What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

At least we're talking fb experience now. This argument started with me not wanting Rick George. New rule, you had to have been involved in football this century to be considered for the job.

And I'm still not saying that the person they hire has to have football experience at all. I'm just saying that donors aren't going to be all that excited about somebody with great football experience if it has no bearing on the college game. They are going to understand that the AD's job is to facilitate the football people, not supplant them. An AD that has succeeded at the college level will excite donors (and if they've been successful, they'll probably also know how to keep those donors engaged). An AD that can convince them that he knows how to help his football people succeed can also excite donors. An AD that thinks they've got football wired because they know how to manage a salary cap and sign free agents? Not necessarily.

I am shocked at the "we don't need a football guy" angle. This is 7 years of talking about how Bohn didn't get football, and now that we have a shot at getting our football program the front office experience it needs, we're passing on that. Since I do not believe we will ever get an NFL GM, we can drop that.

Answer these questions if you will:

Most important AD resume qualification?
Gold: Demonstrated success as a recent football executive, preferably as an AD from a successful FB program

Why did you pick that one?
Gold: After 7 years of failed FB, CU is not in a position to roll the dice and take a chance on an unqualified candidate. Recent experience is necessary because of the quick changing FB landscape.

What top 3 things do the AD have to do day-to-day to achieve success?
Gold: (1) Work side by side with the right coaching and recruiting staff (2) understand what resources a successful program needs (i.e., facilities) to achieve success on and off the field (3) how to put out a consumer facing product that generates fan interest and donations (fundraising, marketing)

Should the AD play a role in personnel and be more hands on in FB, or a business type?
Gold: Bohn's lack of FB knowledge is why he was fired. That resulted in 7 years of losing, and stalled donations. So yes, the right AD knows how to build winning teams first and foremost. They should have input in personnel for on-and-off the field decisions. Lack of control on the FB program was the previous AD's downfall, not their lack of business savvy as noted by the P12 merger and subsequent revenue boost from the conference switch.

It sounds like you are advocating the Bo Schembechler model, or more recent examples, Alvarez at Wisonsin or Belotti at Oregon. Of course, all of these guys had experience at their own university and made the transition to AD. CU doesn't have that luxury of course.

It seems like a lot of different paths can lead to success. Some guys are former businessmen like David Brandon at Michigan, some have climbed the ladder by job hopping like the Baylor AD, and others have been promoted into the position like the Florida AD, who literally started at the university as a ticket intern 40 years ago and worked his way up to AD.

Overall, it's hard to say there is any formula for a good hire. In the end, it's more about energizing the whole community around a vision. It goes without saying that's been lacking at CU. I don't blame Bohn for all the problems, but he wasn't a catalyst for change either.

And I'm still not saying that the person they hire has to have football experience at all. I'm just saying that donors aren't going to be all that excited about somebody with great football experience if it has no bearing on the college game. They are going to understand that the AD's job is to facilitate the football people, not supplant them. An AD that has succeeded at the college level will excite donors (and if they've been successful, they'll probably also know how to keep those donors engaged). An AD that can convince them that he knows how to help his football people succeed can also excite donors. An AD that thinks they've got football wired because they know how to manage a salary cap and sign free agents? Not necessarily.

If Benson hires someone with no football experience I can't imagine this hire working out. You keep going back to this draconian GM that meddles in all things FB related. Who wants that? Do you think I want that? We're not hiring an NFL GM. I personally think its an NFL exec is an intriguing model, but it's not happening.

Gold, when Bohn was hired we were embroiled in a scandal that cost the University President, Chancellor, and Athletic Director their jobs. CU Athletics, and the football program in particular, were damaged goods. The media was crushing the program, heavy sanctions were places on the FB program, donations were drying up, and the FB program had already begun it's slide into mediocrity which would ultimately cost Barnett his job too. Frankly, it was a crappy job for anyone who had good option available. Where was CU going to find an AD that had lead a successful football program elsewhere? Those guys aren't typically looking for jobs.

