1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet the new Dan and Cody Hawkins .

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by LongHaulBuff, Mar 24, 2010.

1. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Wow. I remember him running around Folsom when he was a little guy. Time flies. Good luck to him. I'm sure he's a good kid.

3. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Poor kid looks like his dad.

4. LABuffalo

LABuffalo Member

6'0"
    180 lbs.
    Dad is a weasel

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I'm gonna grab some popcorn this is going to be fun.

6. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Difference is that the Weasel doesn't care about anything but winning. He doesn't care about the rules, he doesn't care about who he works for, and you can be pretty sure that he isn't going to let some little thing like his own kid get in the way of his winning.

Hawk went the other way, he is so blinded by his loyalty to his son that he can't see how it is hurting his chance to win.

As much as I dislike the Weasel, this is not going to be an issue (except for maybe with his kid and his wife) because Slick would sell his grandmother for a win.

7. dply

Actually I could see Rick having his son dress up like him and Rick slipping on the old powder blue uni.

8. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

This kid must go down, and he must go down hard

9. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

[​IMG]l :thumbsup:[​IMG]

These things so rarely turn out well, why do father/son combos not learn from others' experiences?

10. dply

I really hate making fun of the kid but I've never seen a blonde with a uni-brow before.

11. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I've got no love for dad. But we are talking about a 17 year old kid here. I think we can show some restraint. :smile2:

12. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Yep, there is precedence with Mullen's own Clint Brewster. He verballed to Illinois, because his father went there. Then dad got the head job at Minnesota, and he ditched Illinois on signing day to sign with Minny. Unfortunately for Clint, dad already had a 5-star QB signed in the same class. So Clint spiraled out of the Minny program and ended up at a D-II school. Sad.

13. The Guest

The Guest Guest

How did Rick's kid avoid getting cast as a villain in the Harry Potter movie series?

14. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Dad is a weasel, but he's much smarter than Talkins. Kid will probably get a free ride, but starting him just because he's baby - only our coach is that f---ing stupid. Forget it.

15. AlferdJasper

Free ride?
    It can't be the money that encourages dads to do this -- they are paid enough to afford a college education and --- I do believe -- university employees get some kind of discount if their kids attend the school where they work.

Giving a scholly to your kid takes one away from another kid who can contribute. Therefore, makes no sense. EVEN if your kid was the second coming of Mark Sanchez or John Elway, why not let him walk on and use the extra scholarship on someone else who can contribute?

16. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Neuheisel won 33 games from 1995-98. Say what you want about him - he's a winninig football coach. He left behind a ton of talent when he went to Washington. GB won the Big 12 title with his recruits. If his son can't contribute he will never see the playing field. This ain't
    the Hawkins show. Slick can recruit with the best, he isn't going to waste a scholarship - even on his own son. I'd say the kid could probably sign with another Pac 10 team if he wanted. Best of luck to him.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  17. Buffnik

Point of Order. Rick did promise Katie Hnida a spot on the team as a publicity stunt. Admittedly, no scholarship. But let's not pretend the Weasel wouldn't hesitate to give his son a scholarship for no other reason than the extra local and national press they'll get on the father-son angle.

18. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Maybe it is wrong, but there would be something poetic about Tricky Ricky's kid signing on with ucla while he was the coach. I'l be chuckling if it happens. One thing I don't get,most big BCS CFB coaches are making $1M+, wouldn't it get a lot of goodwill if you let your kid walk on and give the scholly to another player that would help your team?

19. Buffnik

And a lot of universities back east offer free education for children of university employees. I don't think the NCAA allows what you're suggesting, though. I asked about it myself and there's something in the rules about them counting against your scholarship numbers if they have scholarship offers elsewhere or something.

20. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I'm saying if you are making $1M+, you can afford your kid's tuition and let him walk on. You effectively buy another scholly, assuming your kid actually merits a scholly. Plus you don't look like you are milking your employer by using your postion to get your kid's tuition paid for as additional compensation to you.

21. Buffnik

I know what you're saying. I said the same thing on another board (Rivals, I think). And apparently it's not allowed. You do that, the NCAA counts it as a scholarship anyway.

22. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Thank you. I had been trying to figure out how Skippy could get UCLA in NCAA hot water over recruiting his own kid. Now I know.... :cool:

23. AlferdJasper

That's what I was saying, more or less. Why give the kid a scholly?

So let his kid play, but why take up a scholly --- when a kid who might need it to get an education would have the opportunity otherwise?

This is going to bug me, I'll have to look up the NCAA ruling on it. Just doesn't seem right.

24. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

That had to be the biggest publicity stunt pulled off by the CU football program. GB should have cut her the very next year. He shares the blame too, he didn't have to keep her around. That father-son angle can come back to haunt a coach. I live between KSU, KU, and MU fans. As soon as they find out I'm a CU fan, their first question is "why does Hawkins always play his son, he's no good"?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  25. navybuff

navybuff Member

One more of the "Great Mullen Disappearing Acts".