What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Midnight Madness?

Midnight Madness?

• Yes. Give me basketball

Votes: 57 82.6%
  • No. I am too old and that is too late

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • I really like to answer questions

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters

Shldr2Shldr

Club Member
Club Member
Brought up in the daily camera article.

Tad said if they have the fan support, he would be up for it. I am just wondering how many of the folks here would be interested in that kind of thing? I think we are all longing for basketball, and I think a practice like that could really set the tone this year for the fan base.

There is zero doubt that I'd be there for midnight madness.

Are there enough people to fill the Keg, though?

Offer free admission. Sell concessions and gear to minimize the $ loss of operating the event. If they haven't begun practices and can be there, invite the former (now pro) players to make a cameo appearance.

okay here is what they need to do:

1) FREE admission, but have full concession there and have a donations that go for a specific purpose, say $5 or $10 suggestion donation that goes for something basketball related.

2) Let people sit anywhere

3) Have contests throughout the night. How about a free throw contest versus a player. If you win you get courtside tickets for a game. They can give away a few sets of season tickets/game tickets throughout the night

4) Bring back as many marquee players as can make it. Billups, Burks, Higgins, etc. Try to get them all there. A game of current buffs versus former buffs would be awesome.

5) Kinda of a DUH thing, but I know that it is called midnight madness, but start the events no later 8PM. 6PM might be even better

6) have a dunk contest, 3 point contest and a scrimmage. How about a freshman versus veterans scrimmage? They can have a 20 minute scrimmage and even another with veterans there.

Absolutely I'd be in (obviously)... would love to see free admission, but maybe a huge raffle of CU gear and merchandise that people could bid on to help get some proceeds. Some dinners with Boyle, a meet and greet with the team, autographs for the kids (is that a violation?)... could be awesome.

Was the last time we had an ACTUAL Midnight Madness back in 1994? Have we had one since then? I remember that one because I got the Powerbar Midnight Madness t-shirt signed by Slick Rick (the event happened like a week after he was named HC), but I can't recall if we've had one since then.

Absolutely I'd be in (obviously)... would love to see free admission, but maybe a huge raffle of CU gear and merchandise that people could bid on to help get some proceeds. Some dinners with Boyle, a meet and greet with the team, autographs for the kids (is that a violation?)... could be awesome.

They have signings near the end of the season for fans so I think its ok, the violation comes in when you either pay the athlete for the autograph ahead of time or they receive kickbacks if you sell the autograph

If you´re on Twitter, join in on the fun under the hashtag #CUMidnightMadness and/or @ mention @cubuffsmbb to let them know what we want.

If you´re on Twitter, join in on the fun under the hashtag #CUMidnightMadness and/or @ mention @cubuffsmbb to let them know what we want.

Tweeted my 2 cents with that hashtag...even though I would not be able to go, I definitely think that Midnight Madness needs to happen this season for sure!

Okay Tante, I'm a bit flattered that you echoed some things I mentioned, but I have to call you out on one point.

I believe the basis for the midnight madness is that there is a set date where a d1 team can begin practices. Some teams have successfully capitalized on this by having a public (fun) practice at the stroke of midnight on the first eligible date.

I'm sure they (CU AC) would open the arena and let the fans in early, and maybe even have some small, fun events for them, but the team couldn't start anything before the clock strikes 12.

They should make attendance at the Midnight Madness part of the qualification for the C-Unit trip to Vegas. Have to think that would help ensure pretty good student attendance.

Open the doors at 10, have concessions available, some raffles for gear/prizes maybe some talks by some former players? Chauncey, Alec, Cory, anybody really. Open up at 12 with a dunk contest followed by a scrimmage

Okay Tante, I'm a bit flattered that you echoed some things I mentioned, but I have to call you out on one point.

I believe the basis for the midnight madness is that there is a set date where a d1 team can begin practices. Some teams have successfully capitalized on this by having a public (fun) practice at the stroke of midnight on the first eligible date.

I'm sure they (CU AC) would open the arena and let the fans in early, and maybe even have some small, fun events for them, but the team couldn't start anything before the clock strikes 12.

Just googled this and couldn't work out any better.

Here is the rule:

12am on the Saturday closest to October 15th is when this can happen. This year that means that date is Friday night October 12/Saturday morning October 13th. CU has the Thursday night game against ASU on the 11th. Out of town fans will already be in town for a long weekend for the Thursday ASU game, CU could have the opportunity to make this special. Thursday night football game (one of our better chances for a W) follow it up on Friday night with midnight madness, if this is marketed and organized properly it could be dynamite.

sorry I missed your post, but I looked at a lot of other schools and I actually couldn't find on that started at midnight. If you look at the ESPN schedule most start around 8 PM local time.

sorry I missed your post, but I looked at a lot of other schools and I actually couldn't find on that started at midnight. If you look at the ESPN schedule most start around 8 PM local time.

Okie dokie. I'm hoping the AD is considering doing this, and that the low-cost or free admission, concession sales, etc. are possibilities for the event.

Just googled this and couldn't work out any better. Here is the rule: 12am on the Saturday closest to October 15th is when this can happen. This year that means that date is Friday night October 12/Saturday morning October 13th. CU has the Thursday night game against ASU on the 11th. Out of town fans will already be in town for a long weekend for the Thursday ASU game, CU could have the opportunity to make this special. Thursday night football game (one of our better chances for a W) follow it up on Friday night with midnight madness, if this is marketed and organized properly it could be dynamite.

This might be a perfect storm. Thanx for the info!

I didn't do any google research, but if I remember correctly, the NCAA actually did something right several years ago and actually moved the official start of the season from midnight on X day to like 9PM on X-1 day to cater to fans for midnight madness events.

Back