What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB Game Thread: Buffs visit Nebraska 1/18

This one stings, we had been playing so well!

No doubt that the Corn are a terrible match up for us - limited us to 22 pts in the paint and resulted in many forced jump shots. Tonight was one of those games where our lack of a talented/experienced floor general killed us -- Higgins and Burks were forced to dribble entirely too much. However, Levi Knutson was a bright spot yet again. His improvement is fantastic

Saturday's game in Norman is suddenly a big one. Yes, OU sucks (much more than Nebraska), but it's a road game in a place we *never* win. I'd hate to drop to 3-2 with Kansas up next...

Can't win them all. Time to regroup Buffs -- I know OU can be beaten on Saturday!!

A conference loss was inevitable. Lot's of good teams out there, and some so-so teams that will play really well at home.

It will be interesting to see how the team handles the 1st conf loss, and how Boyle deals with them before the next game. It will provide some good insight into the type/quality of the coach.

NU's defense reminded me of that Southern Illinois team from 2006-2007 that almost upset Kansas in the Sweet 16. Those guys were brutal.

My thoughts:

1. Our PG's are both turrrible. Neither are any threat to score at all on offense. Completely handicaps the offense with only 4 real threats on offense.
2. Dufault gets pushed around by anyone worth a damn
3. Alec Burks thinks he is MJ. He tries to do wayyy too much and is a terrible ball handler
4. Knutson is the only consistent scoring threat and even then he is mostly one dimensional. Burks absolutely disappears at some points
5. The starting lineup should be PG-Higgins SG-Knutson SF-Burks PF-Roberson C- Crapshoot
6. Relphorde has more turnovers than the Peppridge Farm Factory. So frustrating to watch:asskicking:

Last edited:
Well that was frustrating. At half it looked like the Buffs were set to roll through the game, play close and wait for inevitable late game FTs to pull away down the stretch. Unfortunately I think the team let that attitude get in their heads early in the second. After their recent strong second halves I think they just assumed that this one would proceed the same way, and before they knew it they were down by double digits. They might have been able to pull it out with a bit better ball control at the offensive end and by making the few FT attempts they did have.

Even so this may work out better down the road...a valuable lesson learned (hopefully), and probably less dismissable by the players than had they come out flat against OU following a win last night.

Time to regroup against OU.

Those results in Lincoln unfortunately support the views of everyone who was reluctant to rank CU after the Mizzou & KSU games.

I think Alec feels, sometimes, like he has to carry the team on his back and tries to do a bit do much, doesn't he?

bad match up, on the road, after three big wins; also assuming vegas had us as dog's in this one. if all that is true i am not too worried about the loss.

This one stings, we had been playing so well!

No doubt that the Corn are a terrible match up for us - limited us to 22 pts in the paint and resulted in many forced jump shots. Tonight was one of those games where our lack of a talented/experienced floor general killed us -- Higgins and Burks were forced to dribble entirely too much. However, Levi Knutson was a bright spot yet again. His improvement is fantastic

Saturday's game in Norman is suddenly a big one. Yes, OU sucks (much more than Nebraska), but it's a road game in a place we *never* win. I'd hate to drop to 3-2 with Kansas up next...

Can't win them all. Time to regroup Buffs -- I know OU can be beaten on Saturday!!

Yup, this now makes the OU game a big one, whereas if we had won last night this would be simply be a gravy game. And OU did win last night, albeit against a bad TT team.

Just look across the country at scores every night, going on the road in conference play is a minefield.

it is very tough to win on the road anywhere. Luckily we stole one from KSU already and if we can somehow win at Oklahoma and Tech we should be in good shape.

Was stuck elsewhere and had to miss this one, but just looking at the stats afterwards, if we only shoot 9 FTs, its going to be very very hard for us to win games the way we like to play.

Was stuck elsewhere and had to miss this one, but just looking at the stats afterwards, if we only shoot 9 FTs, its going to be very very hard for us to win games the way we like to play.

I think the free throw number is a good indicator of how we played. We were not agressive enough trying to take it at 'em. Way too much outside shooting. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Also, wow come it seems like every team we play has some 6'-10" 320 pounder inside? Geez.

They let the refs and NU get into their heads and lost composure. I know NU is big and tough on D, but we got completely out of our game and never recovered. Hopefully Tad takes this game and uses it as a learning experience for the team. There were a lot of lessons in that game to take and apply in future road games.

The Big 12 is a very, very solid basketball conference. Any team can beat any other team, especially at home. The OU and Tech games are not gimmes. CU needs to regroup and refocus. Nobody ever expected them to go undefeated in the conference. 10-6 is still very respectable and attainable and probably gets them into the big dance.

The Big 12 is a very, very solid basketball conference. Any team can beat any other team, especially at home. The OU and Tech games are not gimmes. CU needs to regroup and refocus. Nobody ever expected them to go undefeated in the conference. 10-6 is still very respectable and attainable and probably gets them into the big dance.

Totally agree, sack.

The Big 12 is very tough and Nebraska (this year) is a very competitive team. The collapsing defense they play is outstanding, they're well schooled, and could win 7 to 10 conference games themselves because of it.

CU needs a win at OU more than most people think. Although this team has played exceptionally well lately, they're still not as talented as others in the conference and probably still a little fragile. I think we all understand what I'm talking about.

They need the OU game because:
1.) The KU game is 50/50 and likely will be a tough loss, as history suggests.
I would love to see a win over KU and I feel this team can do it. I'll be there. But KU under Self is extremely tough to beat. They've got a ridiculous W-L record in games decided by 2 pts. or less, and in games decided in OT.

2.) In their next four games they've got road games @ BU & @ MU, and they play a red-hot Tex A&M at home, not easy games. The ISU game won't be easy either.

CU could easily lose 5 of their next 6 games, if not all 6 games. They need another BIG win, this one on the road at a crucial time, to pick themselves right back up.

OU is as close to a "must win" as there can be this early in the season.

I'm not trying to be negative. I just really want this season to work out. However, I also realize, especially after a tough hard-nosed loss, how quickly a 3-0 start can unravel into being 4-5 or 3-6 in this conference.

There used to be (5+ yrs ago) gaps in the schedule, where you could get a pick me up win against a Baylor, K-State, or Texas A&M. Obviously that's no longer the case. Everyone is rough, and although CU plays OU and Tex Tech, they're both on the road.

OU is as close to a "must win" as there can be this early in the season.

:nod: If there is such a thing as 'low hanging fruit,' in the Big 12 it's Saturday's game. CSU and Indiana were probably must win games just because of the losses that happened before those two games.

Back