What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matt Ballenger

Maybe so. It was a curious choice for Helfrich/Hawk to burn Hansen's RS at the K-State game while Nelson and Ballenger looked on.

It might have been a curious choice, but you have to remember how decimated the o-line was at that point. I think the choice to go to Hansen probably had a lot to do with getting somebody in there who had the chance to be more than a bug on a windshield if defenses came pouring through the line.

Not that it matters now, since this thread caused Ballenger to transfer.... :rolleyes:

Personally, if I'm Hawk, I got a problem with Ringo more than I do any internet posters... Maybe it's just me though.

It sure became real apparent in the last 2 days that Ballenger wasn't going to play QB in his 3rd year here and had fallen behind Hansen who is in year 2. I think he certainly may have felt like he wasn't given ample opportunity (perhaps) but that is D1 football in the Big12. Guys leave about this time all the time. We will possibly see others leave from this same class. We got a bunch of guys who are in year 3 who are in danger of playing behind younger guys and this is natural in an improving program.

In Ballenger's case he still has 2 years after a sit out year (assuming he goes to D1) or he can go play D2 hoops, which I suspect is his true love. I hope he attains what he's looking for and wish him the best. I also think the staff did him a favor by not dragging this out over the summer. If he came back in the fall and ended up #3, it would be difficult to transfer for just 1 year of eligibility.

So much for me worrying we should have saved some scholarships for 2010!

It might have been a curious choice, but you have to remember how decimated the o-line was at that point. I think the choice to go to Hansen probably had a lot to do with getting somebody in there who had the chance to be more than a bug on a windshield if defenses came pouring through the line.

Not that it matters now, since this thread caused Ballenger to transfer.... :rolleyes:

exactly. I'd seen him in High School and I was calling for him. Cody was getting killed and we needed another dimension badly. Unfortunately, all Hansen could give us was this other dimension, and we were still one-dimensional.... It was a bit of desperation, but hey, we were desperate.

Valdez, I totally respect your views and opinions, you are probably the person I agree with most on this board, but I think this thread is internet board garbage and should be closed.

You make a valid point. I just want to say it was never my intention to start a rumor, or anything detrimental to the program. I guess I'm just frustrated by what I see from the program.

it is not good to be down to just 2 qbs. but, we should see them get thru spring ok and then we've got a 3rd coming in the fall. i think the staff really underestimated the cody factor. the fact that he is the coach's kid just makes it really hard. there is almost nothing you can do to counteract the perception of preferential treatment unless the guy were lights out better than the other guys or lights out worse. in any circumstance other than the foregoing, there are going to be whispers. it isn't fair but it is the way it is, i think.

until cody leaves, it may be hard to land a bluechipper. perception means a lot-- especially when you aren't winning much and other schools can negative recruit in a big way.

good luck to ballenger. i hope he made the right choice for himself. and i hope we don't need a 3rd qb anytime soon.

Personally, if I'm Hawk, I got a problem with Ringo more than I do any internet posters... Maybe it's just me though.

Ringo's story, coupled with the Ralphie Report saying Cody got 90% of the reps are, IMO, two factors that led to Ballenger's decision.

He was put on the spot and maybe embarrassed by the questions.

If practice was closed, it might have gone down a different way, but this way everything sped up and happened in public.

Not saying right or wrong, just pointing out that open practices probably WERE a factor in Ballenger leaving at this point.

Ringo's story, coupled with the Ralphie Report saying Cody got 90% of the reps are, IMO, two factors that led to Ballenger's decision.

If practice was closed, it might have gone down a different way, but this way everything sped up and happened in public.

Not saying right or wrong, just pointing out that open practices probably WERE a factor in Ballenger leaving at this point.
I really don't think that's accurate. This was brewing since last season. I think the lack of reps was the last straw.

You're allowed to do whatever you want. Personally I don't think there is anything good that can come from it, but obviously plenty bad, especially when we create an animal based off of conjecture from how an article is worded, or from what somebody who knows somebody who said they heard this or that said. Just my opinion.

Why are you on any board, then? They are all >95% speculation and opinion.

Valdez, I totally respect your views and opinions, you are probably the person I agree with most on this board, but I think this thread is internet board garbage and should be closed.

I repeat: :rofl2:

Come on, guys, put yourself in these guys' shoes. Do you make a life-changing decision because of something posted on the internet? These kids grew up with it and know it's 90% garbage (I'm in the other 10%, btw :smile2:). You are certainly welcome to your opinions, but I think that's nonsense. This was a case about playing time, and Ballenger realized he wasn't going to get any. He must have really fallen behind for Hawkins to make a comment that he should go back to basketball (a little uncalled for, IMHO).

BTW, Ballenger article: http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=3717672

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_12120129

Yup, I am sure that Ballenger didn't realize Cody got that many reps until he read it on line. Reviewing internet chat boards to determine what is REALLY happening in the program is the event that follows film study. :rolleyes:

I am sure that is why Katoa didn't make it in the classroom... he spent too much time reading internet chatter about what is REALLY happening in Boulder to read a book.

All of this speculation of why Ballenger left may be in some way entertaining, but not relevant. The "where does the program go from here w/ 2 QBs on the roster for the next few months," discussion might make for better conversation... Be careful what you write though, the coaches read this too and make their player decisions based upon our banter.

Oh, and their horoscope.
:smile2:

I really don't think that's accurate. This was brewing since last season. I think the lack of reps was the last straw.

I agree with this.