You said he was a successful AD before CU and I asked what made you say that? Your response is CU situation was bad and it was a difficult job. That doesn't qualify Bohn for an AD position at CU.

If Benson hires someone with no football experience I can't imagine this hire working out. You keep going back to this draconian GM that meddles in all things FB related. Who wants that? Do you think I want that? We're not hiring an NFL GM. I personally think its an NFL exec is an intriguing model, but it's not happening.

You're the one talking about wanting an NFL GM and citing their experience with personnel management (including on field) as one of the reasons why. If that isn't meddling in all things FB related, I don't know what is...

It sounds like you are advocating the Bo Schembechler model, or more recent examples, Alvarez at Wisonsin or Belotti at Oregon. Of course, all of these guys had experience at their own university and made the transition to AD. CU doesn't have that luxury of course.

It seems like a lot of different paths can lead to success. Some guys are former businessmen like David Brandon at Michigan, some have climbed the ladder by job hopping like the Baylor AD, and others have been promoted into the position like the Florida AD, who literally started at the university as a ticket intern 40 years ago and worked his way up to AD.

Overall, it's hard to say there is any formula for a good hire. In the end, it's more about energizing the whole community around a vision. It goes without saying that's been lacking at CU. I don't blame Bohn for all the problems, but he wasn't a catalyst for change either.

MM is a dynamic highly organized HC. He needs an AD that can match his organizational efforts and then some. This new AD needs to be a mentor/advisor/advocator/facilitator to MM at the highest level. I don't trust any AD that doesn't have an FB background. No more on the job training at the big boy table.

MM is a dynamic highly organized HC. He needs an AD that can match his organizational efforts and then some. This new AD needs to be a mentor/advisor/advocator/facilitator to MM at the highest level. I don't trust any AD that doesn't have an FB background. No more on the job training at the big boy table.

I totally agree on the first part of your post. I just don't understand what part of those roles requires a FB background. Particularly if you're willing to look beyond college football. A college AD without a FB background is going to be very hard to judge on those factors you list, which is why I would greatly prefer somebody with that background, but so is somebody from outside college athletics.

You're the one talking about wanting an NFL GM and citing their experience with personnel management (including on field) as one of the reasons why. If that isn't meddling in all things FB related, I don't know what is...

And I clarified that personnel management to mean help with recruiting and admissions. It's not meddling if its welcomed by MM. Like I said, your take is similar to others in that you're thinking worst case, depressing negative scenario. Can you possibly imagine a successful NFL type that could be great at CU? Or are you so burnt by the last 7 years that it's impossible to think that way?

I totally agree on the first part of your post. I just don't understand what part of those roles requires a FB background. Particularly if you're willing to look beyond college football. A college AD without a FB background is going to be very hard to judge on those factors you list, which is why I would greatly prefer somebody with that background, but so is somebody from outside college athletics.

I think the NFL is intriguing, not a must have. Also, I'd assume if we did land an NFL guy, he'd have familiarity/experience with college.

And I clarified that personnel management to mean help with recruiting and admissions. It's not meddling if its welcomed by MM. Like I said, your take is similar to others in that you're thinking worst case, depressing negative scenario. Can you possibly imagine a successful NFL type that could be great at CU? Or are you so burnt by the last 7 years that it's impossible to think that way?
I can imagine a successful NFL type that could be great at CU. I can imagine a successful baseball executive that could be great at CU. I can imagine an AD from another school that can be great at CU, even without a FB background. Hell, I can imagine somebody from the business world totally outside athletics that can be great at CU (although that sure as hell isn't my first choice...)

I'm not the one placing one strict pre-condition on the hire. It seems to me that you're the one who is so burnt by the last 7 years that you're only able to look at the job one way. Where we both agree is that the role of the AD needs to be as a facilitator for the people who really know how to run a program in each of our sports. They need to know how to build relationships internally and externally, with donors and administration. And those are certainly not skills that are restricted to people who have run a FB program, and they are not necessarily something you can just count on somebody from an NFL background to instantly excel at....

