What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Leach fired

wasn't james part of smu when they went down? anyone know if he was getting paid at smu? also, time for hawk to start calling tech's recruits.

James graduated about 2yrs prior to SMU getting the death penalty. He went to SMU because his HS girlfriend, now his wife, was a year older than he and already enrolled at SMU. I don't think he was being paid, though he has acknowledged he knew players who were.

James graduated about 2yrs prior to SMU getting the death penalty. He went to SMU because his HS girlfriend, now his wife, was a year older than he and already enrolled at SMU. I don't think he was being paid, though he has acknowledged he knew players who were.

*cough* Eric Dickerson *cough*

I think Dickerson has acknowledged he was paid.

I had a cousin attending SMU at the time, and he said the football players did whatever they wanted.

Funny story, one time my cuz was in class right before Thanksgiving break, and the professor stood up and said; "You all may think that just because this is the last class on the day before Thanksgiving break that I am going to let you out early. Well, I'm not, and in fact I am going to have a pop quiz. At that point Jerry Ball, an all-American nose guard, stood up and said where everyone in the class could hear, "**** that $hit", and walked out.

I think Dickerson has acknowledged he was paid.

I had a cousin attending SMU at the time, and he said the football players did whatever they wanted.

Funny story, one time my cuz was in class right before Thanksgiving break, and the professor stood up and said; "You all may think that just because this is the last class on the day before Thanksgiving break that I am going to let you out early. Well, I'm not, and in fact I am going to have a pop quiz. At that point Jerry Ball, an all-American nose guard, stood up and said where everyone in the class could hear, "**** that $hit", and walked out.

Awesome! While its nice to see them turning the corner SMU got the 20+ years of pain they deserved.

Funny post from Horninok on Rivals.

A FEW GOOD PIRATES

Gerald Meyers (Tech AD): *Coach Leach, did you order the Code Shed?*
Kent Hance: You *don’t* have to answer that question!
Coach Leach: I’ll answer the question!
[to Meyers]
Coach Leach: You want answers?
Meyers: I think I’m entitled.
Coach Leach: *You want answers?*
Meyers: *I want the truth!*
Coach Leach: *You can’t handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Coach Leach: Son, we live in a world that has sidelines, and those sidelines have to be guarded by pirates with swords. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Meyers? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for James, and you curse the Pirates. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That James’s small shed, while tragic, probably saved games. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves games. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties with your fat little girlfriends, you want me on those sidelines, you need me on those sidelines. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very bowl games that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a sword, and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Meyers: Did you order the Code Shed?
Coach Leach: I did the job I…
Meyers: *Did you order the Code Shed?*
Coach Leach: *You’re G**damned right I did!*
Texas Tech Coach Leach Suspended….

This is neanderthal BS, Leach has to know better than locking a kid in a closet. James reacted like any parent would, with outrage.

This is neanderthal BS, Leach has to know better than locking a kid in a closet. James reacted like any parent would, with outrage.

The hilarity continues....the commentator for the Alamo Bowl is, that's right you guessed it, the Mad Daddy himself, Craig James.

While this may be true, I think at the end of the day that both Leach and James will be leaving TT. This isn't good for anybody.

Well, anybody at Tech, anyway. It's great for the rest of the conference.

what a crock, Leach gets lynched...if I was a coach at any program in America I wouldn't trust the James kid or let him even think about joining my team. 3rd team recievers aren't worth the drama.

What leach did was wrong and as a parent, craig james protected his kid like anyone else would. Having said that, craig james is a tool and he shouldn't be doing bowl games. Especially tonight after leach gets fired hours earlier.

I've been in one of the rooms Adam James was allegedly sent to. It's at the SE end of the stadium underneath part of the student section and doubles as storage and a place for postgame pressers for the visiting team. I think "cozy" would be a nice way of describing it, but the lighting piss-poor and the fact that Colt McCoy was crying made it kind of awkward. I suppose the money they saved by canning him today as opposed to tomorrow can be put to use restoring this like they've been doing the rest of the venue. If you sign to play for Leach, you have to know the kind of **** the guy's gonna pull to be a "motivator." Not to justify Leach's actions, but the money and attention he brought that program was far sweeter than it may ever be again. Got to go for Sonny Dykes or Art Briles, and if you can't get them (though I don't see why not) then see if Sumlin's interested. Might as well look to improve with a guy that beat you.

I'm guessing the ghost of Woody Hayes is hating the Tech AD's guts right now.

Mike Leach was at TT for 10 years and went 84-43. He just signed a new contract. His buyout is only $1.6 million! WTF?

im sure espn is gonna keep on trying to make ml look bad, but in the end we all will see what a total assclown the james gang truly is....i think it would be kewl if the baylor coach went to tt and ml and mark m went to baylor and beat kansas and tech every year.....lmfao

What leach did was wrong and as a parent, craig james protected his kid like anyone else would. Having said that, craig james is a tool and he shouldn't be doing bowl games. Especially tonight after leach gets fired hours earlier.

was the james kid really locked in? or is this just what the james clan is claiming? is there anyone that has stated one way or the other that not part of leach/james?

Mike Leach was at TT for 10 years and went 84-43. He just signed a new contract. His buyout is only $1.6 million! WTF?

That was all part of the contract renegotiation.

Tech agreed to give up any buyout on Leach's end of Leach wanted to leave Tech to go to another job. In exchange for that, Leach agreed that his buyout, if Tech decided to fire him without cost, would be $400,000 for each year left on the contract.

4 years left x $400,00 = $1.6 mil

Of course, Tech says they are firing him "for cause" and he therefore doesn't get a dime.

I am guessing when all is said and done he gets his $1.6M plus the $800k that he would have gotten today for his bonus and maybe some more. Someone at TT must have really wanted him gone to do this, and to handle it this poorly.

I've spoken to a coach from that team who basically said that if you started you were paid.

That was all part of the contract renegotiation.

Tech agreed to give up any buyout on Leach's end of Leach wanted to leave Tech to go to another job. In exchange for that, Leach agreed that his buyout, if Tech decided to fire him without cost, would be $400,000 for each year left on the contract.

4 years left x $400,00 = $1.6 mil

Of course, Tech says they are firing him "for cause" and he therefore doesn't get a dime.

Yep. They are basically saying that he refused to participate in an internal investigation. That is grounds for termination at any job in the US.

I had a family member on the team that played safety and they gave him a red supra all decked out. I know because I rode in it alot. I met all those guys, James, Dickerson, Reggie Dupard, etc.. Hell Dickerson didnt even usually arrive with the team at the stadium. He usually got there in his tricked out ride. James got stuff too, it was a dirty program from top to bottom. I was way young but I heard Jame's name come up often when I got older. We had a family reunion 3 years ago and spent about half of it talking about the SMU stuff. That stuff went on for quite a few years, it didnt start just after James left. I dont know much about being paid, other than having cash thrown at them here and there, benefits out the ass tho. There were alot of cokeheads on that team too, it was the 80's lol, but it ruined alot of their lives too including my family member.

Back