What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn to head UC AD

He didn't screw up a good thing.
Bohn did lead the way for the B12 Track Championship to be held in Boulder. This involved a facilities investment.
And he left Wetmore alone when it came to fundraising. Mark got to coach his way, and not be forced to glad hand alumni for cash.

I understand the Big 12 Track Championship, but even that was somewhat of a debacle. Either way, Sacky giving Bohn much credit for the success of those two programs during his time at CU is laughable.

Football. End of discussion. A change was needed. I imagine MB will be very successful at Cincy and I hope that's the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think more was behind his dismissal than just fund raising and facilities. I think Benson was embarrassed at the way the football coaching situation was handled. The Butch Jones thing was a debacle and I believe played a significant part in it.

I think more was behind his dismissal than just fund raising and facilities. I think Benson was embarrassed at the way the football coaching situation was handled. The Butch Jones thing was a debacle and I believe played a significant part in it.

As a general rule of thumb & piece of advice for all our young folks getting started in their careers:

NEVER GET YOUR BIG BOSS PUBLICLY INVOLVED IN ONE OF YOUR PROJECTS -- AND FAIL

Mike was the fall guy for Phil's ineptitude and inattention. Phil had his hand in every decision that MB ever made, but did so from behind closed doors. Its not fair to compare MB to his successor based on outcomes, as there are now different circumstances above the AD. Phil can no longer place blame solely on the AD when things go wrong. Most people are now paying attention to the chancellor's role in the downfall of CU football. He is finally feeling a little heat for his part in the program falling off of a cliff..

Mike was the fall guy for Phil's ineptitude and inattention. Phil had his hand in every decision that MB ever made, but did so from behind closed doors. Its not fair to compare MB to his successor based on outcomes, as there are now different circumstances above the AD. Phil can no longer place blame solely on the AD when things go wrong. Most people are now paying attention to the chancellor's role in the downfall of CU football. He is finally feeling a little heat for his part in the program falling off of a cliff..

Bud Peterson wad chancellor too and we sucked then. And I wonder who screwed up the Butch Jones search? Hmmm

I am dead serious here.

Did he suddenly make the XC team a national power under Wetmore? Of course not. The guy has been coaching at CU for two decades and won several national titles before Bohn ever became AD. The facilities have not dramatically improved in that time frame. So again, what did Mike Bohn do to make CU a national power in XC?

In skiing, he inherited another longtime coach in Richard Rokos who had won multiple national championships at the school before Bohn ever arrived. What did Mike Bohn do to make CU a national power in skiing?

Your admiration is getting in the way of viewing his tenure at CU objectively.

i named off a whole bunch of stuff that is right with the athletic department under Bohn, and your only retort is to ask what Bohn had to do with the success of the ski team?

christ, man. Get a grip. Who is having trouble being objective here?

Come on! Is it a coincidence that when one screws up it is called a "bohner" or that an idot is known as a "bohn head?"

Reactions: aik
Yeah probably part of the decision but if it was the main cause, they wouldn't have let him stay in extra 1/2 year.

i named off a whole bunch of stuff that is right with the athletic department under Bohn, and your only retort is to ask what Bohn had to do with the success of the ski team?

christ, man. Get a grip. Who is having trouble being objective here?

I agree with your positives. Mixed bag overall = average AD though. You obviously disagree he was average, but I am not a hater.

You know what, Bohn did good things for the program. But as often happens, it was time for a change. Rick brings a different skill set that can take us to another level.

who cares about the University of Cincinnati AD, shouldn't this be on UC fan site? I like the guy that replaced him.

Bump.

Interesting read almost 8 year later.

Consider that since he left here, Bohn hired a football coach that is now coaching in the football playoff, and arguably made the best hire in this year's carousal.

Some fun quotes:
He'll do very well at UC, so long as he doesn't have to hire any football coaches. That was definitely Bohn's Achilles heel.

I don't think Bohn was terrible, but hard to argue he was anything more than average with lack of football success and movement on facilities.

It's fair to judge Bohn on football, agreed there even if it wasn't completely his fault. I think it will work out better at Cincy than it did here, he probably has learned from some of his mistakes.

Giving skiddy some credit, his post is one of the last three that seem to diagnose that the fundamental problem is above the AD.

Mike Bohn waas an average AD saddled with piss poor administrative support. Not sure he had any idea of what makes a successful football program at the BCS level and he had no real advisors to lean on. If that makes me a hater, so be it.

Any analysis of Bohn should probably include mention of his relationship with Phil DiStefano.

Was Bohn a lapdog to a Chancellor that prioritized team GPA, balanced budgets, and an absence of scandal above facilities and football titles?

Has the Chancellor had a change of heart following the futility and mismanagement under Hawkins and Embree? Now that Football has Benson's attention, is DiStefano giving support to George that wasn't previously forthcoming?

I cannot say with certainty that Bohn was a bad AD or if he was just resource constrained under a bad boss.

The Chancellor and President are now making an effort to support the program in ways that were absent during the eight years under Bohn. For this I am greatful. Benson's generous gift and the recent participation with football recruiting are great ways of showing leadership. But is this behavior atonement for years of neglect? Or is this something attributable to Rick George's ability to manage up?

Is the relationship with Solich any better or worse under George? Would George be even more effective or less effective if he no longer reported to this Chancellor?

