1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Porter commits to Washington

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Recruiting Central' started by Buffnik, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

How does Romar keep doing this when he hasn't made the Dance since 2011?

Makes me think that a lot of guys don't care about winning and are more interested in a quick jump to the NBA. Probably not a coincidence that Romar's on-court results have gotten so much worse as his recruiting got so much better on paper.

2. Buffnik

Jeremy and Lunar23 like this.
  3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Does this staff ooze charisma or has a booster stepped up?

4. Hoops Fan

Hoops Fan Club Member Club Member

Romar's demeanor is steady and he is respected by many who know basketball (like Tad Boyle) for his integrity and coaching skills. From the way he deports himself, win or lose, in the limited time that I have seen him at CU and on TV, he strikes me a coach who is even keeled and has great relationships with his players. Their parents are obviously happy to plan their son in his hands. I think that it is not about charisma or money ... just a guy who does it the right way.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Romar is Porter Jr's Godfather. It was a lock.

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Ha! A new recruiting tactic! Just become a star player's god father.

7. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Oh , and sign that star player's father as your new assistant, ala Danny Manning at KU!

8. HawaiiBUFF

HawaiiBUFF Well-Known Member

Definitely had the connection between his family and Romar. It's interesting to me, that as pointed out before, Washington has been on the outside looking in with March Madness in recent years and still is pulling in the talent that they do. Also, let me note, I understand how passionate, or was passionate, I am not sure the fan base is (or was). They also have a solid history as a foundation. With all that being said, I still think Tad with his success in Boulder, new facilities and amazing school would be able to land high profile recruits as well. I am not saying all 5 star guys, though I wouldn't complain, no I am simply saying guys that we let slip through the cracks. Let's not forget were in the Top-3 and sometimes 2 of Hield, Cousins, Bird, Matthews etc. There's many more I am forgetting. Hopefully Boyle can start closing the deal on guys like this.

9. BuffinCali

BuffinCali Well-Known Member

Romar is a very good recruiter. I have two friends who son's were recruited by Romar. He always make a family connection, tying himself to the family in some sort of 6 degrees of separation at the very least. In one case, he found out where the family went to church before meeting with them. Then went to the church and met with the pastor. Once he had forged a friendship, he scheduled his visit and keyed on the same relationship they have with the pastor and how they were all family. A very good salesman. This year, he hired a recruit's father and Porter had forged a link with the other top player they signed. No surprise that they both committed. Romar does his homework.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Which Cousins was that?

11. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

FIFY! Whose church will Romar join next year in pursuit of his 7th year w/o going to the Dance?
    So "homework" now consists of hiring a recruit's dad as an assistant? WOW!
    All coaches should now do such "homework". Especially if they cant make the Dance.

12. Buffnik

There's a younger brother who will commit, too. So Romar, even with them likely to leave after a year or two if they're really good, is getting a lot of bang for this buck.

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Word down here is that another highly sought after recruit, Tre Young (iirc), has Udub in his top 6. Reason? He and Porter were aau teammates.

Young attends Norman North hs. Apparently his faves right now are Dook, kantuckey, kanzazz, the land thieves, okie lite, and udub.

14. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Anybody else think "5 forces" when this thread pops up?