What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Maybe the DS experience isn't so unusual.

dcbuffman

Interesting article on collegefootballnews.com:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/940369.html

Of the 28 five-star recruits from '06, Scout thinks that 12 lived up to the hype, 7 clearly didn't, and 9 fell somewhere in between. The 7 guys who were busts crashed and burned (injuries, academics, lack of production) as bad or worse than D. Scott.

As you'd expect, most of the '06 five-stars went to top programs. Fla., Michigan, LSU and Texas all have a bust or two. CU has plenty of company when it comes to failing to turn a five-star recruit into a star player. (And, of course, it's much harder to turn a guy into a star in a program in which most of the other players are three-star guys.)

Beasley wasn't so much a bust as just not as good as Scout thought. Plus he was passed by numerous other guys that are bound for the NFL, and probably as day 1 picks.

Eddie Jones hasn't been held back by inconsistency so much as injuries. He's had something like 8-10 surgeries in his football career.

Interesting article on collegefootballnews.com:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/940369.html

Of the 28 five-star recruits from '06, Scout thinks that 12 lived up to the hype, 7 clearly didn't, and 9 fell somewhere in between. The 7 guys who were busts crashed and burned (injuries, academics, lack of production) as bad or worse than D. Scott.

As you'd expect, most of the '06 five-stars went to top programs. Fla., Michigan, LSU and Texas all have a bust or two. CU has plenty of company when it comes to failing to turn a five-star recruit into a star player. (And, of course, it's much harder to turn a guy into a star in a program in which most of the other players are three-star guys.)

I don't label Darrell Scott a bust just yet. I would love to see him go to a school that runs the ball and see what he can do. At CU I don't think that DS got the opportunity that he should of received. When he got to play he showed some flashes of brilliance. The CU rushing attack is poorly designed and poorly executed, the QB woes have just exacerbated the running back problems. A bigger issue is the lack of development of 4 and 5 star players at CU.

2006 - No 4 or 5 stars
2007 - Ryan Miller 5 star, Has started but has not yet been dominant. (I am not convinced that Guard is his best spot).
Markques Simas - 4 Star, Only got on the field this year, was good at times - poor Qbing is part of the issue.
2008 - Ryan Deehan - 4 Star, Maybe too early to tell had his moments.
Bryce Givens - Starting but is having a weird career, one week he is on the team the next he is off. Plagued by penalties
Lynn Kaota - 4 Stars - academic and legal trouble - he is gone.
Jon Major - 4 stars - injured the first year but a lot like the DS issue. Saw him on the field a couple of times and his athletics and speed were very apparent but only played in half the games.
Shaun Molher - 4 Stars - Had a good 2008 season with almost 100 tackles (assisted and unassisted) but was on the field a lot less in 2009, in on only 30 tackles. Eligibility has been used up.
Ray Polk - 4 star - Played a lot at safety this year. Could be a star in the making - had his moments.
Darrell Scott - 5 star - talked about already.
Max Tuioti-Mariner - 4 star - Injuries have kept him from playing.

I won't talk about 2009 - too early but CU is defying the law of averages - more of these players should come in and be dominant, IMO.

Beasley wasn't so much a bust as just not as good as Scout thought. Plus he was passed by numerous other guys that are bound for the NFL, and probably as day 1 picks.

Eddie Jones hasn't been held back by inconsistency so much as injuries. He's had something like 8-10 surgeries in his football career.

I agree with your assessment here. Once Texas had to replace Aaron Ross they had some younger promising guys to try out who since eclipsed Beasley. He played a lot as an underclassman but plateaued in talent and was passed up in favor of youth. I had no idea Eddie was rated so highly but he was a solid contributor when healthy. Had Kindle stayed healthy and started since his freshman season we'd have seen him go pro after his junior year. The Akina/MacDuff failure regime at DC started the Arm Tackling Trio (Killebrew, Derry, Bobino) (tm) when Kindle, Rod Muckelroy and Jared Norton were all raw but promising sophomores and I think it hindered opportunities for their development.

I forget what Dan Buckner's recruiting credentials were but he has landed at Arizona. Possible Big 12 reunion with Scott coming to Tucson next?

At CU I don't think that DS got the opportunity that he should of received. When he got to play he showed some flashes of brilliance.

