1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maui Invitational Field 09-10

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Mick Ronson, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Maui Invitational: Gonzaga, Colorado, Cincinnati, Maryland, Wisconsin, Chaminade, Arizona, Vanderbilt.

don't know much about who's coming back for any of these squads (minus U of A and the Grievous kid for the Terps) but looks pretty stout on paper. I'd guess we get 1-2 games against very good competition and possibly (worst case scenario) a W against Chaminade. With a W against any of the non-Chaminade teams that would mean likely 3 games against better than mid-level "BCS" conference type teams. that would equal how many previous non-con schedules in previous seasons? 4, 5, ? More? In 3 days.

much better experience for our guys than previous OOC's....dating back to forever (though, mid-career Ricardo scheduled a few a decent one-offs....the horrible, punch a hole in the dash board L to UGA in Boulder comes to mind).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

Oh lordie, I still remember those final ticks of the clock .... me screaming for the Buff players nearest the loose ball to hustle after it and get it before the UGA player could get to it. But they didn't; he did; and made the !@#$%^&* final shot to win the game.

3. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

That's a murderers' row of (not elite but) above average programs the last decade-plus. Should give CU some good national TV exposure, especially were they to steal one against a Gonzaga or Wisconsin squad.

Negative-minded corollary: Or drop one to Chaminade.

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Does anybody know exactly where Chaminade is located? I've probably been on the island of Maui 10 times, but I've never seen it.

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I had to use google maps. It's not on Maui. It's located in Honolulu directly North of Diamond Head on the inland side of the H1, and just east of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. www.chaminade.edu. Makes Regis look big.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Interesting. Thanks. I'll stop looking for it on Maui now.

Of course this brings up the question of why are they having the tournament on Maui when the host school is on Oahu.

7. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

they want the vacation in Hawaii, too

8. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

That's nice to see us in one of the top early-season tournaments like this one with, along with some high-profile teams.

9. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

As a kid I was a big SMU fan, and they had a pretty solid Bball team in the early 80's. They played in this tourney back then and got beat by Chaminade. I remember the comment that Chaminade had several big upsets in their tourney back then. They beat Louisville, and Virginia when UVA was ranked 1st in the nation and had Ralph Sampson at center.

Here's a link on the UVA win.
    http://www.mmbolding.com/basketball/Chaminade.htm

10. Mick Ronson

i remember them beating UVA. so, SMU fan? was that Bliss era with Koncak and Carl Rose, no? my sister works at SMU.

11. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

That was the era. The highest payroll in college bball.:smile2: You probably meant Carl Wright, not Rose. That you would remember that guy is impressive, Mick.

12. Mick Ronson

yeah, Carl Wright. i used to read everything i could find about college hoops as kid--i subbed to SI, sporting news, all that. i remember some of it, some of it i don't.

heh. good times though.