A case could be made that Bohn was dealt some bad cards and played the hand he was dealt the best he could.

Regardless of the past, Bohn's lack of vision, the poor FB hiring decisions, and Embree's ugly final press conference, I remain sympathetic to MB and openly wonder if he might have just been DiStefano's fall guy.

Now that he's gone, I wish him no ill will for his time at dear old CU. He was an ardent CU supporter despite his shortcomings. And he did a great job with the conference switch. He built a Basketball program, and he enjoyed sustaining success in skiing and running. And he always managed to put butts in seats in Folsom or on the road in LA, Vegas, and Albuquerque.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll all see a man in Cincinnati who is unrecognizable when out from under DiStefano's calloused and double jointed thumb.

fatbuff nailed it - and I really suspect that history is repeating itself.

Bump.

Interesting read almost 8 year later.

Consider that since he left here, Bohn hired a football coach that is now coaching in the football playoff, and arguably made the best hire in this year's carousal.

Some fun quotes:

Giving skiddy some credit, his post is one of the last three that seem to diagnose that the fundamental problem is above the AD.

fatbuff nailed it - and I really suspect that history is repeating itself.
Phil is the common denominator in all this history.

April 2005 - Mike Bohn hired
May 2005 - DiStefano becomes Chancellor
May 2005 - Hank Brown named CU President
Dec 2005 - Gary Barnett forced to resign
Jan 2006 - Dan Hawkins hired
March 2008 - Brown retires
March 2008 - Bruce Benson, named CU President. Moves Presidents office from Boulder to Denver. DiStefano runs Boulder campus.
Nov 2010 - Dan Hawkins fired
2011 - 2012 Jon Embree
Mike MacIntyre
Mike Bohn Fired.
Rick George hired
Macintyre fired
mel tucker
karl dorrell.
**** it.

July 2019 - Benson retires
2021 - Mark Kennedy briefly President💩
Presidency Vacant

Dec 2021 - DiStefano still Chancellor

Last edited:

April 2005 - Mike Bohn hired
May 2005 - DiStefano becomes Chancellor
May 2005 - Hank Brown named CU President
Dec 2005 - Gary Barnett forced to resign
Jan 2006 - Dan Hawkins hired
March 2008 - Brown retires
March 2008 - Bruce Benson, named CU President. Moves Presidents office from Boulder to Denver. DiStefano runs Boulder campus.
Nov 2010 - Dan Hawkins fired
2011 - 2012 Jon Embree
Mike MacIntyre
Mike Bohn Fired.
Rick George hired
Macintyre fired
mel tucker
karl dorrell.
**** it.
July 2019 - Benson retires
2021 - Mark Kennedy briefly President💩
Presidency Vacant
Dec 2021 - DiStefano still Chancellor
16 yrs minus 1 of SMH BS football that aren't I the lucky one to watch as CU fell in to the abyss of irrelevance.

I was at CU 91 to 94. Grew up at The U campus thru 1990. I saw in person a lot of great football. I havent seen much since.
You saw/watched great football at Folsom...your heart probably aches as much as mine.
IMO Charlie Davis 1971 live was as good or better than > Salaam 94.

In many ways, the bolded is/was the turning point. Prior to that point, you can make an argument that CU gave a **** about football. The 2009 season was when the wheels came off the Hawkins bus; it was obvious that he needed to be fired, and from most reports, Bohn wasn't allowed to fire him.

It was the second major decision around the football program (the first being firing Barnett) into which Phil had a lot of input, and he (not Bohn) made the worst decision possible.

The only good decisions surrounding football that PD has made since that time was around the brief moment when his boss was forced to look into the football program. It actually started getting better for a few years.

Then that president left, and PD went back to his default fúckery of the football program.

Mike Bohn has been the AD at five schools. Only one school considered him a failure. It’s pretty clear - to me anyway - that Mike Bohn wasn’t the problem.
In fairness, one of those 5 has an asterix: *so far.

That is of course counteracted by another school who might list him as "best they ever had."

The issue with RG is that he has negotiated multiple egregiously bad contracts for multiple different coaches. Whether it be in terms of buyout money for schools looking to take a coach from CU being way too low (Tucker) or buyout money for CU if they were to fire someone being outlandishly high (KD, MM) relative to their worth as a coach. That is not PD's fault. Yes he sucks, yes he's a part of the problem. But RG ineptitude as an AD is on RG. PD, if he wanted, could pressure him to try and field a competitive staff and team, but PD definitely isn't pressuring him to give **** contracts and make **** hires.

The issue with RG is that he has negotiated multiple egregiously bad contracts for multiple different coaches. Whether it be in terms of buyout money for schools looking to take a coach from CU being way too low (Tucker) or buyout money for CU if they were to fire someone being outlandishly high (KD, MM) relative to their worth as a coach. That is not PD's fault. Yes he sucks, yes he's a part of the problem. But RG ineptitude as an AD is on RG. PD, if he wanted, could pressure him to try and field a competitive staff and team, but PD definitely isn't pressuring him to give **** contracts and make **** hires.
I would debate you a little bit on the MacIntyre contract-it was bad, but it wasn't so bad that we had to keep him a year longer than we should have. Still dumped him after 5-7 in 2018. Dorrell's contract is the one that kills us though.

Back