What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB: #24 Baylor Game Notes & Game Thread

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
GAME #16 vs. 22/24 Baylor Bears (13-1, 1-0 Big 12)
• Date: Tuesday, Jan. 12 • Tipoff: 7:07 p.m. (MST) • Television: FSN Rocky Mountain

• Announcers: Drew Goodman (p-b-p), Ceal Barry (analyst), Alanna Rizzo (sideline)

• CU Radio: KVCU 1190 AM: Mark Johnson (p-b-p), Charles Johnson (analyst); Sirius Channel 122

• Series vs. Baylor: CU leads 14-8 (at Boulder, 7-2; at Waco, 3-5; Neutral, 4-1). In Big 12 play, CU leads, 10-6, including a 5-1 edge with games played in Boulder.

QUICKLY: CU is 8-0 at home for the first time since the 1982-83 season. That season they began the home campaign 9-0 • This season marks only the third time in the Big 12 schedule (the others 1998-99 & 2006-07) that CU has opened conference play with back-to-back games against the south. The previous two years were a pair of losses each year to Texas and Oklahoma; and the third time opening against the 'Horns • For the first time in school history, CU opens the conference season against three nationally ranked opponents (at Texas, Baylor, Kansas State).

TEAM NOTES: CU is shooting 50 percent from the field in 17 of the 30 halves this year. CU tied a first-half best 61.5 percent at Texas • CU made 30 or more field goals in a game for the fourth time this season. That's the second-most since having five in the 2006-07 season • CU is 6-0 when four of the five starters net double-digits • CU is 7-2 when shooting over 50 percent from the field • CU has scored over 70 points in 11 of 15 games and are 8-3 in those games.

INDIVIDUAL NOTES: Alec Burks last five games lead CU in 17.6 ppg., 6.6 rpg., .844 FT%-all team highs. His .500 FG% (29-of-58) is second • Marcus Relphorde led CU in scoring for the second time with a team-high 24 points at Texas. He connected on a season-best eight field goals made • Nate Tomlinson led the team with six assists at Texas, the seventh time he has led CU in assists this season, and fifth time with six or more. He leads the team with 62 assists. Last year he had 51 assists after 15 games.

Baylor UPDATE: The Bears, ranked No. 22/24 nationally, are 13-1 on the season and 1-0 Big 12 play after dismantling Oklahoma in Waco last Saturday, 91-60. It was their first win over OU in Big 12 ever (1-26). Baylor is 3-0 on the road and their lone loss on the season came against Alabama (79-76) at the Old Spice Classic (Lake Buena Vista, Fla.). Baylor averages 79.6 points per game with a 19 points per game scoring margin over the opposition. Head Coach Scott Drew enters his seventh year in Waco (94-96, .495) and returns two starters from last year's 24-15 team the advanced to the N.I.T. final losing to Penn State, 69-63.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204867797

Baylor's got a very balanced team this year. Senior guard Tweety Carty 16.5 points and 6.9 assists, Junior guard LaceDarius Dunn averages 18.5 points, and Senior forward Ekpe Udoh averages 14.1 points and 11.3 rebounds. While Baylor's guards are on the short side (Tweety is 5'11" and Dunn is 6'4"), their front line is huge (Udoh is 6'10", Sophomore forward Athony Jones is also 6'10", and Senior center Josh Lomers is 7'0"). Keeping Baylor off the offensive glass will be a big key to this game. When we're on offense, getting Baylor's bigs defending in space on the perimeter (hopefully leading to foul trouble) will be key.

:gobuffs:

Last edited:
i'll be there. 1-1 in conference is a heckuva lot better than 0-2. Baylor is good but if one thing is true in the Big XII; homecourt means something.

I feel the Buffs will get one of the next two HOME games. Plus who knows, with a BIG win tonight you might just give yourself enough confidence to then come back and beat K-State on Saturday. Wouldn't that be something.

Fact is, the Buffs are long overdue. They have a good/better team this year with several good athletes on the roster - this is clearly the best team they've had in a while, since 2006 anyway, and I feel this team might be better, certainly better coached, than the '05-'06 team that finished 20-10.

The Buffs have not had a BIG-BIG win, period, since defeating Baylor in the Big 12 tourney March 13th, 2008.

And they've yet to win a BIG home game since defeating OU on Feb. 9th, 2008.

Case in point ... a BIG win is on the horizon, perhaps tonight. Maybe TWO this week.

Last edited:
A split of Baylor/KSU would be beneficial. Otherwise, I think we are staring at an 0-5 start to conference play.

Don't count out the two this week. I know it sounds impossible but we've seen it all.

This team is also a bit overdue to maybe take that next step and get not only A BIG WIN at home, but perhaps a couple, maybe in the same week. I also am not exactly SOLD 100% on K-State and/or Baylor. They're both good ball clubs w/good players, but I'm not sold quite yet.

This season the measuring stick is how well they play at home. So far so good. 4-4 at home in conference and I'll be happy, and it's possible. Very important to split the next two games.

Jody Bailey came down to the Buff Clubroom before the game. He was fired up. He said a friend asked him how we're going to deal with Baylor's tall front line. He was pretty much yelling, "They've got to guard us too." He made the point that they better not try to play their man defense. I'm pumped.

Buffalo up!!!

Down 27-32 at half.

#24 went on a shooting streak from 3 that killed us. That, and the refs called so few fouls on Baylor we were 2 fouls away from being in the 1-and-1 at the end of the half.

Feeling like we've got a great chance at this one tonight.

Up 61-54 with 3:41 to play. We're shooting double bonus next time they foul us. Awesome game so far.

Back