What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn to head UC AD

I suspect Bohn was in a rough spot. DiStephano didn't exactly prioritize championships over balanced and frugal budgets, and there was some leadership dysfunction with the Hawkins dismissal that isn't all on Bohn.

I think it was mostly Bohns decisions. But I think the administration certainly interfered or pressured him. How much we will never know. I tend to believe these decisions were still 75-80% or more him and without the threat of being overridden.

Bohn was the one who extended Hawkins after an 11-19 record in the middle of the season. So the reason he couldn't fire him was technically his fault. Also LOL at the balanced budget, considering we're 20mil in the hole largely due to two failed football coaches

I see we forgot the $12mm penalty year for leaving the BigXII for the Pac12. And I don't think we got any PAC money until the end of our 2nd year in the conference.

Lump in the cost of firing Barnett, Hawkins, and then Embree. And that they are probably still whittling down the loan to pay for the east stadium expansion.

So we would still be in debt AND have a crappy football team? Thanks Mike. You know what a revenue generator is? A good football team
I think it was mostly Bohns decisions. But I think the administration certainly interfered or pressured him. How much we will never know. I tend to believe these decisions were still 75-80% or more him and without the threat of being overridden.

I see we forgot the $12mm penalty year for leaving the BigXII for the Pac12. And I don't think we got any PAC money until the end of our 2nd year in the conference.

Lump in the cost of firing Barnett, Hawkins, and then Embree. And that they are probably still whittling down the loan to pay for the east stadium expansion.

If football isn't successful at CU, it's very unlikely the rest of the AD will be since it's the big revenue producer.

Men's BB past 2 tournaments, Women's BB tournament last year, volleyball tournament last season, soccer tournament last year, skii team NC, cross country NC. Try again.

I suspect Bohn was in a rough spot. DiStephano didn't exactly prioritize championships over balanced and frugal budgets, and there was some leadership dysfunction with the Hawkins dismissal that isn't all on Bohn.

So hypothetical here for the "Bohn wasn't so bad" crowd... what happens if MacIntyre doesn't work out? Are you finally off the bandwagon after 3 failed football coaches?

You guys make it sound so easy. Like snapping your fingers and there stands the next Urban Meyer. :lol:

How many other programs, programs with more legacy success than us have done it any better? USC, nope. Miami, nope. Notre Dame, um no. Oklahoma, still no. Alabama, god no. That leaves probably Florida State and Ohio State.

The truth is its usually the third or fourth hire before you find the guy that's the right guy. And MM juat might be that guy. I'm not suggesting he's any kind of genius after putting us thru the Embree disaster. And if memory serves Hawkins is rumored to have bypassed Bohn by appealing to DiStefano while Bohn was out of town. But MB did some real good here where others could not.

Bohn was, allegedly terminated for failing in the fund raising department.

Men's BB past 2 tournaments, Women's BB tournament last year, volleyball tournament last season, soccer tournament last year, skii team NC, cross country NC. Try again.

Did he not fire/demote and successfully replace all the coaches in those sports? I'm pretty sure he did.

You guys make it sound so hard. Is CU the only bcs school with 1 bowl game and zero winning seasons since 2006? I would guess so. And that's due to 3 hires by Bohn (still early on MM)
You guys make it sound so easy. Like snapping your fingers and there stands the next Urban Meyer. :lol:

How many other programs, programs with more legacy success than us have done it any better? USC, nope. Miami, nope. Notre Dame, um no. Oklahoma, still no. Alabama, god no. That leaves probably Florida State and Ohio State.

The truth is its usually the third or fourth hire before you find the guy that's the right guy. And MM juat might be that guy. I'm not suggesting he's any kind of genius after putting us thru the Embree disaster. And if memory serves Hawkins is rumored to have bypassed Bohn by appealing to DiStefano while Bohn was out of town. But MB did some real good here where others could not.

This was year 3 after WVU. Do you really think he gets an extension if Bohn waits it out and Hawkins goes 5-7? You don't get other offers 3 games into the season
You're looking at this too much in hindsight. It wasn't a "bad move" at the time.

You guys make it sound so hard. Is CU the only bcs school with 1 bowl game and zero winning seasons since 2006? I would guess so. And that's due to 3 hires by Bohn (still early on MM)

Yes, Indiana has the same bowl drought, but they had a winning season in '07.

Umm yes it was. How many other AD's extend a coach 3 games into the season? Notre Dame waited 7 months after Brian Kelly took them to the MNC before extending him
You're looking at this too much in hindsight. It wasn't a "bad move" at the time.

