What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Leach agrees to coach Washington State

He's a modern day Bear Bryant, tini. The man was able to take over Texas Tech and....do the exact same as Dykes did before him. How can you be skeptical of the man who once had a 10 win season, taking Tech to the Cotton Bowl and getting their doors blown off by Ole Miss?

6-6 at Wazzu? Yes. Winning the North? No.
In the 13 seasons under Dykes, TT finished in the Top 25 just twice.

In the 13 seasons under Dykes, TT finished in the Top 25 just twice.

i always kind of liked Spike Dykes, but truth is the SWC was pretty weak a lot of years in his tenure at TT. Leach faced stronger competition with OU and UT back to full strength in the Big XII South.

Leach will get his "skill position" guys, turn a 3 star QB into a stat machine, score 40 a game, play no D, throw it on 3rd and 2, and win 6-8 games a year in Pullman. beat someone he's not supposed to at home from time to time, lose a couple when some DC has him wired for no real reason (Ron Collins fans of the world unite!).

Ok this was pointed out to me by our older less attractive hippie friends to the west.

Leach vs. Kelly

Every year, this has the potential to be hilarious.

I can see the superficial allure of Pullman to Leach - like Lubbock, he'll be the king of the town, he's going to be able to operate pretty much how he wants without a lot of interference, and of course, I'm sure the upcoming influx of Pac-12 cash helped in the decision.

But I have to agree with the people that question his ability to recruit as well to Wazzu as he did Tech. Lubbock sucks, but it's still in Texas. He might have had to be fighting with Okie Lite to grab the 4th best (and/or 1st stupidest) players in the state, but he was still in the state. I can't imagine trying to recruit to Pullman. To make things even worse, Wazzu now has to compete with Boise for local(-ish) players, plus Boise has the Bill Snyder "we'll get you in no matter how dumb you are" edge.

OTOH, Price was able to get it done there - to a degree. Maybe Leach can compete too.

the best coach at being a bad coach that is a decent coach at coaching at a school that is marginal.

TT was leftovers after UT and OU? Umm, what about aTm? Sure they were under achievers, but they've always been able to out recruit a lot of programs. Then you had an up and coming OSU program built with T. Boone Pickens' money.

It was harder to recruit at TT then I think a lot of people here believe. Except for west Texas kids, TT had less draw than many other places, despite being in Texas. They were competing against some of the most well-funded schools in the conference, besides fuskers. They would have ruled the north had they been in the Big12 Norte instead of the South.

Those hawk teams that won had better talent on D than TT did on O. They were fooking good. Should have won more games with those teams.

Dude, CU won two fooking games the first hawk time through (the other was ISU), and lost to Montana State and CSU. If we had good talent that should have won more games, that must mean our use of that talent sucked (i.e. coaching), except for maybe those two games, which goes to prove the point: the Pirate was outfoxed by the Turd. Then, of course, there was that vaunted CU offense. Remember? The one with Bernard Jackson at quarterback?

Dude, CU won two fooking games the first hawk time through (the other was ISU), and lost to Montana State and CSU. If we had good talent that should have won more games, that must mean our use of that talent sucked (i.e. coaching), except for maybe those two games, which goes to prove the point: the Pirate was outfoxed by the Turd. Then, of course, there was that vaunted CU offense. Remember? The one with Bernard Jackson at quarterback?

Oh, the offense was horrible. Absolutely putrid. TT defense was always abysmal though. It was always a shootout and it made for long ****ing games. That TT game in Boulder was 4 HOURS and it wasn't even televised. That D was LOADED though.

Bad Thad, Dizon, TWheat, Abe Wright and a host of others that contributed on defense in 06. We were in competitive in a lot of games. That O just couldn't muster up any points. We beat the Pirate in Boulder and in Lubbock because of exceptional defense. 4 interceptions at Lubbock with 1 of them being a pick 6 because Dizon and TWheat were great players, not because of Hawk. Coaches put players into position to make a play, but if we didn't have either of those guys we lose to TT and very badly at that. Can't really tell guys to go out there and intercept the ball. We won in spite of Hawk, not because of him.

We won in spite of Hawk, not because of him.

I'd agree if it happened once. Not twice. Make no mistake, that is not because the Turd was a great coach. But it does call into question the genius of the Pirate.

Actually, the good news here is both Brown and Cabral were on those staffs, right? So we have some defensive folks who know how to beat Leach, regardless of who/is was hc.

Last edited:
I'm amused by the general sentiment here. Leach was at Tech for 10 years and had a winning season all ten years, everyone. When was the last we had a winning season? I don't care what their out of conference schedules were like, that's still impressive. And only one year (his first season) did they finish with a losing record in conference and he was 47-33 in conference overall. Ok so he never got to BCS game but I don't see how winning 8 games a year makes him just an “average coach.” This is a very good hire, especially for a lower-tier program like WSU.

WSU is not a lower tier program. No Pac 12 program is lower tier. The media deal is driving all this. Washington State can now afford to pay their coach the same as just about any school in the country. There was somebody on this site who predicted that would happen, but he was told he was nuts.

I'm amused by the general sentiment here. Leach was at Tech for 10 years and had a winning season all ten years, everyone. When was the last we had a winning season? I don't care what their out of conference schedules were like, that's still impressive. And only one year (his first season) did they finish with a losing record in conference and he was 47-33 in conference overall. Ok so he never got to BCS game but I don't see how winning 8 games a year makes him just an “average coach.” This is a very good hire, especially for a lower-tier program like WSU.

Agreed. The bashing of Leach is quite hilarious. The guy can make an offense out of complete **** which is what he did for 10 years. The guy will be successful at WSU.

Well, to me at least what is interesting about the Leach hire is not whether or not he'll be successful. Past success is a pretty good indicator of future success and Leach had a successful run at TT. The question for me is what that success looks like. As has pretty much been universally agreed, it's easy to see Leach putting together a string of 7-5, 8-4 years with the potential for the occasional 9-3 or 10-2 season thrown in. But history also suggests he's not likely to win many division or league championships.

I don't see that as bashing Leach. And maybe that's what the Wazzu powers that be want, or maybe that's all a school like Wazzu (and maybe CU, for that matter) can realistically expect. It'll ultimately be good for the program. He'll bring them back to the level of success Price achieved. But it's super hard for me to see him taking them further and once he has rehabilitated himself and the program, he'll be looking to the next bigger opportunity.

That's why I wasn't all that interested when people started suggesting Leach for the CU job a year ago. Would I love for CU to win on average 8 games a year over a 6-7 year period? Absolutely. On the other hand, and maybe I'm being unrealistic, I don't want CU to be a stepping stone. I want CU to win Pac12 South championships, play in the Pac12 championship game and make a run at another NC.

Leach is not the guy for that job.

Last edited:
WSU is not a lower tier program. No Pac 12 program is lower tier. The media deal is driving all this. Washington State can now afford to pay their coach the same as just about any school in the country. There was somebody on this site who predicted that would happen, but he was told he was nuts.

They're lower tier among BCS programs, and every BCS conference has lower tier programs in them.

Wazzu had three QBs better than any on our 2011 roster! With a system like the pirate's, watch out. They will chuck it sixty times and may score just as many points. We'd better get more CBs who can tackle because the intermediate throwing game will test our nickel and dime packages even more. The pirate was a phenomenal hire for Wazzu. Now, it's just time for us to continue stepping our game up in recruiting.

i wouldn't discount his ability to get them competetive quickly but not like they will overtake oregon, stanford, and usc anytime soon. we have to play them in pullman next year - kinda wish they held on to wulff one more year.

I love the annual coach firing escapades.... hope springs eternal

Back