What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

With all of that Phil Knight money, they were much better off hiring a seasoned AD with an emphasis in accounting.

Why? If the money was in place, you'd think the premium should have been on football knowledge. But they ran Belotti out to hire the accountant for some strange reason.

I'm a little surprised by what people value in an AD. Perhaps we've forgotten that an AD's job is not just hiring coaches every few years. It is making smart business decisions, motivating alumni, selling and image, and marketing the school. We need someone smart, savvy, hardworking that knows how to raise and manage money.

Of course we want someone that cares about football success, but I would prefer the new hire's strength to be business with a willingness to make calculated risks to benefit the program.

Mike Bohn replacment rumor thread

Bohn thought that by back stabbing a member of buff4life his job would be safe, good luck with that. Like I stated in a previous thread, his tenure won't be long as CU AD.

Does buff4life even exist anymore? I thought that cult died with Water Bottle.

I'm a little surprised by what people value in an AD. Perhaps we've forgotten that an AD's job is not just hiring coaches every few years. It is making smart business decisions, motivating alumni, selling and image, and marketing the school. We need someone smart, savvy, hardworking that knows how to raise and manage money.

Of course we want someone that cares about football success, but I would prefer the new hire's strength to be business with a willingness to make calculated risks to benefit the program.

When has CU's athletic department ever raised money?

If in fact Rick George is interested in the job I think its because of the turmoil in the Rangers ownership group, and the power struggle that occured over the winter within the organization. Part of the ownership group wanted Nolan Ryan out, and for John Daniels to be in charge, while the other part wanted things to remain the same, Ryan as team president, and Daniels as GM. In the end Ryan was stripped of a large portion of his power and I see this as his last year in Arlington especially since his son Reed just took over the Astro's. I think next season Nolan is home on the ranch in Alvin or working with Reed (they do still own the Round Rock Express in Austin). Long and short of it R. George just might think it is time to get out if he has a viable option

I know, he ran day to day ops for Kentucky and Maryland since 96'. I'm good with that - an AD who's worked as an AD at other colleges. That is your most likely recipe for success.

You just described Bohn...again.

I'm up for Rick George. He sounds like he could be a good fundraiser. Here's an old article I found about him from New Orleans' paper...

Gotta love the quotes:

“I always thought he could be a CEO in any field he went to,” Rodrigue said. “He’s such a people person. We always described him, when he entered a room, he was like a roach in a match box. He was so eager to meet everybody.”

Rick has exceptional people skills,” Rangers President/Chief Executive Officer Nolan Ryan told PGATour.com when George’s hiring was announced. “While his track record and achievements certainly are impressive, his ability to build relationships with everyone around him truly sets him apart.”

http://www.nola.com/zephyrs/index.ssf/2011/09/ex-no_resident_george_in_a_who.html

I know, he ran day to day ops for Kentucky and Maryland since 96'. I'm good with that - an AD who's worked as an AD at other colleges. That is your most likely recipe for success.

You do realize that Mike Bohn was an associate AD at CSU and Air Force before becoming the AD at Idaho and SDSU BEFORE coming to CU, right? So you're suggesting we hire Mike Bohn?

I'm up for Rick George. He sounds like he could be a good fundraiser. Here's an old article I found about him from New Orleans' paper...

Gotta love the quotes:

“I always thought he could be a CEO in any field he went to,” Rodrigue said. “He’s such a people person. We always described him, when he entered a room, he was like a roach in a match box. He was so eager to meet everybody.”

Rick has exceptional people skills,” Rangers President/Chief Executive Officer Nolan Ryan told PGATour.com when George’s hiring was announced. “While his track record and achievements certainly are impressive, his ability to build relationships with everyone around him truly sets him apart.”

http://www.nola.com/zephyrs/index.ssf/2011/09/ex-no_resident_george_in_a_who.html

And this in a nutshell is an Athletic Director. He doesn't have to know the inside details of the football program, the basketball program, the cross country program. He has to be able to manage people and resources so that those people who do know the details can and do succeed at their jobs. It is about being a motivator, about finding, developing, and allocating resources, about setting a direction and anticipating opportunity and risk and dealing with each.

If the guy has those skills his specific background in getting them doesn't matter. As far as I am concerned the guy could come from the NHL or a NASCAR team if he can do the job. In some ways it might even be better that he hasn't been directly involved in football recently. The easiest way to screw someone up in their job is to try to micromanage them when they know the job better than you do. Let M2 manage football on a day to day basis and set the direction for the program. The AD should only be concerned with two questions, is he setting a positive direction and does he have the support he needs to do it.

This hire will go a long way toward showing us just how committed CU is to athletics. This is a chance for the University to kick off the resurrection of CU athletics/AD. This hire will make or break our fundraising efforts. I believe this is a monumental moment in CU athletics history.

This is a weird thread, 11 pages and I think I've seen 3 names and one of them was Belichek.

You do realize that Mike Bohn was an associate AD at CSU and Air Force before becoming the AD at Idaho and SDSU BEFORE coming to CU, right? So you're suggesting we hire Mike Bohn?

How can you compare Idaho and SDSU with Kentucky and Maryland? Kentucky's budget was $79M! Big leagues vs. bush leagues.

