What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Maurice Purify cited for drunk driving

plea bargained yesterday. I would expect a 2-3 game suspension IMO.

NU Football: Purify gets probation
BY RICH KAIPUST
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Maurice Purify said he hoped to "be afforded a second chance to do what I love to do" after the Nebraska football player reached resolution on his legal matters Wednesday.

Maurice PurifyPurify received 12 months' probation and fines totaling $1,250 after pleading no contest to four charges stemming from two separate incidents. Two other charges were dismissed as part of a plea agreement reached before his Lancaster County Court appearance.

Lincoln attorney Jon Braaten said he was satisfied with the outcome and called the punishments appropriate for Purify. The senior receiver said he fully expects that it will result in him missing some football games next season.

"It will," Purify said in a brief interview outside the courtroom. "But I don't know how long."

According to NU media relations director Keith Mann, head coach Bill Callahan had no immediate comment Wednesday but indicated he would address the Purify situation in the next few days. The Huskers begin preseason practice Aug. 6 and open the season Sept. 1 against Nevada.

Callahan suspended Purify indefinitely after his June 8 arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence. According to the Nebraska State Patrol, Purify's blood-alcohol level was .138 after he was stopped for driving 49 mph in a 40 mph zone and failing to signal a turn near Interstate 180 and Cornhusker Highway.

With a no contest plea to that charge, Purify forfeited any right to a trial and was fined $400 in addition to probation. He also was ordered into outpatient drug and alcohol treatment. His license wasn't suspended or revoked, but he will have an "ignition interlock" attached to his vehicle for 60 days.

That incident followed his May 5 arrest after a fight at a Lincoln bar, which included two charges of assault and one each of trespassing, refusal to comply with the order of police and hinder/delay of arrest.

Purify pled no contest to one assault charge (against a male) and had the other dropped (against a female), as well as the refusal to comply. The trespassing was amended to disturbing the peace, and Purify pled no contest to both that charge and the hinder/delay.

Asked about the incidents, Purify said, "That's just not my style." Braaten also pointed to Purify's lack of any previous legal problems.

"Those were two instances completely out of character," Braaten said. "He'll take steps to make sure they won't happen again."

NU receivers coach Ted Gilmore stood with Purify after his appearance. In lieu of further comment, Braaten released a four-paragraph statement from Purify.

"I apologize to my family, my friends, my teammates and to those who support Husker football," Purify said. "I especially want to express my apologies to Coach Callahan and the coaching staff because I know I let them down. I am extremely disappointed in myself.

"I am responsible for my actions. The choices I made that led to these circumstances were out of character for me. In each instance, I was under the influence of alcohol. I do not use that as an excuse, but I want to be honest. I am currently addressing this issue with professional help and guidance."

Purify was NU's second-leading receiver last season, with 34 catches for 630 yards and seven touchdowns. Several preseason magazines - printed before his arrests - listed the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder as an All-Big 12 candidate.

"I do not know if I will be fortunate enough to play another game at Nebraska," Purify said in his statement. "I hope that I can be afforded a second chance to do what I love to do - play football for Nebraska. If Coach Callahan decides that I will not be able to play again, I respect his decision and am grateful for the opportunity that he has given me."

Something tells me Cally will follow in the good Dr's footsteps and let the kid play with just a slap on the wrist (maybe he'll sit the first half of the season opener) because he came from a tough upbringing and needs the structure of football in his life.

He'll sit all of Ball St., unless they're behind at halftime.

They will make him sit out a quarter of the first game and then cally will say thats good enough and that he has served what is a "fair" punishment....bull****!

He'll sit all of Ball St., unless they're behind at halftime.

I agree - he'll be in the moment they fall behind against anyone in the non-conference schedule.

Anyone else finding themselves as a Wake Forest fan right about now? Really strange phenomenon...

I'm already calling it.....the first 2 1/2 games of the season. Mo will miss both Nevada, Wake Forest, and then the first half against USC. I think it should be for the whole non-conference schedule, but who knows??

this is my take.

he gets a parade through downtown lincoln (both blocks and they will move the cows for the day) for being able to overcome his "obsticles." the mayor will offer up his wife for some "company" for the night in his honor.

all games will be dedicated to him by his coaches. each coach will offer up thier wifes for some "company" for the night in his honor. especially Watsons. she is tired of booger kisses.

each away game will be promoted as the "Maurice, we love you! Get Better National Tour."

each kneebraska/lincoln police officer in attendance at any kNU game during MP's career will wear a "we ****ed up" T-Shirt.

July 19 will be proclaimed MP day in kneebraska. the gov will offer up his wife annualy to give company to MP along with the legistature.

he will still have to complete 5th grade math.

that will be his punishment. :cool:

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, we know the fuskers won't have to worry about getting altitude sickness from the "high road" they will take on this matter. More likely they are gonna need spelunking gear! :lol:

Anyone who knows CU fans knows that isnt a strange phenomenon at all :wow:

When it comes to kNU, you called me right. However, I do root for the CSEwe outside of the CU game (and when BVP is not your QB). Spent way too many drunk weekends on my buddies' couches in Fort Fun during college to not have a soft spot for them.

That's only 1/2 game more than I predicted. The holers consistently do nothing with their law breakers. Big shocker.

Back