What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MIKE BOHN: Buffnation deserves a better coach than Logan or Calhoun

Yep. Because the 2 interviews that were reported must be the only 2 candidates who were looked at or spoken to.

I trust Mike Bohn to make that 90 minute drive to the Springs. I really do, especially since there are no other colleges along the way to distract him. If he goes the 93 route through Golden, he could potentially interview the coach at Mines, but it is probably best to avoid distractions. Get the tank filled up, grab some chili cheese fritos, a Sobe, and let's get a football coach!

I trust Mike Bohn to make that 90 minute drive to the Springs. I really do, especially since there are no other colleges along the way to distract him. If he goes the 93 route through Golden, he could potentially interview the coach at Mines, but it is probably best to avoid distractions. Get the tank filled up, grab some chili cheese fritos, a Sobe, and let's get a football coach!

Sounds like you've disqualified Calhoun in your mind over the perception issue of hiring someone from the local area.

Sounds like you've disqualified Calhoun in your mind over the perception issue of hiring someone from the local area.

Absolutely not. I just have yet to see a compelling argument for Calhoun, other than it is really, really, really, really, really hard to win at Air Force.

If you can convince me his coaching staff will include many people with quality experience at a BCS school (read: not from a traditional doormat of the ACC). Alas it appears one of the few quality assistant coaches on his current staff (and a coordinator to boot!) has been snatched up by Texas A&M. My guess is he will not be leaving there anytime soon, especially since he has completely turned around their defense. Additionally, I would also be curious to see his plan on how to recruit the West, given we are about to enter the Pac-12 conference. I mean, it is one thing to recruit athletes to a service academy or a small private school in North Carolina, but it is quite another to recruit athletes to win in the Pac-12. I realize this may be "sweating the small stuff," but I think it might be a wee bit important.

BB,

Those are the concerns I also have about Calhoun. I don't question his coaching acumen or his character. Those pretty much speak for themselves. Dude can flat coach, there's never been a hint of scandal around him, and those who have worked with him or played for him really like the man.

My first question is whether he can recruit the types of athletes necessary to win Pac-12 championships. My second question is on the depth and breadth of his relationships in the coaching world... what kind of staff can he assemble and how easily can he replace a top assistant who leaves?

Calhoun is not my #1 candidate and never has been. But I believe he is easily a solid enough candidate that he should be interviewed and given an opportunity to answer those question while laying out his plan for what he would do if hired at CU.

It's always best to consider travel costs when conducting a coaching search. Luckily, all Bohn has to do is hop on 36 until it reaches I-25, and then it is straight shot down to the Springs. Less than a tank of gas and we have our coach.

It's a shorter drive to Mullen. Jus' sayin'.

Honestly, is Calhoun even the best service academy coach?? Nuimatolo (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but don't care) has a more impressive resume than Calhoun IMO.

This will sound ludacris, but I'd almost rather take a risk on Kiesau than Calhoun.

Calhoun? Really? Is he a good recruiter? How about his assistants? Does he have BCS experience? Is he going to run the option at CU? Very good coach for air force, HC at CU? meh....

Absolutely not. I just have yet to see a compelling argument for Calhoun, other than it is really, really, really, really, really hard to win at Air Force.

If you can convince me his coaching staff will include many people with quality experience at a BCS school (read: not from a traditional doormat of the ACC). Alas it appears one of the few quality assistant coaches on his current staff (and a coordinator to boot!) has been snatched up by Texas A&M. My guess is he will not be leaving there anytime soon, especially since he has completely turned around their defense. Additionally, I would also be curious to see his plan on how to recruit the West, given we are about to enter the Pac-12 conference. I mean, it is one thing to recruit athletes to a service academy or a small private school in North Carolina, but it is quite another to recruit athletes to win in the Pac-12. I realize this may be "sweating the small stuff," but I think it might be a wee bit important.

You couldn't have just said this from the start?

Agree 100%!!

Let's hold off on the lanterns and pitchforks for a minute.

Calhoun has a pretty well-rounded resume. He was qualified for a BCS HC gig when he took the job at AF. If he really wants a HC gig at a BCS school he will certainly get one. I have the same concerns as everyone else about him, but I'm not going to have a meltdown if he gets the job.

Richt, Belotti, and Miles have all confirmed that someone (Neinas?) has at least made initial contact with them regarding the job. National search? Literally coast to coast, and these are just the high profile ones that have come out in the media. No way Bohn is going to tip his hand as to who the frontrunner might be while there's still football to play.