You could also argue that the seeds were planted when Ballenger got only trash time against UT. He should have come in 1 or 2 series earlier IMO. Then when Hansen's RS was burned for KSU, the writing was on the wall. The die was cast for a QB controversy the day Cody sent his LOI to CU.

Fan boards may be a catalyst for a decission to be made. Comments from annonymous internet sCUm do create an echo chamber that the school is powerless to control. They most certainly are a convenient scapegoat for the coaches during the recruiting process or when kids leave the program. Rarely are the boards given credit for generating a positive buzz.

But the underlying driver has more to do with actions by the players, coaches, and the personal relationships that the player maintains in the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I am sure that Ballenger didn't realize Cody got that many reps until he read it on line. Reviewing internet chat boards to determine what is REALLY happening in the program is the event that follows film study. :rolleyes:

Of course Ballenger knew. But Ringo put him on the spot in the interview, especially commenting on how uncomfortable Matt was with the question. I can only guess that CU's intent was to keep MB around as a backup, backup.

NOT to get him to leave program.

But I sure don't know. Does anybody think they wanted him to leave? I don't.

This all just plays into what Hawkins thinks about information and practices, etc., because it lends itself to the theory that reports are messing with the dynamics of the team and the team and coaches.

by the way I haven't had any coffee, so I reserve the right to read this later, decide I'm an idot and retract any and all comments. Just pissed to hear that so many guys are leaving...

Of course Ballenger knew. But Ringo put him on the spot in the interview, especially commenting on how uncomfortable Matt was with the question. I can only guess that CU's intent was to keep MB around as a backup, backup.
I can't blame Ringo for this. If Ballenger didn't want to answer the question he didn't have to. Ringo is a really laid back guy. I doubt he was trying to put Matt on the spot.

I can't blame Ringo for this. If Ballenger didn't want to answer the question he didn't have to. Ringo is a really laid back guy. I doubt he was trying to put Matt on the spot.

I know 2 people with the name ringo, one is cool and the other is not...........

I know 2 people with the name ringo, one is cool and the other is not...........
No love for the Starr?
ringo_starr.jpg

I don't know if it was appropriate for Ringo to ask Matt B. if he was "getting a fair shake" but IMO, Ballenger didn't answer the question, but Ringo filled in the blanks with the description and the following response.
Remember, this interview was published just one day before Ballenger left.

Ballenger cringed at the question Thursday when asked whether he believes he is getting a fair shake.
"I don't know that I'm at liberty to answer that," Ballenger said. "I don't want to cause anything between me and Helfrich. That's up to him and what he decides is what he decides. It's up to him and what he decides is obviously what is best for the team. I've just got to keep working hard."
http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/apr/10/ballenger-taking-backseat-cu-quarterbacks-hansen/

Reading that exchange was painful -- there wasn't any news to report, but Ringo pushed the 3-string qb into making awkward comments. Not particularly good journalism and certainly not kind.

What good can come of asking a player if he thinks his coach is being fair? Seriously, how was Matt supposed to react? It was a question that sounds like "hey, let's you and Helfrich fight, okay?"

Last edited:
If Ringo was trying to pull what you're saying, I think the press would've been kicked out of practice. I see your point, but I doubt that was what Ringo was trying to do. JMHO.

I don't know if it was appropriate for Ringo to ask Matt B. if he was "getting a fair shake" but IMO, Ballenger didn't answer the question, but Ringo filled in the blanks with the description and the following response.
Remember, this interview was published just one day before Ballenger left.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/apr/10/ballenger-taking-backseat-cu-quarterbacks-hansen/

Reading that exchange was painful -- there wasn't any news to report, but Ringo pushed the 3-string qb into making awkward comments. Not particularly good journalism and certainly not kind.

What good can come of asking a player if he thinks his coach is being fair? Seriously, how was Matt supposed to react? It was a question that sounds like "hey, let's you and Helfrich fight, okay?"

You've heard ringo interview players and coaches,does it sound professional to you? I'd say no...

If Ringo was trying to pull what you're saying, I think the press would've been kicked out of practice. I see your point, but I doubt that was what Ringo was trying to do. JMHO.

I don't think Ringo was trying to pull anything, I think he absolutely does not think before he asks the question.

"Hi, player, do you think you're getting screwed by the coaches at CU?"

It's halfway to "have you stopped beating your wife?"

Either Ballenger says, no, it's all good with the coachs and I just suck,
or he says, yes, the coaches are ignoring me and I'm not getting a fair shake, plus I'm a conceited A$$hole with an inflated opinion of myself.

I just don't see how the question itself was going to provide any actual "news" information, and I see instead that it was trapping Ballenger in a conversation that he shouldn't have been in. I just don't get why Ringo doesn't know better.

He did the same thing with a recruit in December - BEFORE the kid was even offered by CU - asked a leading question and then answered it in the column. It was very unpleasant for a while there watching it unfold.

JMO.

I continue my rant.

Ringo again putting words in Matt Ballenger's mouth, words MB didn't actually say, but according to Kyle Ringo, he's able to read players' minds.

I won't c&p the article, or even the whole paragraph, but from Scout premium:

... it was clear he didn't believe he was given a fair chance to win the starting job based on how he answered questions about the subject.

uh-huh. Just let the kid leave with some class, would ya?

Maybe this was the Incident that pissed off Hawk and closed PRACTICE!!

I don't think Ringo was trying to pull anything, I think he absolutely does not think before he asks the question.JMO.

I agree. He also writes poorly. This career doesn't seem to be a good fit for him, although most sportswriters are just as bad. Hey Ringo, I WILL have fries with that!

Back