Tap the brakes there buddy. I still can't figure out whether or not a successful MLB exec would take the job, let alone a successful NFL guy.

I can imagine a successful NFL type that could be great at CU. I can imagine a successful baseball executive that could be great at CU. I can imagine an AD from another school that can be great at CU, even without a FB background. Hell, I can imagine somebody from the business world totally outside athletics that can be great at CU (although that sure as hell isn't my first choice...)

I'm not the one placing one strict pre-condition on the hire. It seems to me that you're the one who is so burnt by the last 7 years that you're only able to look at the job one way. Where we both agree is that the role of the AD needs to be as a facilitator for the people who really know how to run a program in each of our sports. They need to know how to build relationships internally and externally, with donors and administration. And those are certainly not skills that are restricted to people who have run a FB program, and they are not necessarily something you can just count on somebody from an NFL background to instantly excel at....

Yep, I do think they need to know the ins and outs of football to be successful. I think it's too risky to have someone learn how to work with a football program at this level. Not saying a baseball exec couldn't work, but I would not risk finding out and learning the hard way.

Yep, I do think they need to know the ins and outs of football to be successful. I think it's too risky to have someone learn how to work with a football program at this level. Not saying a baseball exec couldn't work, but I would not risk finding out and learning the hard way.

I agree with the risk, but I can definitely see where somebody with his background could be successful in an AD job. Where we really disagree is about whether or not there is significantly less risk with somebody with an NFL background. I really don't think there is...

I couldn't care less about a football background. Hire football people for that and prioritize the sport. The focus is on raising money and building facilities. Our next AD needs to be more Mitt Romney than Knute Rockne.

Rick George isn't a baseball exec, he's a sports exec. A pretty successful one I'd say. He has even worked here, and on the football team no less. I don't see how he doesn't have enough experience for the position. Who cares if it was 15 years ago? Has something changed in football in 15 years? Surely knowing the intricacies of the spread option isn't a prerequisite for the AD position?

A football exec could fail just as easily as a baseball exec could. Expecially at CU. The only football guy(s) that we need to hire in Boulder are the football coaches themselves. If the new AD is a football guy that can't raise money for facilities, what is the point of hiring him?

A football exec could fail just as easily as a baseball exec could. Expecially at CU. The only football guy(s) that we need to hire in Boulder are the football coaches themselves. If the new AD is a football guy that can't raise money for facilities, what is the point of hiring him?

Our donors aren't dumb. They want more than a fundraising cheerleader. You honestly think checks will roll in with a non-FB hire quicker than a seasoned, successful one? That doesn't add up at all.

Re: Mike Bohn replacment rumor thread

You dont know what youre talking about

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Our donors aren't dumb. They want more than a fundraising cheerleader. You honestly think checks will roll in with a non-FB hire quicker than a seasoned, successful one? That doesn't add up at all.

They're going to want to deal with someone they trust giving their money to, someone they see as competent to run an AD that has 17 sports not just 1, and has millions and millions of dollars flowing through it every year. Anymore the AD is a business enterprise, not just a football program.

Our AD has always been measured by the football teams success. The fact he was fired in a time when the #2 sport is taking off to great heights is proof of that.

They're going to want to deal with someone they trust giving their money to, someone they see as competent to run an AD that has 17 sports not just 1, and has millions and millions of dollars flowing through it every year. Anymore the AD is a business enterprise, not just a football program.

Yep. I'm around this all the time with work. People with money invest most comfortably with other people who are in their social circles. That's what Benson has brought to huge fundraising projects like the medical center and the east campus expansion, among other things. You need an AD who can be the point man at those cocktail parties. On top of that, the AD should inspire confidence in a larger vision for what CU athletics can and will be with this investment. How often have we wondered what giving money would tangibly affect at CU? That question is no different at the large donor level, but the expectations are higher. The next AD has to be the master of the elevator presentation. In 2 minutes or less, he or she has to be able to be able to make a person a true believer that money donated will change the world. This isn't about convincing a potential donor that the AD knows football. The AD just has to communicate that the right implementers have been hired for that and with the cash to play in the big tent, he/she will be able to give those folks the tools they need while holding them accountable.