Calhoun has a pretty well-rounded resume. He was qualified for a BCS HC gig when he took the job at AF. If he really wants a HC gig at a BCS school he will certainly get one. I have the same concerns as everyone else about him, but I'm not going to have a meltdown if he gets the job.

Richt, Belotti, and Miles have all confirmed that someone (Neinas?) has at least made initial contact with them regarding the job. National search? Literally coast to coast, and these are just the high profile ones that have come out in the media. No way Bohn is going to tip his hand as to who the frontrunner might be while there's still football to play.

Says who?? Just because some other school was (maybe) willing to hire him doesn't mean we should.

Everyone thought Hawk was qualified for a BCS gig when we hired him. Different guy will be the same results in the end.

Says who?? Just because some other school was (maybe) willing to hire him doesn't mean we should.

He didn't say that.

But it is interesting that we have collective hard-ons for Buffs that no other program would hire but react violently when guys like Calhoun (who could get hired at BCS programs) are mentioned as candidates Bohn should interview and consider for the job.

He didn't say that.

But it is interesting that we have collective hard-ons for Buffs that no other program would hire but react violently when guys like Calhoun (who could get hired at BCS programs) are mentioned as candidates Bohn should interview and consider for the job.

No he said Calhoun was qualified for a BCS HC gig...why exactly? I'm not as nuts about the nostalgic Mac hire or the EB hire either, but my comment was about Calhoun specifically. He has a mediocre record at Air Force, his best win was against BYU, and he was the OC for a very pedestrian Houston Texans team...honestly if he wasn't a convenient drive from Boulder would he even be a candidate??

He didn't say that.

Has Minnesota contacted Calhoun?

No he said Calhoun was qualified for a BCS HC gig...why exactly? I'm not as nuts about the nostalgic Mac hire or the EB hire either, but my comment was about Calhoun specifically. He has a mediocre record at Air Force, his best win was against BYU, and he was the OC for a very pedestrian Houston Texans team...honestly if he wasn't a convenient drive from Boulder would he even be a candidate??

I wouldn't call his record at Air Force "mediocre". He took over a losing program and has won two-thirds of his games while going to a bowl every year. As you mentioned, he has been an NFL coordinator. Before that, he was coordinator at both Wake Forest and Ohio. Both of those programs had offenses that set school records while he was there. And every report I've seen or heard from people who played for Calhoun or worked with him has been absolutely glowing about what a good coach and good guy he is.

I have my questions about Calhoun, but I don't question his coaching acumen or qualifications to be in consideration for CU. I would bet that if he was had the same exact resume but it said "Navy" instead of "Air Force", then a lot of Buff fans would feel very different about him. The fact that he's coaching at a program that's a short drive from Boulder is prejudicing some people against him imho.

I wouldn't call his record at Air Force "mediocre". He took over a losing program and has won two-thirds of his games while going to a bowl every year. As you mentioned, he has been an NFL coordinator. Before that, he was coordinator at both Wake Forest and Ohio. Both of those programs had offenses that set school records while he was there. And every report I've seen or heard from people who played for Calhoun or worked with him has been absolutely glowing about what a good coach and good guy he is.

I have my questions about Calhoun, but I don't question his coaching acumen or qualifications to be in consideration for CU. I would bet that if he was had the same exact resume but it said "Navy" instead of "Air Force", then a lot of Buff fans would feel very different about him. The fact that he's coaching at a program that's a short drive from Boulder is prejudicing some people against him imho.

People glowed about Hawk too, I'm just saying I've never heard a former player come out and admit that his former coac was an idiot or a bad guy. Not to say Calhoun isn't a great guy and a good coach, but I take those kind of statement from former players/staffers with a grain of salt.

Funny you mention Navy, because you could argue Nuimatalolo has had more success at Navy than Calhoun has had at AF. I have 3 big concerns with Calhoun:

1. His best season at AF was his first. He won 9 games, finished 2nd in the MWC, and was MWC coach of the year. He hasn't been able to replicate any of that which concerns me.

2. He hasn't beaten anyone of significance. His best wins were BYU and maybe Houston. ALMOST beating OU is constantly brought up as some kind of feather in his cap - WTF, he lost that game right?? Hawk managed to beat OU once, so excuse me if I am not thrilled about a guy's signature (almost) win.

3. I'm not sure he can assemble a quality BCS staff. He's going to need top assistants who are familiar with the Pac 10 and can recruit the west coast - who can he really get?? Not sure he has the west coast/Big 12/Pac 12 connections to assemble an top staff.

