What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn made one major mistake today

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
And that was he was way too political. He should have just come out with the facts. The facts speak loud and clear.

"We thank Jon for his service to the University. He is a great Buff, and will always be part of the family. However, his performance as coach for CU was unacceptable. The team only won 4 games in two years, they didn't win a single home game this year, and the team was not competitive in most games over the past 2 seasons. There have been numerous bad losses, and recruiting is not where we expected. The performance is not acceptable for what we want from the football program, and it was having a significant impact on ticket sales, donations, and the CU brand overall. It didn't appear to be going in the direction we want it to go within 2 years. We expect more, and we're going to look for someone who can deliver more for us as we get the football team back on track."

Instead we got lots of talk about trajectories and this and that. He should have had a concise, fact-based argument - instead he got hauled into a strange political landscape

He was evasive in directly criticizing Embree. When pressed, he mentioned the product in the field and started by mentioning failed strategy and poor long term vision. That was a strong argument. I got the impression he didn't believe there were enough changes being suggested by Embree on the current staff, and the new coaches he did want weren't in the bag, thus the uncertainty.

His usage of the word headwinds boarded on excessive to promotional. If he's starting a sailing company, we've been had.

Also, his pronunciation of the word functional sounded a lot like ****-tional.

Spot on Dio! The guy likes to mince his words, but that's the politician in him. I thought the e-mail he sent to season ticket holders was a little on the classless side. I wonder if Bohn were to be fired tomorrow if there would be a similar e-mail. I think not.

Dear Valued Season Ticket Holder,
We are making a change in the leadership in our football enterprise and feel this is in the best interests of the program and the University of Colorado, particularly given our goal to compete at the highest levels of the Pac-12 Conference and nationally.
It was a difficult decision given Coach Jon Embree's history with CU, and one we arrived at after considerable deliberation. The entire university community fervently wanted Coach Embree to succeed. We appreciate his passion and dedication and wish him the best. We strive for sustainable excellence in all we do, and the entire university leadership is committed to doing everything we can to ensure success, for which we are accountable. We call upon alumni, fans and donors to join us in our competitive efforts.

University of Colorado President Bruce Benson

University of Colorado Chancellor Phil DiStefano

University of Colorado Boulder Athletic Director Mike Bohn

Tough to slap down a race-card playing, cry-baby, which is what Embo turned out to be. I move to revoke both his Buff and his Creek cards, that was embarrassing!

Man up, Jon! You coulda pulled an "Eric Stratton": "Hey, guys, you F*** 'ed up! You trusted me and I wasn't ready!"

Bohn had to be highly political after that Embo display of......I don't even know what to call it.

Jon, Walter, Big Al....just go away! Come back when your "bruthuh" schtick cools off. Oh, and Jon, go buy a huge annuity with that $1.25 million you got coming.

I agree dio. He obviously wanted to be respectful and not just throw him to the wolves, but some of the questions were asking for just that. He failed to meet not overly grand expectations. It's as simple as that.

Allowing Embree to speak at the presser was mistake one.
Having players there was mistake two.

The facts speak for themselves. If Embree wants to go on talk radio and trash anything to do with CU, there should be a clause tied to his payout to prevent that.

I think he also mistakenly thought that a man that had just lost his dream job after two years would hold it together. I lost respect for Embo, but I can understand why he acted unprofessional. I think that Bohn underestimated just how much Embo was hurting. I understand you want to get things moving (rip off the band aide quickly so to speak), but what did you expect would happen?

That being said, I thought that all parties involved looked bad. Embo acted smug and catty - I don't remember him once saying how he was grateful that he was given the chance to coach at CU, his dream job, when no other program would give him a sniff. Bohn looked overly political and unprepared for Embree's remarks and the media's questions. The media, although I appreciated many of their questions - especially those directed at whether or not Bohn is qualified to hire another coach - came off as a whinny little bunch of home-towners that were only interested in making Bohn look bad.

All and all, not the best I've seen out of Boulder.

players at the press conference was a terrible idea.

The entire idea of giving a press conference featuring a guy who had just been fired was horrible. I don't know how it could have been expected to be anything but a disaster.

All of the guys from 25 years ago have become absurdly embittered. You can't have the worst season in the history of the program along with the worst offense and defense in the entire country and expect to keep your job.

Back