How can you compare Idaho and SDSU with Kentucky and Maryland? Kentucky's budget was $79M! Big leagues vs. bush leagues.

You never said how big of an athletic budget the guy had to work with. You just said that somebody with previous AD experience was ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Why? If the money was in place, you'd think the premium should have been on football knowledge. But they ran Belotti out to hire the accountant for some strange reason.

They hired someone with experience managing huge budgets at a similar college. If we got someone with experience managing a $79M budget at the college level that would be great for us. Are you against that?

They hired someone with experience managing huge budgets at a similar college. If we got someone with experience managing a $79M budget at the college level that would be great for us. Are you against that?

Of course not. What I was against was your original position that the impetus was to hire someone with expertise in football as a priority over hiring a fundraising & finance person.

But wait, I thought we HAD to hire a "football guy", but now you're ok with hiring an AD who has run two traditional basketball schools. You are all over the place - this is why you're getting so much flak.

You never said how big of an athletic budget the guy had to work with. You just said that somebody with previous AD experience was ideal.

If we think big, our next AD isn't coming from Idaho and pointing to a $350k stadium renovation as his major accomplishment. And if this firing was about money, our next guy should be an expert at big money college athletics.

But wait, I thought we HAD to hire a "football guy", but now you're ok with hiring an AD who has run two traditional basketball schools. You are all over the place - this is why you're getting so much flak.

Who says he's not footballl savvy? In the last 4 years of Mullens tenure, UK was very competitive in football relative to their historical performance. I believe all winning seasons and bowl games.

Last edited:

If we think big, our next AD isn't coming from Idaho and pointing to a $350k stadium renovation as his major accomplishment. And if this firing was about money, our next guy should be an expert at big money college athletics.

You're really draining the available talent pool for this hire.

The Vandal Athletics Center cost millions and is beautiful by the way.

Let me see if I had this straight:

Bohn, a collegiate athlete who played football and baseball, and who had been an AD at two stops prior to coming to CU was a risky hire. But, a guy like Mullens who was a Deputy Director (i.e not an AD and therefore the buck didn't stop at his desk with respect to their budget, the coaching hires, or the on-field product) at a basketball school, is the kind of guy we need to go after.

Who says he's not footballl savvy? In the last 4 years of Mullens tenure, UK was very competitive in football relative to their historical performance. I believe all winning seasons and bowl games.

First lets remember he wasn't even the AD there, he was a deputy. Regardless Kentucky football went 46-52 during his tenure and lost at least 5 games every season. What about that background tells you he was "football savvy"?

The Vandal Athletics Center cost millions and is beautiful by the way.

Let me see if I had this straight:

Bohn, a collegiate athlete who played football and baseball, and who had been an AD at two stops prior to coming to CU was a risky hire. But, a guy like Mullens who was a Deputy Director (i.e not an AD and therefore the buck didn't stop at his desk with respect to their budget, the coaching hires, or the on-field product) at a basketball school, is the kind of guy we need to go after.

You're omitting important facts to support your argument. I'll fill in the blanks:

1. Mullens finished his lenghy tenure at UK with football having a winning record 4 years straight
2. Just in case anyone forgot, they play football in the SEC and are historic doormats
3. Mullens also managed a budget of $79M
4. Bohn was at SDSU for 18 months
5. Bohn's main qualification came as Idaho AD
6. Bohn left Idaho as the football team suffered 4 straight losing seasons, including 1-10 and 2-10 seasons.

Do you see how these are two different candidates and not easily comparable?

Last edited:
You're omitting important facts to support your argument. I'll fill in the blanks:

1. Mullens finished his lenghy tenure at UK with football having a winning record 4 years straight
2. Just in case anyone forgot, they play football in the SEC and are historic doormats
3. Mullens also managed a budget of $79M
4. Bohn was at SDSU for 18 months
5. Bohn's main qualification came as Idaho AD

Do you see how these are two different candidates and not easily comparable?

1. Mullens was not the AD at Kentucky, and didn't hire the coaching staff - how you can equate his football know-how to the record of their football team?

2. To play along with your ridiculous argument, Kentucky went 7-6 his last year with a loss in the Music City Bowl - Big Time!!

3. The Kentucky AD had a $79M budget, not Mullens. The AD is ultimately responsible for the department budget and hires guys like Mullens to handle some of that work.

4. Bohn had run 2 athletic departments before coming to CU. You can call them small schools if you want, but Mullens NEVER had the top job anywhere before going to Oregon. Go read the bio of Kentucky's current Deputy Director of Athletics an tell me with a straight face he wouldn't be a risky hire.

So Mullens was an unqualified candidate and should be non-credited for any UK success? And Bohn, coming off 4 straight losing FB seasons at Idaho, and 1 at SDSU, was better qualified.

Well there you have it. An AD with 5 straight FB losing seasons at the MWC/WAC level > than Mullens. I can't argue with that logic out of principle. Would be a huge waste of time.

Regardless of who is hired, this is Bensons & DeStiffs one and only chance to prove they really want CU football to be great again. If they haven't figured that out by now, they never will.

One last stat: 11 of the last 12 years of Bohn's AD career have produced losing FB seasons.

When, exactly did Bohn coach football, again?

Back