What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

maurice purify arrested for assault

Just thought you all should know, it no longer looks like she was hit with this type of punch. Witnesses are saying she was behind him trying to pull him off of the bouncer and he turned and fired a punch at her.

oh crap!

I guess the police report said that the chic (forgive me lady blaise), had only some redness around her cheek. So either Mo punches like a girl or didn't punch her.

the initial injury often does look like simple redness. later the edema (swelling) and bruising patterns set in. just an observation based upon numerous falls out of trees, dirt bike mangles, gymnastics mishaps, and the like.

however, maybe moe is a girlie man as well... :lol:

FWIW, he could go to jail for the summer, and would find himself out no more than a one game suspension. you have the freaking ex coach of the raiders, for crying out loud. he KNOWS his head is on the chopping bock, and the college schtick is a mite different, i would guess, than he imagined.

Last edited:
I know you're trying to make this seem like it's not such a big deal, but the fact of the matter is that Purify should have been smarter than to put himself in a position where this kind of thing can happen. It's just plain stupid. Cally should be beside himself about how one of his kids would get himself into this kind of spot in the first place. Especially in a place like Lincoln, where everybody in the whole town knows every guy on the football team, they are TARGETS.

When I was at CU, we used to get guys like Alfred Williams coming to the fraternity house for parties because it was a way for him to socialize without being in a very public place like Pearl St. It's not rocket science. Keep your ass away from those situations.

let me reiterate what I already wrote earlier:

"by the way, everyone should know that I'm not defending Mo at all here. He was really stupid for doing what he did. I'm just saying, it's a barfight is all."

Guys, prior to my oil and gas days, I spent some time as both a prosecutor and a defense attorney. The PC affidavit is based totally on any statements or evidence that would tend to make guilt more likely than not. In other words, it is the accusations in the light most damaging to the defendant. Some PC affidavits are not worth the paper they are written on while others are pretty accurate. My point is, you still have to wait and see.

let me reiterate what I already wrote earlier:

"by the way, everyone should know that I'm not defending Mo at all here. He was really stupid for doing what he did. I'm just saying, it's a barfight is all."

I know what you're saying, but it isn't JUST A BARFIGHT. "Just a barfight" happens between two drunk construction workers arguing over who's truck is better. When a football player is involved, particularly in Lincoln, it's never "just a barfight". It's more, a lot more. And he should know that. Cally should know that. The whole effing team should know that.

the initial injury often does look like simple redness. later the edema (swelling) and bruising patterns set in. just an observation based upon numerous falls out of trees, dirt bike mangles, gymnastics mishaps, and the like.

however, maybe moe is a girlie man as well... :lol:

at least he did not grab her crotch and try to shove his tongue down her throat.:thumbsup: :wink2:

at least he did not grab her crotch and try to shove his tongue down her throat.:thumbsup: :wink2:

what an outstanding citizen. :huh:

when i lived in omaha, that very thing happened to me on the part of a nebraska football player, with one modification: he grabbed my backside. dumbass couldn't even pay respect to the fact that i twice walked away from him while dancing. nor to the fact that i was wearing a wedding ring.

so, i grabbed his balls in none too friendly a grip and gritted through my teeth that if he did not step off, he would have to crawl off.

my friends were shocked that i would rebuff him. "do you know who he is?" they asked.

when i lived in omaha, that very thing happened to me on the part of a nebraska football player, with one modification: he grabbed my backside. dumbass couldn't even pay respect to the fact that i twice walked away from him while dancing. nor to the fact that i was wearing a wedding ring.

so, i grabbed his balls in none too friendly a grip and gritted through my teeth that if he did not step off, he would have to crawl off.

my friends were shocked that i would rebuff him. "do you know who he is?" they asked.

Was it Frankie Solich? :smile2: Ya know how he likes to hang out in clubs and throw down gallons of beer! Passes out behind the wheel of a car, and states that "someone must of placed something in my drink!" :lol:

Was it Frankie Solich? :smile2: Ya know how he likes to hang out in clubs and throw down gallons of beer! Passes out behind the wheel of a car, and states that "someone must of placed something in my drink!" :lol:

no. he did not do that kind of stuff till AFTER he left nowledge u. :thumbsup: (standard fusker comment) :lol:

I am impressed..... :thumbsup:

That you were able to find a fusker football players balls, much less get a firm grip on them, that is... :lol:

The Sound of Silence

Not sure if someone posted this but i found it on rivals.com. He didn't name the author of the article but it sounds like he is from Numbraska.