Yep. I'm around this all the time with work. People with money invest most comfortably with other people who are in their social circles. That's what Benson has brought to huge fundraising projects like the medical center and the east campus expansion, among other things. You need an AD who can be the point man at those cocktail parties. On top of that, the AD should inspire confidence in a larger vision for what CU athletics can and will be with this investment. How often have we wondered what giving money would tangibly affect at CU? That question is no different at the large donor level, but the expectations are higher. The next AD has to be the master of the elevator presentation. In 2 minutes or less, he or she has to be able to be able to make a person a true believer that money donated will change the world. This isn't about convincing a potential donor that the AD knows football. The AD just has to communicate that the right implementers have been hired for that and with the cash to play in the big tent, he/she will be able to give those folks the tools they need while holding them accountable.

You just described a Benson-like AD. Go look at some ADs around the map (Louisville, Oregon, USC, etc). These guys aren't Mitt Romney salesmen. They've held similar positions in other athletic department at the college level, either running operations or the whole show. Basically, experienced ADs who have run football programs in the past. That's what we need.

You just described a Benson-like AD. Go look at some ADs around the map (Louisville, Oregon, USC, etc). These guys aren't Mitt Romney salesmen. They've held similar positions in other athletic department at the college level, either running operations or the whole show. Basically, experienced ADs who have run football programs in the past. That's what we need.

The fact that they are experienced ADs who have run ADs that include football programs in the past does not mean that they aren't Mitt Romney salesmen as well...

Here's a question for you - how do you think Bill Belichik would (hypothetically, obviously) profile as a college AD?

The fact that they are experienced ADs who have run ADs that include football programs in the past does not mean that they aren't Mitt Romney salesmen as well...

Here's a question for you - how do you think Bill Belichik would (hypothetically, obviously) profile as a college AD?

Belichik would make every CU wallet spontaneously burst open with so much money the AD would be swimming in cash Scrooge McDuck style.

Oregon's AD is Rob Mullens. He worked his way up through AD organization jobs at other schools, but his training is as a former accountant and auditor at Ernst & Young. He's a finance guy.

I absolutely want someone with experience in sports administration that includes working in a college athletic department. But I put my premium on the business end. It's about the money.

Rick George isn't a baseball exec, he's a sports exec. A pretty successful one I'd say. He has even worked here, and on the football team no less. I don't see how he doesn't have enough experience for the position. Who cares if it was 15 years ago? Has something changed in football in 15 years? Surely knowing the intricacies of the spread option isn't a prerequisite for the AD position?

If Rick George doesn't tweet whenever he's in a classroom, heading to the gym, the airport, a movie, some restaurant, or tweet trash talk at his peers while playing Madden, I find him unfit to run an athletic program. College football players weren't doing that stuff 15 years ago so I think he'd be wildly out of touch coming back to the game.

Oregon's AD is Rob Mullens. He worked his way up through AD organization jobs at other schools, but his training is as a former accountant and auditor at Ernst & Young. He's a finance guy.

I absolutely want someone with experience in sports administration that includes working in a college athletic department. But I put my premium on the business end. It's about the money.

I know, he ran day to day ops for Kentucky and Maryland since 96'. I'm good with that - an AD who's worked as an AD at other colleges. That is your most likely recipe for success.

I know, he ran day to day ops for Kentucky and Maryland since 96'. I'm good with that - an AD who's worked as an AD at other colleges. That is your most likely recipe for success.

But when he went to Oregon he had no track record running a successful football program, did he?

But when he went to Oregon he had no track record running a successful football program, did he?

With all of that Phil Knight money, they were much better off hiring a seasoned AD with an emphasis in accounting.

Back