If Bohn wants to interview him that's fine, I don't mind casting a wide net, but if we end up with Calhoun, I am going infer that either we didn't really look that hard, or no one else wanted the job in which case it would be a disappointing hire IMO.

We're really not that different in our opinions. Calhoun's a solid candidate, but he's the type of guy you hire if you don't get who you really want imho. He would probably win at a decent clip while keeping us out of trouble. And that's great. But I want to be inspired by someone I think can possibly win a national title here.

We're really not that different in our opinions. Calhoun's a solid candidate, but he's the type of guy you hire if you don't get who you really want imho. He would probably win at a decent clip while keeping us out of trouble. And that's great. But I want to be inspired by someone I think can possibly win a national title here.

Totally agree. To me Calhoun seems like a guy who could probably deliver 7-8 win seasons pretty regularly but very rarely do much better - just my feeling. This fanbase needs a coach that gives us a reason to believe we can be better than that.

I don't know how you can say he would "probably win at a decent clip." Frankly, I don't look for him to win 7 or 8 games a year in the Pac12. Calhoun has only been winning 7 or 8 games a year at Air Force, against the MWC. I think it is a stretch to expect him to step up to a much more difficult level of competition with the same number of wins.

Winning in the MWC when you play UNLV, CSU, Wyoming, etc. every week is a much different "achievement" than being successful in the Pac12. The fact is that Air Force rarely plays quality teams, aside from Utah and TCU, and under Calhoun Air Force has rarely beaten those quality teams - aside from his 1st season. We just fired a coach who beat up on all the mid-majors. Why would we give serious consideration to a guy with the exact same resume, now?

I do agree with what many others have said - he is a decent fallback option, but he should be WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY down the list! I would much rather hire a 70 year old McCartney or even a never-been-a-coach Bienemy, rather than Calhoun.

Slade,

CSU and UNLV should be easier to win at than Air Force. The only program in the MWC with less going for it is probably Wyoming, but even they have risen up and had their good periods. Air Force is never going to have a player who weighs 300 lbs and almost never will attract a recruit with even a 3* ranking (2* is actually an unusually prominent recruit, most are unrated).

Slade,

CSU and UNLV should be easier to win at than Air Force. The only program in the MWC with less going for it is probably Wyoming, but even they have risen up and had their good periods. Air Force is never going to have a player who weighs 300 lbs and almost never will attract a recruit with even a 3* ranking (2* is actually an unusually prominent recruit, most are unrated).

Fisher DeBerry won 8+ games on a pretty regular basis. He even won 12 games a few times. I don't see where Calhoun has done anything more impressive than what Fisher DeBerry was doing before him.

In layman's terms it is a two burrito drive if you are hungry. Three is pushing it.

Fisher DeBerry won 8+ games on a pretty regular basis. He even won 12 games a few times. I don't see where Calhoun has done anything more impressive than what Fisher DeBerry was doing before him.

Calhoun's been better than DeBerry was by win %. But that's beside the point. Are you saying that Fisher DeBerry wasn't qualified to be a BCS head coach? Is there something about coaching at a service academy that bothers you?

Calhoun's been better than DeBerry was by win %. But that's beside the point. Are you saying that Fisher DeBerry wasn't qualified to be a BCS head coach? Is there something about coaching at a service academy that bothers you?

Not at all. I think coaching at a service academy is a difficult proposition, made easier by the fact that they play in a scrub conference. If Dan Hawkins coached in the MWC I suspect he would be winning 8+ games every season, too.

Fisher DeBerry coached at Air Force for 23 years. Troy Calhoun has been there for 3. I don't think it is realistic to compare the two coaches, at this time. You made the statement that Calhoun took over a "losing program" and turned them into a winner in 1 year. While it is true that Air Force was struggling when Calhoun took over (3 losing seasons in a row, preceded by 10 years of .500 or better ball - including two conference championships and 5 bowl games) - I do not think it is at all accurate to describe DeBerry's program as a "losing program."

As others have said -- why not consider the coach from Navy, if we are so interested in service academies? At least Niumatalolo has west coast ties (went to school at Hawaii and was an assistant coach at UNLV). He's done pretty well against BCS competition, and he's also got a better winning percentage than Calhoun.

Calhoun is a hire of convenience. He's down the street. He's clean. He's neat. He's white. He's not going to generate an ounce of revenue for the athletic department until he starts winning big.

