What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn stepping in it by allowing coaches to "fine"players?

"You serious, Mike?"
20130717__BuffsPresser071713b~p1_200.jpg

Devil's advocate argument: Headline "Player suspended for game due to [insert bad deed here]! School still paying cash on top of his scholarship!!!" So it becomes an ethical dilemma. Keep paying a player despite them having violated the stated rules and conditions for that payment thereby possibly contributing to future bad behavior by not punishing them, or remove said payment because conditions of said payment were not met. Would an employer continue to pay your salary if you violated company policy? Is it heartless for a school to take away academic scholarships if a student fails to meet the qualifications for maintaining said scholarship?

Devil's advocate argument: Headline "Player suspended for game due to [insert bad deed here]! School still paying cash on top of his scholarship!!!" So it becomes an ethical dilemma. Keep paying a player despite them having violated the stated rules and conditions for that payment thereby possibly contributing to future bad behavior by not punishing them, or remove said payment because conditions of said payment were not met. Would an employer continue to pay your salary if you violated company policy? Is it heartless for a school to take away academic scholarships if a student fails to meet the qualifications for maintaining said scholarship?

Well, CU is currently paying Bohn 900k for not working here.

If college athletes were being paid, this would be a completely different situation. Student Athletes are not, at this point, employees of a company, so don't even go there with that comparison.

The problem lies in that fact that student athletes on athletic scholarship have very little to no disposable income (at least officially), and are often told they are not allowed to hold part time jobs (nor do they really have the time). Where are these fines being taken from? Their money for books and tuition? Their stipend for housing? Will they begin taking away meal privileges, as a "tool" to instill discipline?

If college athletes were being paid, this would be a completely different situation. Student Athletes are not, at this point, employees of a company, so don't even go there with that comparison.

The problem lies in that fact that student athletes on athletic scholarship have very little to no disposable income (at least officially), and are often told they are not allowed to hold part time jobs (nor do they really have the time). Where are these fines being taken from? Their money for books and tuition? Their stipend for housing? Will they begin taking away meal privileges, as a "tool" to instill discipline?
I believe the fines are being implemented along with the "full cost of attendance" scholarships, which for Cinci was ~$7k in extra stipend. They were not implementing it on the current tuition, books, room & board scholarships.

I believe the fines are being implemented along with the "full cost of attendance" scholarships, which for Cinci was ~$7k in extra stipend. They were not implementing it on the current tuition, books, room & board scholarships.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but once players are out of the dorms, the stipend typically goes toward rent for off campus housing, correct?

Nebraska:

Rape coed.........................................$10
Push girlfriend down stairs................$5
Caught with gun................................$10 (per gun)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but once players are out of the dorms, the stipend typically goes toward rent for off campus housing, correct?
On the old scholarship system you could elect to get a housing stipend in lieu of on campus room and board. That stipend was set at some calculated value. The new full cost of attendance stipends are above and beyond the current stipends. The cost of attendance adds an addition few thousand for living expenses, travel home, etc. It is in addition to any housing stipend or in addition to on campus room and board. It is in essence the salary for playing sports. Players can still apply for loans and grants, however I think with the stipends the grants and loans that they used to get will go away as those are means tested and they only allowed up to full cost of attendance.

On the old scholarship system you could elect to get a housing stipend in lieu of on campus room and board. That stipend was set at some calculated value. The new full cost of attendance stipends are above and beyond the current stipends. The cost of attendance adds an addition few thousand for living expenses, travel home, etc. It is in addition to any housing stipend or in addition to on campus room and board. It is in essence the salary for playing sports. Players can still apply for loans and grants, however I think with the stipends the grants and loans that they used to get will go away as those are means tested and they only allowed up to full cost of attendance.

Got ya... That makes more sense in your devil's advocate argument, but I still believe that taking what limited money a player has, that he would otherwise spend on groceries, plane tickets home, or the occasional date/night out with friends, is ridiculous. I agree with hkylw; punishment for being late to practice or film, missing class, etc. should be handled with "extra work" at practice.

Got ya... That makes more sense in your devil's advocate argument, but I still believe that taking what limited money a player has, that he would otherwise spend on groceries, plane tickets home, or the occasional date/night out with friends, is ridiculous. I agree with hkylw; punishment for being late to practice or film, missing class, etc. should be handled with "extra work" at practice.

And even if they are not using the money for needs based items I believe this will just lead to more athletes with their hands out.

I see nothing good coming from this and I cannot believe people thought it was a good idea to make it to implementation stage.

Bohn-head

Sounds like something I want my players talking to potential recruits about. Make a program look cheap and petty.

What happens if a kid has fines that exceed his stipend, do they make him pay money back, not let him eat at the Monday pizza buffett?

I get that this isn't his idea, but it's such a horrible idea that he should have known enough to kill it with fire before anybody in the media got wind of it. Dumb move, Mike.

Back