1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mickey Mouse offense = JUNK

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Lt.Col.FrankSlade, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I realize the defense played like crap, but this offense is a forking joke.

We recruit three of the best RB's in the country and the coach's kid is winging the ball every down?? Weak.

2. HuskerHater

HuskerHater Club Member Club Member

I agree. There is no point in recruiting the best backs in the country if you aren't going to utilize them correctly.

3. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Point taken, especially in the first half. But our running game was getting nowhere but 2nd and 10+ in the second half. Our oline was getting beat. bad.

I wish i could have seen the game, I'm curious if they were keeping a extra safety in the box and we were trying to exploit deeper routes.

4. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

CU threw it 38 and ran it 33... you'd like to see those numbers switched, but it's really not that big of a disparity.

Like it or not, the days of '3 yards and a cloud of dust' are long gone. In 10 years i bet you'll see every team running some version of the spread.

5. HuskerHater

HuskerHater Club Member Club Member

It seems like it is headed that way now, but in 10 years some Defensive Coordinator will have figured out how to stop it and someone else will have come up with the "new" unstoppable offense.

6. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I've always preferred a run-oriented, ball-control offense, but that's just not Hawk's game.

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the numbers of 38 run / 33 pass -- but there are two problems.

#1-- our QB is ZERO threat to run the ball. Good spread teams the QB can run.

#2-- our passing game is average at best. If not for Scotty McKnight our passing game would be garbage.

#3-- need to quit the musical chairs with the OL.

#4-- I'm not convinced we're going to be able to run the ball effectively out of this offense.

8. SanDiegoBuff

#1--That's one big problem... Cody isn't a spread QB and he's not a pocket QB. He's also not showing HUGE improvement over last year. I would be surprised if he doesn't get beat out for the job next year.... or even late this year.

#2 & #3 are related. I'm sick of saying 'there are a bunch of freshmen on the OL, they'll get better'. Lines need the cohesiveness of playing together to be good. Hopefully they get this settled before B12 play and things will come around.

#4-- Actually that's related to 2 & 3 too. With the current state of the OL, it really isn't going to matter what formation CU runs out of.

Without the turnovers and the penalties... especially the turnovers, this would have been a much different game. The offense will run a lot smoother if they can get the discipline down. and that's related to 2 & 3 too.

9. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

me thinks you need to be just a little more patient when it comes to #3. this line is awfully young. fact is, imo, its just going to take some time to make all of the pieces fit. one thing that will help, is that if players who were supposed to be starters dont go out and act a fool and get thier asses suspended.

that will go a hell of a long way to help the o-line. to quote sacky...."just say'in." :huh:

10. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

It is what it is, the offense du joir in the ncaa. Let's not forget that this is our first year wielding the ladel. I would like to think that things will get better as the year goes on. If that doesn't happen, then modify it or scrap it for something that takes advantage of your personnel.

11. SanDiegoBuff

This is true, it's just gettin old... we said it two years ago and we said it last year. Of course, we've got two more freshmen in there now this year too. I really don't think we're going to see this line do what it can do until next year.

12. BuckinFuffs

BuckinFuffs Active Member

patience patience patience...

Callahan wasn't successful when he implemented his version of the West Coast until.... uh... bad example... scratch that

the offense needs to work together and get the timing and execution down NO MATTER which offense they run. they need a couple of 'go to' plays - right now they just have 'don't go to plays'. they couldn't run the simplest running play right now. They are not executing as a unit and therefore are getting destroyed upfront, and then in the backfield.

they need to get one aspect of the O going to set up the other. Right now we have NADA and the other teams are feasting on our incompetence.

they are good coaches and players. they will figure this out.

the more we bitch the more we sound like the corncobs in that state that borders us to the northeast...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  13. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

If your O-line isn't giving the qb time its hard to say the passing game is garbage. Devin Head caused the musical chairs at guard this week; what was Hawk supposed to do? And the o-line simply got beat at the point of attack; that has nothing to do with scheme or play-calling or anything else, the line just had a horrible day. But hey, maybe we should have ran the ball for losses so we don't "waste" Darrell Scott, right? Especially when we were down 21-7 at the half?

14. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Uhhh.

Rodney Stewart was one of the best? At 2 stars?

And Ray Polk is Red Shirting.

K Thx Bai.

15. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

I agree but forget it, they want you to praise everything and they don't want to hear any negative comments. Everything is a-okay. I'd take maiva over head anyday. Behrens,bahr and daniels are better than maiva....right.

16. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Seeing how Head didn't play today, you are barking up the wrong tree.

17. buffsyko

Head played vs csu, you peed on the wrong fire hydrant.

18. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Team Rushing against CSU: 153 with 4.3 yards per rush

Team rushing against EWU: 90 yards with 2.7 yards per rush.

Difference much?

Cheers.

19. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I don't think we have the oline yet to make a damn hole for a RB. And forget throwing it to ease up the staking of the box; we don't give Cody time to throw the deep balls to make a difference.

20. buffsyko

Yeah big difference,very big.:thumbsup:

21. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

What worries me is that I thought Head was the least impressive starting OL against the Lammies. Which makes it hard for me to blame todays debacle on his suspension. :huh:

22. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Just look at the difference of stats between this and last week. It tells a story. Somewhat. :huh:

23. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Yeah. EWU would hammer the dog**** out of CSU. That's about all I can tell that you know for sure.

24. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Dunno about hammer but it'd be about what we did. Our run game was better against CSU, when we had Head. That was my point.

25. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

I disagree with that. You're just assuming that since offenses have evolved in the past, so therefore they will continue to evolve. The basis of the spread is here to stay, i.e. spread the field and attack the weak spot, hole. There will always be variations as to how teams spread the field, but the concept, I believe, is here to stay.