-------------------------------------
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hear that? Listen real close.

Nothing?

Well, I’d hardly say nothing, but it does speak volumes to who and what we are dealing with.

Enter the case of Mo Purify. A highly gifted wide receiver from the West Coast, who found is way to middle America to play football at a well-known university on the plains. In 2006 he had 34 catches for 640 yards and 7 touchdowns. Although appearing to take a play off from time to time, (And fumbling away any chance the Huskers had…which let’s face it wasn’t that much…to beat OU in the Big 12 title game) the 6’4 receiver dazzled normally forward-pass-ignorant fans in Memorial stadium with circus catches over a wide variety of defensive backs. As the year went on, Purify became the prime target of Zac Taylor, who was tasked to make the great failed Raider coach experiment work for the Husker nation.

Purify, who was actually named the Community College Association Student Athlete of the month once, was counted on to be a key cog in the Keller-Purify-Lucky combo that was to run rough shot over the Big 12 in 2007, and serve as a stepping stone to the full-scale domination of college football sure to follow later on in this decade. I don't know Maurice Purify. He might be an OK guy...not for me to decide.

But, in the tradition of all the Husker greats before him, Mo found a bit of trouble in the form of O Street on a Saturday night.

Now I’m not going to lie to you people. I”ve been to O Street more time than I can count in my lifetime. I’m not about to preach to you about how he shouldn’t have been out blah blah blah, because I myself have been slumped over a bus stop after drinking my weight in Elk-Creek water at Sandy’s. I’ve hung out at Iguana’s more times than I can remember, watching drunk coeds make out on the hood of the cars parked out front. (Always loved Iguanas) However, in all of those many trips to O-Street…even when I was a student athlete, I never felt the need to jump a fence, attack a bouncer, punch his girlfriend, put him in a choke hold and have four LPD officers drag me off into the night.

As you probably can guess…I’m not exactly shocked by all this. Let’s face it, the guy was from California, he was allegedly drunk, he may or may not have been provoked (the police report says he wasn’t). He got pissed off at a guy and he lost it. That’s all fine and good. People get into scrapes all the time; even athletes. But at what point is a “minor scrape” considered an embarrassing incident? I recall a Husker lineman cracking a Ralston firefighter over the head with a pool cue once. I recall Abdul Mohammad getting into a scrap or two in season. I recall Tagoa Fonoti (If I recall) got in trouble for making terroristic threats at a teacher. Hell, twice Huskers have been charged with assault while IN UNIFORM on the field. (Houston and Delome) All of those guys had their publicity. All of those guys had their punishment, and that was that.

But the Purify case is different.

Even in the most extreme cases of Husker players-gone-wild, I don’t recall the pure denial, the raw brushing aside, or even the flat-out jovial comments Husker fan has displayed since this has happened. Many Husker fans online and out and about, think of it as just another scrap. “Guys get in fights all the time. It’s not a big deal.”

So is it a big deal if a girl gets jacked in the face? Is it a big deal if he gets thrown in jail for a night? Hell, the only reason he’s not being charged with a felony, is because the bouncer wasn’t hurt. (I’m guessing Mo probably picked up a bottle or something to throw at the guy, and promptly fumbled it.) But either way, it happened in front of a huge crowd, while he was drunk..and to top all of THAT off..it took 4 Lincoln cops to take him down. (And DO NOT give me this “the LPD has it out for Husker players” bull****, because ANYBODY else on earth gets tasered in that situation).

I’m not shocked by the silence coming from the Husker mountain fortress, nor am I surprised by Husker fans’ reaction that this isn’t that big of a deal. Purify is counted on to be JC Keller’s #1 target all season long. Purify is an NFL prospect; one that is the only thing standing between you and Franz Hardy. Purify is the guy with enough leaping ability and skill (When he tries), that he can break any game open on one single pass. Why shouldn’t you be scared to death of losing him? Who’s going to replace him? Terrance Nunn? That Pederson kid? And no offense..but you guys aren’t exactly the moral compass of college football and haven’t been, ever since Lawrence Phillips decided to climb up that gutter to get a piece of Scott Frost.