You and I were watching different guys I guess. I saw DS jump over a tackler in '08 but othewise saw nothing brilliant in his approximately 70-80 carries. He showed a penchant for missing the hole and absolutely no instincts whatsoever, imo of course. Playing him more than he played would have been nothing more than favoritism to keep him happy and I for one am damn happy that didn't happen. He wasn't the hardest worker or the best RB. Review the KU game film and you will be pissed he got the plays he got. I've had several guys do that and they were amazed.

I agree with you buffaholic. Other than a couple of plays, DS never really showed much as a RB.

As Hawk learned, and as comments posted on this site make clear, getting a 5-star guy in a 3.5-star program can be a headache. I can't believe that Hawk or others on the coaching staff thought DS was a better back than RS, but decided to play Speedy because he was a blue collar, lunch pail kind of guy. Much more likely is that Scott didn't learn the play book, didn't work very hard and didn't wow anyone in practice. Hawkins has his faults, to be sure, but I just can't believe that he just chose to sit a guy who would have been a star. Hawk's job was hanging by a thread after the CSU and Dayton debacles; if he thought DS could tear it up, DS would have been playing (lunch pail or no lunch pail).

dcbuffman i totaly disagree with you 100%,if you watched any of the game's ds played in you would have seen after a nice run he was put on the bench after the play was over and if you dont agree with what i just said i dont know what game you were watching and yes he missed a few holes but so did rs and he had tons of more playing time than ds did and your a fool if you think talkins plays hes best players alot of the peeps on this site will agree with me...and you mark my words wait and see when ds gets on the field and tear's it up i want you to go back to this post and you will see what a fool you are and you will wonder yourself what the hell was you watching and thinking about ds with that said have a good day!! go buffs

dcbuffman i totaly disagree with you 100%,if you watched any of the game's ds played in you would have seen after a nice run he was put on the bench after the play was over and if you dont agree with what i just said i dont know what game you were watching and yes he missed a few holes but so did rs and he had tons of more playing time than ds did and your a fool if you think talkins plays hes best players alot of the peeps on this site will agree with me...and you mark my words wait and see when ds gets on the field and tear's it up i want you to go back to this post and you will see what a fool you are and you will wonder yourself what the hell was you watching and thinking about ds with that said have a good day!! go buffs

Whoa buffsfan! Do you need to borrow some punctuation?

You and I were watching different guys I guess. I saw DS jump over a tackler in '08 but othewise saw nothing brilliant in his approximately 70-80 carries. He showed a penchant for missing the hole and absolutely no instincts whatsoever, imo of course. Playing him more than he played would have been nothing more than favoritism to keep him happy and I for one am damn happy that didn't happen. He wasn't the hardest worker or the best RB. Review the KU game film and you will be pissed he got the plays he got. I've had several guys do that and they were amazed.

Agree with this. In his first season I saw him hurdle one guy in one nice run against Eastern Washington, a team from the Big Sky conference. His best game of his career was against a Toledo team that ranked #81 nationally in rushing defense, where he had 12 carries for 85 yards. In this game I saw him get run down from behind by a linebacker from a MAC school. His career net rushing yardage is 438 yards. Now yes maybe he was injured during his time here and shouldn't have been playing. But I agree I find it hard to find that Hawkins, with his job on the line, wouldn't play his best running back (and alot more goes into being the best than just potential, such as pass blocking, receiving, knowledge of the playbook, etc.), and it appears Speedy was a better back than Scott. Also, it was reported that he showed up at CU overweight and out of shape.

I'm not bashing the kid. But I guarantee you he was always told he was the best, just go to school for three years, tear it up, and bolt to the NFL. I imagine he was always better than the other players around him through high school, get to a big D1 school, and suddenly that natural advantage fades and the work ethic has to kick in. Don't know if he ever learned that. This type of stuff happens at every program with 4* and 5* guys. I can name quite a few at Arkansas that ended up being major busts. It's unfortunate but a fact of life. I wish Scott the best of luck at Arizona, but from watching him here, I never witnessed anything that made me think he was worth the 5* billing.

Sounds like he aint going to Arizona. A CU coach leaves and goes to a school that is purportedly very interested in scott, then all of a sudden they are much less interested in Scotts services.

Draw your own conclusions.

Sounds like he aint going to Arizona. A CU coach leaves and goes to a school that is purportedly very interested in scott, then all of a sudden they are much less interested in Scotts services.

Draw your own conclusions.

Interesting. Didn't even make the connection.

Back