What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Maryland and Rutgers heading to the Big 10 on Monday.

This Maryland move could actually lead to a positive development on the MWC front. According to ESPN, BSU, BYU and SDSU have had talks about re-joining the conference: http://espn.go.com/college-football...ztecs-byu-cougars-talk-mwc-return-sources-say. Pry away UTEP from Conference USA to get to 14 and you probably have the best conference not in the "Big 5"

Pacific Division
Boise State
San Diego State
Fresno State
San Jose State
UNLV
Nevada
Hawaii

Mountain
BYU
Utah State
Air Force
Colorado State
Wyoming
New Mexico
UTEP

Rotate a championship game between Vegas, Denver, and San Diego and you may have something there. However, this makes way too much sense to happen - so I am sure one of these programs will find a way to screw it up.

Pretty sure that door closed on June 30th when the moves became final to the Big East. More likely, the Big East will eat a few more teams to maintain the conference. Sorry, they just have way more money than the MWC.

After Rutgers and either UConn or Louisville bails, that lineup is at least as good as anything the Big East will throw out there, and I think more likely to win to the auto-bid that is up for grabs for the best ranked "Group of Five" team.

It would be a strong regional conference with some good/elite programs at the top (BYU, BSU), a solid middle (AFA, SDSU and Fresno State) and a bunch of programs trying to break through (although SJSU and USU have had strong seasons). Basically the same way every conference is structured. Throw in the very real and deep hatred between some of the universities because of the prior defections and it could make for some fun Saturdays. Not to mention that it would be an incredible conference for basketball.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that door closed on June 30th when the moves became final to the Big East. More likely, the Big East will eat a few more teams to maintain the conference. Sorry, they just have way more money than the MWC.

I tend to agree with you, but a achool like SDSU has to be wondering if throwing away it basketball program to the Big West is now worth the move. Honestly, I just don't see which programs from the MWC would be willing to join this version of the Big East for football only at this point.

The MWC offered to reconfigure revenue sharing to reflect performance on the field and allow those schools that perform to take a larger share the last time this came up on June 30th. I imagine that may be back on the table and could be a decent solution until the MWC's television contract is up in a few years.

I tend to agree with you, but a achool like SDSU has to be wondering if throwing away it basketball program to the Big West is now worth the move. Honestly, I just don't see which programs from the MWC would be willing to join this version of the Big East for football only at this point.

The MWC offered to reconfigure revenue sharing to reflect performance on the field and allow those schools that perform to take a larger share the last time this came up on June 30th. I imagine that may be back on the table and could be a decent solution until the MWC's television contract is up in a few years.

Big mistake. That is simply the rich getting richer, and a big part of why the Big 12 almost disintegrated.

Big mistake. That is simply the rich getting richer, and a big part of why the Big 12 almost disintegrated.

I don't disagree, but as long as the revenue sharing is attached to some performance standards and not the "we are Texas standard" that seemed to prevail in the old Big 12, I could see it working. At the end of the day it would have to be a short term solution until the MWC can get out of its current television deal which is set to expire in 4 years. After that, move it to an equal revenue share for the members.

I just think the Big East will expand more to the detriment of C-USA and MWC. Big East has more money and better bowl tie-ins. They'll get what they want. Their basketball tournament alone is worth more than either the C-USA or MWC football media contract.

My friend who went to uconn is gonna explode. I look forward to his rants on Facebook whenever this stuff happens :lol:

WVU weaseled their way into the B12 at Louisville´s expense ... looks like it´s Louisville´s turn now.

Chain reaction coming. Big time. Obviously SEC/Big10 will have pick of the litter coming up followed by the Big 12.

Major potential free agent Universities are Notre Dame, UNC, UVA, BC, FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson, Miami, Pitt, Va. Tech or NC State off the top of my head. I feel like speculating, so this is how I see this thing pushing forward toward 64 teams sitting at the big boy table:

I have to imagine that the SEC is dialing up UNC/UVA right now. Climb the Eastern Seaboard. Sign up the last pieces of the common wealth. I'm sure both of these schools are not keen on going to the SEC, but it's going to be a HUGE financial windfall it equates to a trustfund forever. Rivalries like UNC/Duke can be scheduled non-conference. It's about financial seating at the table long term. Those two huge strategic piences would put the SEC at 16. Mizzou would shift to the SEC West, UVA/UNC stay on the east. SEC would be setup VERY well. Both UVA/UNC footprints are growing in terms of population and SEC would get an academic BOOST from having those two schools. That makes more sense than jumping in bed with a bunch of Mid-West schools. I just don't see it happening even though the cultures are similar.

