What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

You know Gordon Gee was the University President, not an AD, right?

And all of us are traumatized by Bohn's lack of football SUCCESS. That is not the same thing as a lack of FB experience, no matter what your opinion may be...

A lot of our answers are the same, especially #1. Like I said, you can't fundraise without being trusted. It's a chicken and the egg argument we're having. People are saying "Fundraising!". I'm saying "FB exec!". You can't solicit donations without getting donors to believe in what you're selling them. A donor will donate to someone who has run a successful AD before. Not to someone who is a risk, much like Bohn was when we hired him. We need more of a sure thing.

A lot of our answers are the same, especially #1. Like I said, you can't fundraise without being trusted. It's a chicken and the egg argument we're having. People are saying "Fundraising!". I'm saying "FB exec!". You can't solicit donations without getting donors to believe in what you're selling them. A donor will donate to someone who has run a successful AD before. Not to someone who is a risk, much like Bohn was when we hired him. We need more of a sure thing.

Donors have to trust that the AD can lead a successful organization. They absolutely do not have to trust that the AD can make all the football decisions themselves.

In fact, I would be scared ******** of an AD that thinks he can. #1 - No top coach is going to want to work for that AD. #2 - That model is entirely unsustainable. The department has to be built to succeed even if the AD moves on, retires, gets hit by a bus, whatever. #3 - I would realize as a donor that I'm talking to an AD who has no clue what his job actually is...

Donors have to trust that the AD can lead a successful organization. They absolutely do not have to trust that the AD can make all the football decisions themselves.

In fact, I would be scared ******** of an AD that thinks he can. #1 - No top coach is going to want to work for that AD. #2 - That model is entirely unsustainable. The department has to be built to succeed even if the AD moves on, retires, gets hit by a bus, whatever. #3 - I would realize as a donor that I'm talking to an AD who has no clue what his job actually is...

Since this isn't a realistic possibility, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bohn thought that by back stabbing a member of buff4life his job would be safe, good luck with that. Like I stated in a previous thread, his tenure won't be long as CU AD.

Last edited:
What goes around comes around. Bohn thought that by back stabbing a member of buff4life his job would be safe, good luck with that.

:lol: That Buffs4Life member should have never gotten the job, period.

Gold, think about it another way; successful college coaches get NFL jobs all the time, right? Now tell me ONE successful college AD that parlayed that success into an NFL GM job. Can't think of one? That's because it doesn't happen - the jobs are completely different.

It doesn't have to be a draconian situation where we hire a GM or a current college AD and he wants to meddle into MacIntyre's affairs like he's George Steinbrenner. My point was if we get a proven FB exec, donors will respond favorably. But hire someone with a fundraising background w/o great football experience, and we're back to square one.

It doesn't have to be a draconian situation where we hire a GM or a current college AD and he wants to meddle into MacIntyre's affairs like he's George Steinbrenner. My point was if we get a proven FB exec, donors will respond favorably. But hire someone with a fundraising background w/o great football experience, and we're back to square one.

Great COLLEGE football experience.

actually, didn't Bohn play Baseball at KU? Isn't that the reason he went to KU instead of CU, that we'd just eliminated the baseball program?

He was the quarterback for the KU football team. CU eliminated baseball after he want to KU. He had accepted an offer from Bill Mallory to play football at CU, but Chuck Fairbanks didn't honor the offer.

I like Ceal Barry, I am confident she will do a great job, can't be any worse than Bohn.

:bang:

I swear you do this stuff just to piss people off. Tell me the truth, do really believe half the crap you post? You gotta be kidding, right?

Great COLLEGE football experience.

At least we're talking fb experience now. This argument started with me not wanting Rick George. New rule, you had to have been involved in football this century to be considered for the job.

Actually Bohn had run 2 successful ADs before he was hired at CU, he wasn't this huge risk you make him out to be. Furthermore, he was a pretty damn good hire given our situation at the time.

Hey, junk, what's that game they play in the Summertime that has pitchers, catchers, and fielders and has a championship called the World Series?

Hey, junk, what's that game they play in the Summertime that has pitchers, catchers, and fielders and has a championship called the World Series?

ngbbs4ac3f5a6d2844.jpg

Actually Bohn had run 2 successful ADs before he was hired at CU, he wasn't this huge risk you make him out to be. Furthermore, he was a pretty damn good hire given our situation at the time.

While at SDSU, in his only full season the FB team went 4-7. What success are you talking about? If anything, he was touted as... a great fundraiser.

While at SDSU, in his only full season the FB team went 4-7. What success are you talking about? If anything, he was touted as... a great fundraiser.
He was both the AD AND the head football coach at SDSU? It's no wonder he only went 4-7, then.

Big attendance and fundraising increases at SDSU. Balanced budgets, increased fundraising, new facilities, and transition to Division 1A while at Idaho. Where do you get the idea that Bohn was a huge risk when hired?

And I'll reiterate that he was a very good hire, he just ran his course at CU an we need a different kind I leader now.

Big attendance and fundraising increases at SDSU. Balanced budgets, increased fundraising, new facilities, and transition to Division 1A while at Idaho. Where do you get the idea that Bohn was a huge risk when hired?

And I'll reiterate that he was a very good hire, he just ran his course at CU an we need a different kind I leader now.

Because he never ran a successful FB program. That's a huge risk for a FB school like CU. Is there a full moon tonight? What's up with the Mike Bohn revisionist history. Guy wasn't qualified to run a big time FB program then or now.

I only have 7 years of recent data to back that claim up, but I feel pretty good about it.

Well all we can do is hope that MB has given the athletic department a sturdy base, ball is now with the administrations hands.

Because he never ran a successful FB program. That's a huge risk for a FB school like CU. Is there a full moon tonight? What's up with the Mike Bohn revisionist history. Guy wasn't qualified to run a big time FB program then or now.

I only have 7 years of recent data to back that claim up, but I feel pretty good about it.

Gold, when Bohn was hired we were embroiled in a scandal that cost the University President, Chancellor, and Athletic Director their jobs. CU Athletics, and the football program in particular, were damaged goods. The media was crushing the program, heavy sanctions were places on the FB program, donations were drying up, and the FB program had already begun it's slide into mediocrity which would ultimately cost Barnett his job too. Frankly, it was a crappy job for anyone who had good option available. Where was CU going to find an AD that had lead a successful football program elsewhere? Those guys aren't typically looking for jobs.

I think bb2 is right for a change. It's called baseball. Or beisbol en espanol.

Back