What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Meet Joe Tumpkin, our new secondary coach

Wonder how they connected.

Coach MM said at the Luncheon, while pondering the defensive asst. coaching hire, and having multiple conversations with coach Tumpkin, Dave Wannstedt called him and gave a huge positive recommendation of his knowledge and effort. Enthusiasm. Tumpkin is all go, no half effort ever! Arrived just yesterday... basically bags packed..... Was in the weight room this morning with his players at 5:58.

I think both of these coaching hires are really solid choices. Solid developments for returning this program to respectability.

Last edited:
Coach MM said at the Luncheon, while pondering the LB coaching hire, and having multiple conversations with coach Tumpkin, Dave Wannstedt called him and gave a huge positive recommendation of his knowledge and effort. Enthusiasm. Tumpkin is all go, no half effort ever! Arrived just yesterday... basically bags packed..... Was in the weight room this morning with his players at 5:58.

I think both of these coaching hires are really solid choices. Solid developments for returning this program to respectability.
Great way to set the tone.

Coach MM said at the Luncheon, while pondering the defensive asst. coaching hire, and having multiple conversations with coach Tumpkin, Dave Wannstedt called him and gave a huge positive recommendation of his knowledge and effort. Enthusiasm. Tumpkin is all go, no half effort ever! Arrived just yesterday... basically bags packed..... Was in the weight room this morning with his players at 5:58.

Awesome example to set.

Not that big of a deal to me as a pretty un-educated Buff football fan, but for accuracy's sake it sounds like (unless RG is as giddy as us and is having a tough twitter day) that Coach Tumpkin will be coaching safeties? (The beginning of the orig. post of this thread makes it sound to me like Coach Clark is coaching them?)

[tweet]563448872932880384[/tweet]

Great job Mac!!

Upgrade on both fronts!

1309.gif

I went to school with Todd... We hung out before he got Big time in Little Giants haha

I can't get the DiNiro character in "King of Comedy" out of my mind. Not meant as a dis. Just the name similarity. Rupert Pupkin.

Between this guy and Leavitt, I think we definitely upgraded the confidence and personality of the coaching staff

[video=youtube;pOUFw1ESai4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOUFw1ESai4[/video]

I'm pretty intrigued about this hire. His position has clearly been linebackers, only had one season some time ago in the secondary. I wonder if it is specific schematic experience on the 4-2-5 he brought in as DC in 2012? Otherwise there are plenty of guys with deep secondary position coaching experience, and western recruiting experience.
Of course, more likely just the simple explanation Mac just thought he's a great defensive coach and fits with the staff, but it seems a little curious.

I'm pretty intrigued about this hire. His position has clearly been linebackers, only had one season some time ago in the secondary. I wonder if it is specific schematic experience on the 4-2-5 he brought in as DC in 2012? Otherwise there are plenty of guys with deep secondary position coaching experience, and western recruiting experience.
Of course, more likely just the simple explanation Mac just thought he's a great defensive coach and fits with the staff, but it seems a little curious.

I think LB play is similar to safety play, and especially with how offenses are being run these days it is always smart to have as many tacklers as you can on the field. The issue is that they need to be smaller and faster to compete with the spread offense which necessitates more nickel backs and DBs on the field. I fully support bringing in a LB coach to set up our own Legion of Boom. I think our secondary is really lacking in physicality.

Plus with HCMMs experience with the secondary he will be able to supplement Tumpkin's knowledge with more specific DB technique.

I think LB play is similar to safety play, and especially with how offenses are being run these days it is always smart to have as many tacklers as you can on the field. The issue is that they need to be smaller and faster to compete with the spread offense which necessitates more nickel backs and DBs on the field. I fully support bringing in a LB coach to set up our own Legion of Boom. I think our secondary is really lacking in physicality.

Plus with HCMMs experience with the secondary he will be able to supplement Tumpkin's knowledge with more specific DB technique.

Interesting thought.

Put a line backer coach on the DB's and teach them how to hit and read, have Mac teach them how to be DB's. I am very interested in watching how this group does this year. We have some big time players back in the secondary.

just remembered? Isn't Central Michigan (Coach Tumpkin) - the bowl game with that crazy come from behind with last second win??

The guy built Central Michigan's defense to 29th in the country. Of course, they are in the Big East. But I think there is more to this guy than position coach. And I wouldn't doubt if there were some hints that if Leavitt can parlay this into an HC job that he will be being groomed for the DC position. I wouldn't doubt that at all.

The guy built Central Michigan's defense to 29th in the country. Of course, they are in the Big East. But I think there is more to this guy than position coach. And I wouldn't doubt if there were some hints that if Leavitt can parlay this into an HC job that he will be being groomed for the DC position. I wouldn't doubt that at all.
CMU is in the MAC

Back