But it doesn’t stop with you all. Hardly any TV stations covered the incident. The Omaha World Herald had hardly 5 paragraphs on the situation. Even Husker beat-writer Steve Sipple has only thrown out a few details over the past few days. And the Husker Athletic Department and coaching staff?....... (Crickets chirping) I told you this before, and it still rings true now. Bill Callahan isn’t going to do a damn thing about this, and life will go on as normal. The charges will magically be “dropped”, Husker fan will reassure everyone that despite 200 witnesses, despite a small army of police who saw it all…it wasn’t a big deal.

Quite frankly, I don’t really care if he gets suspended…kicked off the team…or even gets a special banquet in his honor at a gala event hosted by Christen Peter and Richie Incognito. It’s completely irrelevant. It’s pretty bad when a serious incident like this is met with silence and indifference. Not because of the crime, but because we’ve ALL seen this time and time and time again. This isn’t anything new. If anything, some of you are actually happy that it happened, because it brings you one step closer to entering that time capsule to 1995.

Mo Purify hasn’t been found guilty of anything and may not ever get charged with anything. But despite the legal antics of George Achola and anybody else who gets involved in this quiet little mess, this will once again prove what the rest of us have known for years. You’re the poster children of everything that is wrong in college sports. Not because you’re any different than any other program…but because you think you are.

As Depeche Mode sang…Enjoy the silence.

If I was a Nebraska fan I'de probably look the other way and even as a CU fan I really don't care. It's nice fodder for making fun of Nebraska--not that there's enough already--but hell, I don't place the football team on a pedestal. If he gets jail time that cuts into the season or the school judiciary committee bans him from the university then he shouldn't play.

Re: The Sound of Silence

LadyBlaise - I read your comment on the grab happy Husker. Good for you. My 9 year old daughter had an incident with a 9 year old boy and now knows to "kick him where he pees". She'll do just fine in such situations and I only hope that she has the grit to take such action when necessary and her friends have the grit to stand with her in such situations. Good for you!

Re: The Sound of Silence

i was slightly older than your girl when i learned the same lesson after the y chromosome got the better of an acquaintance of mine and he copped a feel. after that, i figured it was far better to bloody and maim than to be a victim.

i needed to re-learn that lesson once more in my life, after alcohol got the better of me. i exacted my vengeance in the form of breaking off two teeth from my assailant after i sobered up.

i do not think the world is going to be fair to your daughter. she must learn to act with class in a classy environment, and to be the arm of the wrath of god when things go awry.

looks like it is now effectively swept under the rug....... most likely won't even go to trial.

NU Football Notes: Purify granted pre-trial diversion
BY RICH KAIPUST AND MITCH SHERMAN
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• NU football schedule
• 2008 NU football commitments

RELATED

• NU football schedule
• 2008 NU football commitments
LINCOLN - Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify has been authorized to participate in a pre-trial diversion program, which would make it unlikely that formal charges would be filed against him in Lancaster County court for his arrest nearly four weeks ago.

Chief City Prosecutor John McQuinn said his office, after reviewing police reports, agreed to pre-trial diversion at the request of Purify's attorney, Jon Braaten. As of Wednesday, however, McQuinn said nothing has been arranged yet.

Purify is scheduled for a June 7 appearance in Lancaster County court.

"At the present time, we assume that he won't be going to court if he participates in pre-trial diversion," McQuinn said. "If something should happen and if he elects not to participate, then our office would probably reassign him a court date."

It's unclear how pre-trial diversion might affect any team discipline handed down by Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. In a statement after Purify's arrest, Callahan said he was "very concerned about this current situation" but wouldn't comment further until the matter went through the legal process.

Lincoln police charged Purify with two counts of assault, resisting arrest, trespassing and failure to comply after a May 5 incident at a downtown Lincoln bar. Purify allegedly threw a man over a table and hit him several times, and allegedly also struck the victim's girlfriend.

Purify was the Huskers' second-leading receiver last season, catching 34 passes for 630 yards and seven touchdowns.

2007 recruit lost

The Nebraska football team has lost a recruit from its class of 2007.

Offensive lineman Aaron Schulte of Norfolk Catholic did not qualify academically and will enroll in the fall at a junior college, his high school coach, Jeff Bellar said.

Schulte, a first-team All-Class C-1 pick last year, was one of three offensive lineman among the 28 players to sign in February. His removal leaves Arizona products Jaivorio Burkes and Marcel Jones as the Huskers' only newcomers on the line next season.

Schulte was a late addition to the class, accepting an NU offer just before signing day.

Bellar said Schutle is considering the North Dakota School of Science in Wahpeton, N.D.

