What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn to head UC AD

Those were the only ones I looked up. I didn't go all the way back to 2005. And it looks like that one turned out well for ND.

I'm out
And now let's change the rules, when it doesn't help your case. And no it didn't turn out so well for ND, but again at the time, it wasn't a bad move especially when Kevin White said that he was getting offers from NFL teams. A lot of things that you don't know, information you aren't privy to, play into these decisions.

Well Barnett was coming off a Rose Bowl Northwestern team correct? Terrible settle imo. But I didn't follow CU under Tharp so I don't know enough to comment. From everything I've read is sounds like it's a battle of who is the smartest retard.

But see, thats kind of a cop out. Your essentially arguing that Bohn was a barely passable to bad AD when he was the only AD your familiar with. Other than 6 months under Rick George.

What a stud. Based on JR Ewing's post we are indeed the worst bcs football program under Bohn since 2006. Mad props

2006 was a cluster**** of a dumpster fire waiting to happen. No viable QBs on the roster. Talent drain due to the scandal and resulting massive overreaction was reaching critical levels. But yeah, let's just pretend the problems started when Bohn was hired.

Those were the only ones I looked up. I didn't go all the way back to 2005. And it looks like that one turned out well for ND.

I'm out

If you're going to judge whether a move made in 2008 was normal at the time, you might want to look at contract extensions back at least that far.

So Slider, here's the history lesson;

Dick Tharp was the University Attorney that dealt with the NCAA and advising on hiring around athletics (contracts) and title nine. He was promoted by John Buechner and Richard Byyny after working as acting athletic director for awhile. Buechner had just replaced Judith Albino. Albino may have played a small part in Bill McCartney's decision to retire (she supposedly constantly pressured him to pay his assistants less money) and was widely rumored not be very much fun to work for (compared to Gordon Gee). Bill Marolt, CU's long time AD also left, or at least started to look, while Albino was President. Albino supposedly had final say on Neuheisel getting the job over Bob Simmons or one of Macs other assistants and may or may not have stymied any effort to conduct a national search. Neuheisel was cheap at $400k. Marolt also promoted Ricardo Patton, one of Harringtons assistants, to head basketball coach as one of his last official hires before leaving in August of 1996. Albino was eventually forced out herself after backlashes from the faculty and falling morale. It was a contentious time. TABOR had just passed and state funding was starting to decline so she had her reasons.

Dick Tharp did some good in his time. CU basketball started to be good again after decades in the dumpster. Tharp also played a large part in getting the east stadium expansion done. The Dal Ward center was done under Marolt and the planning for the east stadium may also have started under him but I believe Tharp did most of it. Tharp, perhaps rather astutely, never gave Neuheisel a raise or extended him if memory serves. While he did extend Patton and later Barnett following their successes.

Tharp unfortunately took a brunt of the blame with Barnett for the scandal and his supposed lack of oversight. We were placed on probation at least a couple of times in his tenure. Neuheisel was the major one and the NCAAs spotlight followed him to UDub too. Tharp also had the unfortunate problem of being co-owner of liquor mart and I think something bad came from that too. I dont think Tharp was all bad by any means. He was just an insider that had never been an AD and took the opportunity when it was presented to him. Others may be able to speak more broadly to the issues.

Bohn was dealt a fairly bad hand having to fire Barnett with the non scandal and such but the buck stops with football and it sunk to new depths under his leadership. My personal opinion is he would have done much better had the administration made football more of a priority like they seem to be doing now. He did hire Hawkins and extended him, but it seemed like the right move at the time, only hindsight tells us it wasn't. Really hard to judge him based on all the other factors at play during his tenure. Good luck to Mike.

Bohn was dealt a fairly bad hand having to fire Barnett with the non scandal and such but the buck stops with football and it sunk to new depths under his leadership. My personal opinion is he would have done much better had the administration made football more of a priority like they seem to be doing now. He did hire Hawkins and extended him, but it seemed like the right move at the time, only hindsight tells us it wasn't. Really hard to judge him based on all the other factors at play during his tenure. Good luck to Mike.
Having to fire Barnett? Well Barnett overplayed his hand when he had a contract on the table that he wouldn't sign since it meant that he would have less control of his program (and $). There Slider is another in-season extension possibility. Of course, everything that went wrong did wrong, and CU football as I know (I only came to CU in 2004), has never been the same since the Iowa State debacle. But I still think a deal could've gotten done with Barnett. At the same time, after everything, I could see him wanting to go in a "new direction."

It's fair to judge Bohn on football, agreed there even if it wasn't completely his fault. I think it will work out better at Cincy than it did here, he probably has learned from some of his mistakes.

I maintain that Mike Bohn was exactly the right guy at the right time for CU. It's unfortunate that he wasn't able to find the right forumula to get the football program turned around, because ultimately, that's what did him in. If Hawkins had turned out to be the coach we all thought he would be, he'd still be here and winning games.

I've had the opportunity to talk a couple times with Rick George. There's nothing phony about him. I think he's the right guy for CU right now. He's the guy who will lead CU athletics into the next phase. I'm good with that. I see no reason to dump on Mike Bohn at this point. It accomplishes nothing. He did a lot of good things for CU, and I'm grateful for that. Best of luck to him in Cincinatti.

