What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB: @ Texas Game Notes & Game Thread

5-6 wins is about where i'm at, too. i think we beat OU at the CEC. they are eminently beatable thus far.

edit: supposed to be a response to coreg's predictions above.

FYI:

Oregon State went to the CBI with a record of 13-17 last year (and ended up winning the thing to get over .500).

For the Big 12 Tournament, the top 4 seeds get byes. Therefore, we definitely miss Texas and Kansas in the 1st round. So we would have a decent chance at pulling an upset win.

Thanks Haas!!

I understand this- I've been to the tournament for 10 of the last 11 years. What I meant is that I believe there's potential for CU to win a Conf. Tourney Game against almost anyone, given the ONE game - win or go home scenario, accept for KU (this programs NEMESIS).

Yep you're right Buffnik. There have been 5 teams (Cinci, Virginia, & Wash in '08 - Oreg. St. & St. John's in '09), after several teams turned down the initial invite mind you, that have made the CBI field with somewhat similar if not worse records than what is being predicted for CU this season. I stand corrected.

So again, there's much competition. Is there a chance that several teams could back out again, and CU (that is if they finish w/14 to 15 wins, 5 to 6 in conference) could backdoor their way into the CBI, Yes.

Last edited:
If anyone would've told me (before today) that CU would score more than 80 on tejass, I wudda called 'em an idot. And the team kept it under 20 in the loss? I'm actually pretty amazed at that result.

Yes, they have some deficiencies - particularly in the lane. But it's evident that they didn't back down against one of the nation's elite teams. I hope they gain something from today.

If anyone would've told me (before today) that CU would score more than 80 on tejass, I wudda called 'em an idot. And the team kept it under 20 in the loss? I'm actually pretty amazed at that result.

Yes, they have some deficiencies - particularly in the lane. But it's evident that they didn't back down against one of the nation's elite teams. I hope they gain something from today.

Really good post. It's easy to overlook the progress that the team has made in a short amount of time. It's actually pretty exciting to look around at ALL of the talent that this team has. It might be the best collection of young talent that we've had here in a long time, perhaps EVER.

I mean when you consider Burks, and Higgins, and Hornbuckle, along with Dufault, and Ralphorde, and Harris-Tunks, and Eckloff for added backup size. You then team them w/Dwight Thorne, a nice senior player w/experience, and then just think that we have a player the caliber of Shannon Sharpe sitting on the bench waiting to fulfill his coll. career.

This team is good, better than what were seeing in the results column. And I feel that with some added size and strength in the post over the next 2 recruiting classes, they have a chance to be something special.

Last edited:
What are the chances of, one, getting a big from over seas and, two, that Tunks will gain strength and ability?

IMO:

50/50 on #1 (but we'll get 2 or 3 more bigs from somewhere)
95% on #2. Shane's got speed, works hard, is a good athlete and is already ahead of where Bz thought he'd be.

What are the chances of, one, getting a big from over seas and, two, that Tunks will gain strength and ability?

A number of our players look bigger and stronger this year, so I think this guy will will blossom next year. He needs the additional size and strength, and when that happens.....

Well you can see that H-T has some raw talent. He's a decent shooter, moves very well for a BIG, can pass and IMO, aside from the freshman mistakes, he'll play a smart brand of basketball.

He'll certainly get bigger, stronger, and with the coaching, he'll improve his game. But my question is does he have the tenacity to get after boards at this level of coll. basketball? My initial look at this player tells me NO. Not to the level that CU needs anyway.

He may block some shots down-low, and perhaps grab 4 to 5 rebounds over the course of 15 minutes. But CU needs a rim rocker, someone that can really battle on the glass. An athletic BIG who's sole purpose is to be nasty in the lane.

IMO:

50/50 on #1 (but we'll get 2 or 3 more bigs from somewhere)
95% on #2. Shane's got speed, works hard, is a good athlete and is already ahead of where Bz thought he'd be.

Agreed ...

The BIGS are a MUST, there's no looking past that.

I too believe that Shane is ahead of what we all though he'd be. He'll be a nice player the next three years, if he stays healthy.

Back