1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media coverage

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by DBT, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Man, this game is getting crap coverage locally. They spent all day yesterday, all of 'em, talking about the Flacco banner. Give me a break. So here is the topic for discussion in light of crappy local coverage of CU and the reason for my angst:

I flipped on Evans (I know) this morning and he and the other douche were talking about how CU can never be an elite program again. They got lucky in the late 80's/early 90's. The best they can hope for is to be top 25 and, occasionally, luck into the top 10 and a nice bowl. I wanted to reach in the radio and pull his throat out because I do not buy any of that crap. I think CU CAN be a perennial power if they will commit to doing what it takes (facilities, salaries, admissions, etc.).

2. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I don't think we can as long as this ****bag is still in charge:

pds.jpg

3. DBT

Oh, and one more thing: I am beginning to resent the Bronco's just based on their "over hype" in the media. Newspaper, TV, radio, all they talk about are the damned Bronco's. Every station, radio and TV, and paper could not get enough of the Flacco poster thing. Give me a damned break.

4. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

CU can absolutely be Elite again. Much easier for us to get back to that level than if we had never reached it. Boulder sells itself, so once we have something good enough to draw top talent to visit, I think we will see this team rise up again. A 2 win season this year and competitiveness in the remaining 10 games I think will show the mid level prospects that things are turning here. If we can get to 4, I think we catch some national attention that the program is not dead in Boulder. I think MikeMac would then have some firepower to use in living rooms. If we can someone miraculously get to 6 and receive a bowl invite, look out.

The CU fanbase and I think to an even greater extent, local college sports fan's are hungry for a college team they can get behind. If you see the explosion in support for the basketball team, it is clear that with a winner the support will come. DBT, I hear you about the Bronco Fanaticism in the media, but this place has always been 1st and foremost bronco country. I do think that if we can show signs of life though, that we can fill that missing niche in the Colorado sports world.

5. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

When a team is expected to make it to the Super Bowl, that team will get more media hype than usual.

Given the state of football in this state, it's a welcome thing.

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Going to be tough to compete with the money brokers in the Pac-12 just like it was difficult to do so in the Big-12.

Just as CU had difficulty competing in the arms race with OU, Texas, Texas A&M, etc. the Buffs will struggle to compete with Oregon, Washington, Cal, etc.

7. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

You're just catching onto that?

8. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think with some organization and better articulation of their vision (like a website with renderings, 3d models, video flyovers, budget goals, donation incentives, etc) the AD can squeeze quite a bit more money from its fan/alumni than Washington or Cal. It would help to have a Phil Knight but they don't exist within the CU family.

9. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

CU will never get much respect in the media in Denver as long as everyone in the media in Denver comes from back east.

As for CU's competitiveness, it's going to depend on fund-raising and donors. The population explosion in the state can help, as long as the kids can be convinced to stay in-state, which goes back to fund-raising and donors. More than anything though, a program in a place like CU has to be built. CU will never have a Bob Stoops walk in and win a national title in 2 years. But a gradual building up of the program can absolutely happen. Winning begets winning, recruits will come, donations will come, and CU can become a good program.

10. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

In agreement with above and you DBT... I think CU can totally be elite like once before... just need the administration to dedicate the resources. Yea pretty tired of the Bronco thing here also. I really feel like they are overrated again this year. Don't beat me up, but I will be surprised if they get past the first round of the playoffs.

11. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

Agreed! CU can be a perennial power! By definition of the conference they are in and the impact of the campus on would be players. Location Location Location! Add in history and tradition. However, you are also correct per facilities and a sundry of other challenges. I believe that the coaching and AD piece have likely been solved. We have been on the rocks before and made a helluva comeback. It can be done!

12. SD Buff

SD Buff Club Member Club Member

Coming to CU as a Charger fan, I hated the Donkeys to start with. But after 4 years in Boulder, that hate grew significantly b/w the media and all the obnoxious Donks. :smile:

13. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I wouldn't want to cover this game either. There is only one team in the game that anyone cares about in this state and it is coming off its worst season ever and probably one of the worst seasons ever in history of college football.

14. DBT

Then I had to go and read Kiszla's article. :sad2: If you haven't, he is pretty much saying Wood sucks and we need to make Liufau the starter. Listen, I LOVE Liufau. I have great hope for him. But this is just another example of a local media hack pulling crap out of his ass. Kiszla has no credibility suggesting anything on how MacIntyre should run this team. I don't think he even knows Connor Wood's name, much less that he was a highly rated kid coming out of high school. More highly rated then Sefo.

15. BUFFSROCKS

BUFFSROCKS Club Member Club Member

Kiszla hates CU, always has always will, never gives them any credit...not sure why he even writes about them. Dbag.

16. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I'm actually glad they aren't covering the game that much this week. In previous years they make a half hearted attempt to cover the game, and basically expose themselves for their lack of knowledge on the programs. You hear the same regurgitated "this is good for the state" and "the game belongs in Denver" crap. It is enough to make you want to change the station even though we are getting that rare coverage that we usually crave.

17. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

If it can be done once it can be done again.

18. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

I don't expect anything different from the media given the state of the program. You've got potential superbowl contenders in the donkey and you have a game with two teams that had a total of 11 wins over the last two seasons between them. If we give fans something to cheer about and look forward to over the next couple seasons, then the media will start to provide better coverage. Until then, we take a backseat of the bronco bandwagon.

19. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Henderson has a front page article in the Post today about the game. The Lammie fans are trolling around the comments, downvoting anyone who suggest the game should go the way of the do-do bird

20. Germinator

Germinator New Member

If I hear one more asshole on the news or from Fort Collins argue about how the game being in Denver is good for the state I'm gonna lose my cool. The game blows ass in Denver and the csu people don't even show up.

21. JJBuff

JJBuff Club Member Club Member

To be accurate, they don't show up to games in Fort Fun either.

22. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

One could argue that they prefer the game in Denver based on attendance.

23. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

less coverage, the better. I want this game gone.

24. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Sad. It's so different here. College football is all the talk on the radio. Hours after hours. There might be a brief update every time RGIII urinates, but it quickly goes back to college football.

25. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Why would anyone read anything ****la writes? Me thinks ****la is the inbred brother of former eee s pee in B12 beatwriter Tim Griffin.

26. DBT

Who would you prefer the opening game to be against? Southeast Louisiana Tech?

27. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Nebraska.

28. DBT

The first game?

29. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Aren't there a load of NAIA teams in Colorado? Surely one of them would have been available.

30. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

It's not so bad in Colorado. If CU was any good, they'd get some coverage. People are picking Stanford to win the national championship and there is no coverage in the local newspapers here.