1b9c58833ac717054b0f6a7067006cf2.jpg

The speculation is that he was hired to get them into a larger, more respected conference.

I'm left to wonder how he's supposed to pull that off. Where would they go? The ACC already turned them down. The BiG isn't interested. The SEC sure as hell isn't interested. The Big 12 has 10 teams and they seem to be perfectly happy that way. Plus, that would mean him going back to the same conference he kicked in the nuts just a few years ago. Don't think for a second the boys in Austin would be all that pleased to have Mike Bohn back in their conference. That's it. There aren't any other conferences. There's nowhere to go. Maybe the thought is that they're looking 10 years down the road, but most ADs don't last 10 years.

The speculation is that he was hired to get them into a larger, more respected conference.

I'm left to wonder how he's supposed to pull that off. Where would they go? The ACC already turned them down. The BiG isn't interested. The SEC sure as hell isn't interested. The Big 12 has 10 teams and they seem to be perfectly happy that way. Plus, that would mean him going back to the same conference he kicked in the nuts just a few years ago. Don't think for a second the boys in Austin would be all that pleased to have Mike Bohn back in their conference. That's it. There aren't any other conferences. There's nowhere to go. Maybe the thought is that they're looking 10 years down the road, but most ADs don't last 10 years.
Best case scenario is the ACC goes after UConn than they take UC with them to make it an even number. Like you said, that's probably 10 years down the road.

I doubt Texas cares about Bohn at all.

Even if you're right, the folks at Baylor certainly do care. Maybe things worked out well enough for them that it's not a big deal anymore. I just see too many roadblocks to him being accepted into the Big 12 with open arms. Maybe I'm wrong. There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

Basically Bohn has to get the Big 12 to believe Cincy makes a good travel partner with WVU. That is the only real hope.

Basically Bohn has to get the Big 12 to believe Cincy makes a good travel partner with WVU. That is the only real hope.
Yeah I thought about that, if they had the Pac-12 scheduling model, they'd have a better shot. Unless there's more defections coming from the Big 12, I don't think they'll expand to Cincy.

The Big 12 also risks being left out in the cold some years from the playoff without a championship game.

There's not much question that the Big 12 is Cincy's only hope of moving to another conference because their academics probably aren't "up to standards" for the ACC :rolling_eyes:

The other big task he has to accomplish at Cincy is bring their basketball attendance up. They're struggling and have yet to sell out a game despite being currently ranked in the top 10

There's not much question that the Big 12 is Cincy's only hope of moving to another conference because their academics probably aren't "up to standards" for the ACC :rolling_eyes:

The other big task he has to accomplish at Cincy is bring their basketball attendance up. They're struggling and have yet to sell out a game despite being currently ranked in the top 10
How are Louisville's academics?

If he can replicate the gameday experience he did at CU which I think he will, they'll get that up.

Terry Frei with a DP article and on radio w/ Sandy this morning, basically stating that "nothing has changed" with RG and that "MB should not have been fired... Benson overreacted."

Terry Frei with a DP article and on radio w/ Sandy this morning, basically stating that "nothing has changed" with RG and that "MB should not have been fired... Benson overreacted."

how can they say that, with the announcement of being over halfway to the 50mm? proof is in the $ since rg got here, right?

He said it was dumb the board of regents approved the plan in December without the money being raised when in reality they did the same thing for Mike Bohn. RG just had changes to the plan so he had to go through the process again. Obviously Terri hasnt spend enough time on this subject.

He said it was dumb the board of regents approved the plan in December without the money being raised when in reality they did the same thing for Mike Bohn. RG just had changes to the plan so he had to go through the process again. Obviously Terri hasnt spend enough time on this subject.

Actually, that part is true. All RG did is re-submit, with a few changes, a plan that had previously been submitted by Mike Bohn. The difference is where we are in the fundraising effort.

I know Bohn has a lot of supporters out there. I'm one of them. I don't see any reason to cry over the firing at this point, though. What good does that do anybody? He's moved on, we've moved on. Re-hashing the reasons for his dismissal don't accomplish anything at this point.

Last edited:
Actually, that part is true. All RG did is re-submit, with a few changes, a plan that had previously been submitted by Mike Bohn. The difference is where we are in the fundraising effort.

I know Bohn has a lot of supporters out there. I'm one of them. I don't see any reason to cry over the firing at this point, though. What good does that do anybody? He's moved on, we've moved on. Re-hashing the reasons for his dismissal don't accomplish anything at this point.
Did Bohn have the medical facility stuff in his? I can't remember if he did or not, but if he didn't that's a pretty big change that will really help out going forward. Come to think of it, did we ever get real plans from Bohn, or along the lines of what we've seen from RG?

He didn't re-submit, he pretty much changes the entire plan and now it is on Franklin field so he was required to get it approved again. Added way more and cut the cost compared to what Bohn had planned so I don't think its stupid that the Board of regents approved it.

I thought that Cincy and BYU to the Big 12 was a done deal.

Back