What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matt Russell arrested

There is the occasional taxi, but you'd be waiting a damn long time. That said driving drunk in Frisco is jsut dumb the cops are always trolling main st looking for people to bust for breaking the 20mph limit.

Or just do what Matt did and plow into a cop to get their attention.

You might be thinking of Richard Bynny.

No ... I'm not. I remember it very well.

And do you have any verification that Chancellor Byyny (note the proper spelling of his name) had any DUIs while he was serving at CU (or for that matter ... at any other time)?

If not ... perhaps you should check your facts before making unfounded aspersions.

There is the occasional taxi, but you'd be waiting a damn long time. That said driving drunk in Frisco is jsut dumb the cops are always trolling main st looking for people to bust for breaking the 20mph limit.

Isn't real hard to ask the bartender or the manager of the bar to get you a cab. A guy I know who was a bar owner fired an employee for failing to call a cab for a customer who requested it. Said the legal liability is just way to high.

I am willing to bet that had he asked for a cab at the bar the bar would have had no trouble getting him one. There are Taxi's in Summit County. They may not be cheap but they are way cheaper than what this is going to cost Russell.

In the non-news news of the day. ESPN is reporting that Broncos team president Joe Ellis is stating the the Broncos will take the lead on suspending both Matt Russel and Tom Heckert. Ellis also stated that he expects the league to hand down punishments and that he expects "lengthy" suspensions.

I'd expect he could have found a couple of guys where one could drive him home and the other follow to take his buddy back. Or something like that.

Isn't real hard to ask the bartender or the manager of the bar to get you a cab. A guy I know who was a bar owner fired an employee for failing to call a cab for a customer who requested it. Said the legal liability is just way to high.

I am willing to bet that had he asked for a cab at the bar the bar would have had no trouble getting him one. There are Taxi's in Summit County. They may not be cheap but they are way cheaper than what this is going to cost Russell.

Not quite. I was a bartender for a number of years and outside of Denver the cabs would rarely come. Some bars work with the taxi companies to ensure that a cab will always be there but the bars I worked at if you called the cab company the chances of them showing up was about 50%.

Not quite. I was a bartender for a number of years and outside of Denver the cabs would rarely come. Some bars work with the taxi companies to ensure that a cab will always be there but the bars I worked at if you called the cab company the chances of them showing up was about 50%.

I can see your point in certain areas. Cabs not interested in driving that far to pick up someone who might puke in your cab or be gone long before you get there.

Summit county though shouldn't be one of those areas. A quick web search shows at least three taxi companies that are local and in the past I have seen taxi's picking people up outside of bars there as we were leaving at night. In the worst case if Russell had slipped the bartender a $20 he would have figured out how to get him a cab.

Bottom line is that had Russell not wanted to drive there are other options that are not that difficult to do.

I remember a long time back my planned ride leaving me at the Dark Horse. Instead of driving I just crashed in the backseat of my car. At one point I heard a banging on the window of the car and a Boulder cop asking me what I was doing there. I told him that my sober ride had left me and that I didn't want to drive drunk. He told me that he wasn't supposed to let me stay there but that since I had made the best decision just to make sure I was gone in the morning before the next shift took over.

I dont disagree that there are cabs, but you may well be waiting 45 minutes+ to get it on a busy Saturday night, and you might have to call a second one if it no-shows, that is all i was saying. Obviously waiting an hour plus is better than a dui, no argument there, just a simple statement that cabs are more scarce in Summit than Denver and they take a long time to show up.

I'd expect he could have found a couple of guys where one could drive him home and the other follow to take his buddy back. Or something like that.

No ****, "Hi, Matt Russell, I am the broncos director of player personel, need a small favor"

CJ was making a fool of himself about this yesterday. Instead of saying that Matt ****ed up, he was calling the accident a "cry for help" as if Russell is somehow the victim in this. It is simply dumb luck that he didn't kill somebody after hitting two seperate vehicles and injuring the police officer.

CJ was trying to spin this into a discussion about maybe alcohol should be banned from sporting events (not sure how he got there as I didn't listen to the whole show). Personal resposibility and accountability is literally kryptonite to some people, and just the concept seems completely alien to these folks.

CJ is often a good voice of reason, but he just sounded like he was defending his boy and deflecting the discussion to a cultural issue.

CJ was making a fool of himself about this yesterday. Instead of saying that Matt ****ed up, he was calling the accident a "cry for help" as if Russell is somehow the victim in this. It is simply dumb luck that he didn't kill somebody after hitting two seperate vehicles and injuring the police officer.

CJ was trying to spin this into a discussion about maybe alcohol should be banned from sporting events (not sure how he got there as I didn't listen to the whole show). Personal resposibility and accountability is literally kryptonite to some people, and just the concept seems completely alien to these folks.

CJ is often a good voice of reason, but he just sounded like he was defending his boy and deflecting the discussion to a cultural issue.

I read that as CJ saying that he and other in Matt's circle have known for a while that Matt has a drinking problem and have witnessed the problem escalating. He's not a journalist here.

anyone who is so gone as to blow a .2 and is incapable of controlling a car to the point Matt was in is way beyond thinking. It's just basic instinct at that point.

"want go home" was probably the most complicated thought in his head. No thinking he should get a cab etc.

anyone who is so gone as to blow a .2 and is incapable of controlling a car to the point Matt was in is way beyond thinking. It's just basic instinct at that point.

"want go home" was probably the most complicated thought in his head. No thinking he should get a cab etc.

Truf.

Although it's not hard to work out designated driver details when still sober. That's what responsible people do. He should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I dont disagree that there are cabs, but you may well be waiting 45 minutes+ to get it on a busy Saturday night, and you might have to call a second one if it no-shows, that is all i was saying. Obviously waiting an hour plus is better than a dui, no argument there, just a simple statement that cabs are more scarce in Summit than Denver and they take a long time to show up.

No question it may be inconvienient and have to wait, that's the price you pay for going out getting loaded without a plan already in place. Still a lot less inconvienient than getting booked and calling your lawyer to get you out.

If you cannot keep yourself from making stupid decisions that put others lives at risk as well as your professional future when drinking then you have a drinking problem and shouldn't drink. Lots of people can go out and have a good time, get someplace between tipsy and laoded, and not drive. Their time and money, their choice. This thing is going to end up costing Russell thousands in legal fees and increased insurance cost, probably at least six figures in his fine from the NFL based on the fine they gave the Lions President (and he didn't hit a cop car while driving drunk,) and potentially tens of thousands more in his future by slowing down his career advancement based on poor personal judgement and a desire to avoid bad publicity.

Thankfully he didn't end up hurting somebody badly or it would have been even worse for him, and more importantly for the innocent person or people he hit.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...=Search-www.denverpost.com-www.denverpost.com

No amount of jail time will make this right for the family.

Last edited:
I read that as CJ saying that he and other in Matt's circle have known for a while that Matt has a drinking problem and have witnessed the problem escalating. He's not a journalist here.

But it's fun for us when he gets Elway hammered at CU bball games and makes him throw basketballs

Suspended indefinitely without pay, Broncos will provide treatment as needed

Heckert´s been suspended for a month

finally read the article. yeah a lot of bad decisions but man, if you're going to get a DUI smashing into a cop car is the way to do it like a boss.

finally read the article. yeah a lot of bad decisions but man, if you're going to get a DUI smashing into a cop car is the way to do it like a boss.

:lol: I keep looking at your avatar and thinking that he is the exact guy I would imagine doing something like that.

Back