I think that might have played a role but if there was football success, he wouldn't have been fired since he did everything else right (or so it seems).

Exactly, best of luck Mike.

I'm with Miami and Superior on this one. I liked Mike the few times I got to talk with him and he came in when CU was still toxic from the scandal. I don't think we could have done better at the time. Good luck to him in Cincinatti.

Umm yes it was. How many other AD's extend a coach 3 games into the season? Notre Dame waited 7 months after Brian Kelly took them to the MNC before extending him

So, our last AD was Dick Tharp. The same AD who settled for Gary Barnett after failing to get Gary Kubiak. This same AD also extended Barnett and gave him raise. Was he a better AD than Bohn, iyo?

Well Barnett was coming off a Rose Bowl Northwestern team correct? Terrible settle imo. But I didn't follow CU under Tharp so I don't know enough to comment. From everything I've read is sounds like it's a battle of who is the smartest retard.
So, our last AD was Dick Tharp. The same AD who settled for Gary Barnett after failing to get Gary Kubiak. This same AD also extended Barnett and gave him raise. Was he a better AD than Bohn, iyo?

I think that might have played a role but if there was football success, he wouldn't have been fired since he did everything else right (or so it seems).

And they may not be mutually exclusive. If football had been going better he might have done better at fundraising.

You have to remember that after the scandal things were very much being scrutinized and the Barnett replacement had to be squeaky clean.

Given the deficit we had why was the naming rights to the stadium never sold? I remember there was a point at which Coors wanted to buy them like they did for the Coors Events Center. But we rebuffed that offer and now I don't think Coors is as big a donor as they used to be. Which is dumb. But it was the admin that stepped in, if memory serves, and interfered.

Well Barnett was coming off a Rose Bowl Northwestern team correct? Terrible settle imo. But I didn't follow CU under Tharp so I don't know enough to comment. From everything I've read is sounds like it's a battle of who is the smartest retard.

No, he was 4 years removed from that team with a progressively worsening record.

1995Northwestern10–28–01stL Rose78
1996Northwestern9–37–1T–1stL Florida Citrus1615
1997Northwestern5–73–58th
1998Northwestern3–90–811th

I don't think Bohn was terrible, but hard to argue he was anything more than average with lack of football success and movement on facilities.

Yes ftr I would peg Bohn as average. Our AD should be well above that. Rick George yo
I don't think Bohn was terrible, but hard to argue he was anything more than average with lack of football success and movement on facilities.

I think it was in the works for some time, you know these things are sometimes just a formality. If you want to post what you said about the extension at the time, I'll believe you until then though...

I would agree, on football. He was stellar on the rest of the AD. Which was his downfall, if you can't get the football donors to step up nothing else really matters.

Please find me one other AD that extends a coach during the season. TIA. Mike Bohn ahead of his time iyam
I think it was in the works for some time, you know these things are sometimes just a formality. If you want to post what you said about the extension at the time, I'll believe you until then though...

And they may not be mutually exclusive. If football had been going better he might have done better at fundraising.

You have to remember that after the scandal things were very much being scrutinized and the Barnett replacement had to be squeaky clean.

Given the deficit we had why was the naming rights to the stadium never sold? I remember there was a point at which Coors wanted to buy them like they did for the Coors Events Center. But we rebuffed that offer and now I don't think Coors is as big a donor as they used to be. Which is dumb. But it was the admin that stepped in, if memory serves, and interfered.
It's hard to fundraise without success in football. Ask Texas A&M, when the donations started funneling in after all to renovate their stadium.

I don't remember Coors but I do recall Frontier.

Slider :dead-horse-fast2:

Holy crap man, we know you didn't like Bohn. Get over it.

I looked some up. Jim Mora at UCLA, Steve Sarkisian at UW, Gary Patterson TCU, Urban Meyer OSU, Paul Rhoads ISU etc etc all done after the season.
You can do some Google searches, I'm pretty sure it's been done. Not going to waste my time here.

I looked some up. Jim Mora at UCLA, Steve Sarkisian at UW, Gary Patterson TCU, Urban Meyer OSU, Paul Rhoads ISU etc etc all done after the season.
Something tells my your being selective -- I'll tell you one that comes to my head -- Charlie Weis after the USC LOSS in the middle of his first season.

Those were the only ones I looked up. I didn't go all the way back to 2005. And it looks like that one turned out well for ND.

I'm out

Back