"The Nebraska coaches recommended two or three (junior colleges)," Bellar said. "They told him that if it all goes well for two years, they'll look at him again."

Coaches Academy

Nebraska assistant coaches Ted Gilmore and Buddy Wyatt will be among 26 minority coaches taking part in the NCAA Expert Coaches Academy today through Sunday in Miami.

The Expert Coaches Academy is an NCAA-sponsored program which addresses the shortage of ethnic minorities in head coaching positions in college football, primarily Division I-A. Its mission is to assist coaches with career advancement, networking and exposure.

Also, Nebraska Athletic Director Steve Pederson is the keynote speaker for the opening session of the Expert Coaches Academy. Pederson is the chairman of the NCAA Football Issues Committee.

Gilmore is the Huskers' receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, and entering his third season on the staff. Wyatt came from Alabama to replace John Blake as NU's defensive line coach last December.

Former NU offensive coordinator Jay Norvell, now at UCLA, participated in last year's Expert Coaches Academy.

Top scholars

Former Nebraska fullback Dane Todd, along with NU swimmer Lauren Bailey, were among 24 student-athletes selected as recipients of the Dr. Prentice Gautt Postgraduate Scholarship for 2006-07, as announced by the Big 12 Conference.

Todd adds to a long list of honors that includes being the 2007 Walter Byers Award winner and a second-team Academic All-American last season. The athletes receive a $7,500 grant.

Last edited:
copied from a husker website, I do not know if it is true or not.....

LINCOLN - Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify has been authorized to participate in a pre-trial diversion program, which would make it unlikely that formal charges would be filed against him in Lancaster County court for his arrest nearly four weeks ago.

Chief City Prosecutor John McQuinn said his office, after reviewing police reports, agreed to pre-trial diversion at the request of Purify's attorney, Jon Braaten. As of Wednesday, however, McQuinn said nothing has been arranged yet.

Purify is scheduled for a June 7 appearance in Lancaster County court.

"At the present time, we assume that he won't be going to court if he participates in pre-trial diversion," McQuinn said. "If something should happen and if he elects not to participate, then our office would probably reassign him a court date."

It's unclear how pre-trial diversion might affect any team discipline handed down by Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. In a statement after Purify's arrest, Callahan said he was "very concerned about this current situation" but wouldn't comment further until the matter went through the legal process.

Lincoln police charged Purify with two counts of assault, resisting arrest, trespassing and failure to comply after a May 5 incident at a downtown Lincoln bar. Purify allegedly threw a man over a table and hit him several times, and allegedly also struck the victim's girlfriend.

probation sounds fair. cally better stay on his ass to get any terms met. not too long ago, a husker ran out of time, and was in deep doo.

probation sounds fair. cally better stay on his ass to get any terms met. not too long ago, a husker ran out of time, and was in deep doo.

Yep and look where Phillips is today! Still sickens me that he pissed all that talent away. Some kids never truly understand or appreciate the gift of playing not only NCAA football but making it to the NFL. :huh:

Yep and look where Phillips is today! Still sickens me that he pissed all that talent away. Some kids never truly understand or appreciate the gift of playing not only NCAA football but making it to the NFL. :huh:

what about a full scholly for a college degree????

it wasn't phillips i was thinking about. it was a husker on probation for assaulting someone, and who was given some time to complete community servicehours. he could not be bothered to do so, and he earned further consequences.

i am REALLY stretching my memory here, but was it tagoai? if not, i am horridly sorry for incorrectly pointing a finger at him. help from the red clad crowd? he is YOUR boy. you should keep track of him.

Most kids don't appreciate anything, unfortunately. :sad1:

and how many kids, getting a free ride for a college degree at Div IA, IIA, or even IIIA make it to the Pros and make a team???

Do I have to get out my crayon so you understand what I was trying to say? I know being from "mobilehoma" you can get confused easily. :lol: I was simply saying playing college football at ANY level is a privilege not a right and if they are oh so lucky to make to the NFL that should make it that much sweeter. In otherwords some kids don't appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it wasn't phillips i was thinking about. it was a husker on probation for assaulting someone, and who was given some time to complete community servicehours. he could not be bothered to do so, and he earned further consequences.

i am REALLY stretching my memory here, but was it tagoai? if not, i am horridly sorry for incorrectly pointing a finger at him. help from the red clad crowd? he is YOUR boy. you should keep track of him.

Yes it was Tagoai. He assaulted his girlfriend while she was holding their baby in 2003 if I am correct.

Back