SEC East:

Florida
UGA
Kentucky
UNC
Tennessee
USC
UVA
Vandy

SEC West:

Bama
Auburn
Arkansas
LSU
Miss. St.
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

B10 would move to secure their final two piences in addition to Maryland & Rutgers. Yes, those two schools are sexy picks but it achieved what they wanted it to... to cut through and add the mid-atlantic area. Noticably, the Big 10 has left open two chairs. I think they add BC which would bring forth a great academic institution and culture fit with them. That leaves one spot. I think we all know who has been smoked out and will eventually come to terms that this will be a table of 64, and the Irish will have to take a seat to be a part of it. B10 lands Notre Dame. Obviously, this will be huge for them. Big 10 is moving away from the rust belt and doing what they have to do for their long term future. That's all Maryland/Rutgers were in the deal. The move to draw Notre Dame into checkmate. Upon completion of these additions, I see the Big 10 adopting more of a traditional, East vs. West format:

Big 10 Metro

BC
Illinois
Maryland
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio St
Penn St
Rutgers

Big 10 Farm

Iowa
Indiana
Michigan
MSU
Minnesota
Nebraska
Purdue
Wisconsin

At this point, it will get frantic but there is a method to the madness. The original head scratcher was the Big 12 picking up WVA. It was a hailmary at the time but with the dominoes about the fall, and 6 open conference spots, I see them getting very aggressive to the East/SouthEast. I think FSU, Clemson, Miami, Pitt, Ga. Tech, Va. Tech, & NC State will all be getting calls saying that there are 6 spots, 7 teams that are being offered. Be first. Don't be last. I think FSU/Clemson are already there. Ga. Tech is a HUGE pience sitting in the Atlanta area. Miami is a HUGE pience sitting in the Miami area. I think Pitt is a huge piece and natural rival to WVA. Va. Tech doesn't have much going for it outside of a traditionally good football team, and SEC atmosphere on game days. Yes, the academics are great as well but we're beyond that now. I think NC State, despite solid location gets left at the alter.

Big 12 East

Baylor
Clemson
FSU
Ga. Tech
Miami
Pitt
Va. Tech
West Virgina

Big 12 West

Iowa St.
KU
K-State
OU
OK State
TCU
Tech
Texas

What I am completely unsure of is what does the Pac 12 do? This is a moment in time where they can choose to sit on their hands or they can harpoon the Mountain West Conference which surprisingly, has some solid sports teams. The push is to 64. Leave something out on the table could encourage the Big 12 to potentially look West at some schools like SC along with promising them unevening sharing of TV contract money. I think Pac 12 needs to shut this down now. The conference is gong to have to come to grips with the fact that BYU needs to be an option as there isn't much to pick from. Culturally not a great fit but they will bring heads to the TV sets, more than even Utah does IMO. New Mexico closes off the Pac 12 by way of the Rocky Mountains. Las Vegas has long been a centerpiece of the West Coast as a destination. Larry Scott often talks about hosting a championship game there. A move to the Pac 12, pending completion of a world class sports arena for games could seal this deal up. Finally... who else do they add? Boise? I don't see it. Air Force? Possible, but I don't see that either. Colorado State? Nah. Hawaii however has a lot of polynesian and cultural influence. Their academics are surprisingly underrated on the national scale, something I don't think is lost on the Pac 12 footprint. When the fans are interested and the team competes, the games will draw 50k plus.

Pac 12 North:

BYU
Cal
Colorado
Oregon
Oregon St.
Stanford
Washington
WSU

Pac 12 South:

Arizona
ASU
Hawaii
UCLA
USC
Utah
UNLV
New Mexico

What happens to the ACC & MWC? ACC will still have a future as a great basketball league. Football? It's probably dead or dormant. MWC would still have some solid regional pieces like SDSU, Fresno, Boise, CSU, Wyoming, Air Force, etc.

It's going to be interesting to watch, we all know the B1G wants Notre Dame out of this whole thing and they are going to push as hard as they can to get them. So whatever moves they have to make to force Notre Dame's hand................they're gonna do.

I will probably receive a lot of flak for this, but I think it's possible for the Pac12 to nab Norte Dame (though I believe Big10 is the front runner). One of college football's most storied rivalries is in the USC - ND series. And to lesser extent with Stanford. So other than geographical factors, the appeal is there for them to look west.