Name/Coord Exp(BCS or NFL)/HC Exp(BCS or NFL)/Total coord + hc exp prior to being hired in the PAC(BCS or NFL)

Stoops 5(5) 10(10) 5(5)
Tedford 9(4) 9(9) 9(4)
Kelly 11(2) 2(2) 11(2)
Erickson 5(0) 22(18) 23(14)
Riley 8(3) 17(12) 17(7)
Harbaugh 0(0) 6(3) 3(0)
Ellen 1(1) 10(10) 8(8)
Kiffin 6(6) 5(5) 10(10)
Sarkisian 2(2) 2(2) 2(2)
Wulff 2(0) 11(3) 10(0)
Calhoun 10(4) 4(0) *14(4)

*if the Buffs hired him

He has 4 yrs more combined coordinator/HC experience than the average PAC coach did before getting their current gig. Not my first choice either. I'd rather have Mac or Miles or Belotti or a current coordinator from a top 10 program. But he has the kind of resume that would get him an interview for a BCS gig pretty much anywhere outside of traditional top-15 schools. Much deeper resume than Sarkisian, Harbaugh, or Gill for example.

Consistently winning 8-9 games a year at a service academy is not mediocre. His winning % at AF is better than Al Golden at Temple or Brady Hoke at SDSU. I think the reactions to him on this board are partly a kneejerk from superficial similarities to hawk. That and maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Not at all. I think coaching at a service academy is a difficult proposition, made easier by the fact that they play in a scrub conference. If Dan Hawkins coached in the MWC I suspect he would be winning 8+ games every season, too.

Fisher DeBerry coached at Air Force for 23 years. Troy Calhoun has been there for 3. I don't think it is realistic to compare the two coaches, at this time. You made the statement that Calhoun took over a "losing program" and turned them into a winner in 1 year. While it is true that Air Force was struggling when Calhoun took over (3 losing seasons in a row, preceded by 10 years of .500 or better ball - including two conference championships and 5 bowl games) - I do not think it is at all accurate to describe DeBerry's program as a "losing program."

As others have said -- why not consider the coach from Navy, if we are so interested in service academies? At least Niumatalolo has west coast ties (went to school at Hawaii and was an assistant coach at UNLV). He's done pretty well against BCS competition, and he's also got a better winning percentage than Calhoun.

Calhoun is a hire of convenience. He's down the street. He's clean. He's neat. He's white. He's not going to generate an ounce of revenue for the athletic department until he starts winning big.

Niumatalolo doesn't have the BCS or NFL experience, he inherited a program that was winning at a better clip under Paul Johnson than Niumatalolo has achieved, and our Athletic Director doesn't have a personal relationship (Calhoun was a player at AFA when Bohn worked in the AD). I still think Niumatalolo is a good coach and he might be someone I would interview, but he's a step down from Calhoun from a resume perspective. And if I put myself in Bohn's shoes, I can tell you that it make a difference if I'm hiring for a position and I personally know someone who I believe would do a good job. I'm likely to hire that person unless I'm able to attract an absolute superstar for the position.

His winning % at AF is better than Al Golden at Temple or Brady Hoke at SDSU. I think the reactions to him on this board are partly a kneejerk from superficial similarities to hawk. That and maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Al Golden's entire coaching career, other than Temple, has been at BCS programs. (Virginia, Boston College, Penn State)
Brady Hoke spent 5 years coaching at Oregon State, followed up with 7 years coaching at Michigan. Frankly, both are a reach to me, much in the vein of Calhoun. None of them are going to inspire fans/donors/alums to open their pocketbooks, former players won't support them off the bat, but they would probably be cheap to hire.

You made the statement that Calhoun took over a "losing program" and turned them into a winner in 1 year. While it is true that Air Force was struggling when Calhoun took over (3 losing seasons in a row, preceded by 10 years of .500 or better ball - including two conference championships and 5 bowl games) - I do not think it is at all accurate to describe DeBerry's program as a "losing program."

They hadn't had a winning record in conference since 2002, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Since the MWC is such a horrible, scrub conference, having a losing conference record would have to make you a losing program, right??

I'll say it again - you keep bitching about how bad the conference is, but in his first 3 years Calhoun has yet to finish behind a team that was unranked at year end. For a lot of reasons that BB and Nik have covered pretty well above, I'm not thrilled with him. He's definitely not my first choice. But the arguments that he's a terrible candidate because the MWC is a terrible conference are kind of lame. He is doing a good job at AFA. He is a good coach.

And bringing race into the discussion is not even worth dignifying with a response. :rolling_eyes:

Back