. He finds coaches who keep his attention and even though he may not even have education as a part of his life image he does what is neccessary in the classroom to allow him to keep playing football. Between school and football his time is occupied in a positive way keeping him out of the grips of those around him who are dropping out of school, getting into drugs and crime, and heading down the wrong path.

As he hones his skills as a player he develops the discipline and motivation that will make him successful in his life in many areas other than sport. He also opens doors to a whole new world. He goes off to college, meets and becomes a different kind of person with a different view of his future and different expectations for his life. As he completes college, like most players his chances of playing pro ball are not great but football has opened a completely different outcome for him. He goes on to a career that he would never have dreamed of when he was struggling as a kid. He is able to provide for his kids in a way, financially and emotionally that he never saw in his own youth.

Not all of this may apply to Marcus or other individuals in their youth and some players after their college days revert to their old world but for kids coming from a lower socio-economic background and without a strong functioning family support system football can be the key to changing generations of outcomes.

I don't know all of Marcus's background but it certainly appears that he is taking advantage of what he has made for himself right now and shows a lot of characteristics that would indicate a very solid future in or out of football.

Awesome to see how far Marquez has come. This is why you allow these kids from tough situation there shots at success. I am so proud to see how far he has come and it speaks to his character.:smile2:

Everytime I hear the players interviewed I am proud. I can't recall hearing a kid interviewed that is not extremely articulate.

Last edited:
Everytime I hear the players interviewed I am proud. I can't remember hearing one young man not sound very articulate.

I'm proud of him too. However, DBT, I'm not sure you've ever been less articulate...:lol:

First off, what a great success story here. My wife is a social worker and sees this stuff on a daily basis, it's great to hear a kid who is absolutely making the best of what he has.

Secondly, on the scout article that was linked, did you guys see what Oregon State coaches were showing him trying to lure him in?

"They came to my house and showed me statistics on the weather in Boulder, the cost of living there, and they also brought me a depth chart of Colorado’s defensive end players. They showed me a chart that said CU had eight players at my position."

Cost of living, huh? I just found that interesting.

First off, what a great success story here. My wife is a social worker and sees this stuff on a daily basis, it's great to hear a kid who is absolutely making the best of what he has.

Secondly, on the scout article that was linked, did you guys see what Oregon State coaches were showing him trying to lure him in?

"They came to my house and showed me statistics on the weather in Boulder, the cost of living there, and they also brought me a depth chart of Colorado’s defensive end players. They showed me a chart that said CU had eight players at my position."

Cost of living, huh? I just found that interesting.

What else where they going to do? Take him out on the town in Corvallis?

Back