I will probably receive a lot of flak for this, but I think it's possible for the Pac12 to nab Norte Dame (though I believe Big10 is the front runner). One of college football's most storied rivalries is in the USC - ND series. And to lesser extent with Stanford. So other than geographical factors, the appeal is there for them to look west.

who would be their travel partner? Louisville perhaps?

RE: Highlander - If UNC goes anywhere it would be the Big 10

It sounds like one of ND's main excuses for not joining a conference is they say they don't want to regionalize themselves too much, which is of course complete and utter bull**** because regardless of how regional a conference they join, they would still have that national brand about them.

But if the Big 10 were to lure UNC we would have a conference that reaches from the entire Midwest into the eastern seaboard (Rutgers, PSU), the mid-Atlantic (MD), and the South (UNC). Suddenly the Big 10 would have much more of a national footprint, and ND could still keep their games with Stanford and USC to get that presence in California every year. And with the ACC starting to fall apart, FSU and/or Clemson would likely be lured by the Big 12, and now the ACC wouldn't be looking like such a good deal to ND anymore.

I believe that's Delany's big plan.

You may be right, I just don't see anybody staring down ALL the money the SEC has with two offers in hand and telling them no, especially not in their backyard. I think if they offer UNC/UVA there will be a ground swell of support from southeasterner's looking to keep UNC home where it can play Duke non-conference, UVA, Tennessee, South Carolina, UGA, Florida, etc. It fits too well to be overlooked IMO. UNC to the Big 10 makes as much sense as Texas to the Big 10 rumors that persisted when UT was trying to strengthen it's hand. I think fans will corral this thing in. folks won't be flying for Chapel Hill to watch a game in Bloomington, or Evanston but they will drive to see games in Athens, Gainesville, Columbia, Knoxville, etc. As much as we give the SEC crap for being an Athletics conference, Vandy, UF, UGA, all are solid academic institutions. UVA/UNC would be highly attractive from that credibility standpoint as well.

You may be right, I just don't see anybody staring down ALL the money the SEC has with two offers in hand and telling them no, especially not in their backyard. I think if they offer UNC/UVA there will be a ground swell of support from southeasterner's looking to keep UNC home where it can play Duke non-conference, UVA, Tennessee, South Carolina, UGA, Florida, etc. It fits too well to be overlooked IMO. UNC to the Big 10 makes as much sense as Texas to the Big 10 rumors that persisted when UT was trying to strengthen it's hand. I think fans will corral this thing in. folks won't be flying for Chapel Hill to watch a game in Bloomington, or Evanston but they will drive to see games in Athens, Gainesville, Columbia, Knoxville, etc. As much as we give the SEC crap for being an Athletics conference, Vandy, UF, UGA, all are solid academic institutions. UVA/UNC would be highly attractive from that credibility standpoint as well.

What you're saying makes perfect sense on paper, but I think that UNC believes they're too good for the SEC.

What you're saying makes perfect sense on paper, but I think that UNC believes they're too good for the SEC.

Which is kind of hilarious considering UNC is currently caught up in one of the biggest academic scandals to hit college sports in years...and they now have a whistleblower.

Talked to a well-placed source today. We may very well see UVA/UNC headed B1G, with VT/NCSU headed SEC. Stay tuned. Won't happen overnight, but quite possibly on the horizon.

Hmmm. I'm guess the big least and the acc leftovers will end up back together.

**** Notre Dame.

This puts pressure on the P12 IMHO because the Big wants the PAC to be its playoff pardner.

what 4 schools could we add?

You gotta figure the Texas 10 will go for it as well and possibly align itself with the LeastACC merger playoff dealio...

We just inched another inch closer towards that 64 team/4 mega conference deal

More and more murmurs of UVA/UNC potentially B1G bound. Still, some serious complications there involving UVA/VT

Interesting to note much of the Maryland fanbase is NOT happy about this move

Last edited:
CVille, this writer for the Roanoke Times who covers UVA is denying the UVA rumors:

Douglas Doughty ‏@DoughtySports Nothing to the Virginia to the Big Ten rumors. NOTHING.

I'm very familiar with Doughty, Carolina. Don't listen to him. He's in Hokie territory and has to take a "best for the Commonwealth" slant.

The murmurs about UVA potentially leaving the ACC are very real (but it's obviously not certain, and it may not be the B1G). I am longtime personal acquaintances with a certain someone at UVA. And while he's dedicated to the ACC and typically not the most proactive man on earth, he is also going to do what it takes to ensure UVA has a seat at the big boys table and that his personal legacy is cemented in a positive manner. Maryland going to the B1G has brought about an absolute paradigm change. Things that seemed preposterous just a week ago are now very real possibilities.

Back