What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: 2012 Colorado Coaching Search Profile (Signed Colorado)

Ah, I see. But that doesn't necessarily make him a bad coach, that just means he is a bad interviewee. I'd heard and posted similar concerns previously that some folks felt he lacked some of the personality/charisma that you'd like your head coach to have. However, if you look at his record and resume, I don't see how you can conclude that he is not a good coach.

i mean that hes not a good coach... now this only something ive heard... so take it at that

Then how has the SJSU program turned around so amazingly under him? Great staff? New facilities?

when i questioned him on it... he replied... who have sjsu played...i dont necessarily agree with this person... but the way he was talking he basically called macintyre a hawkins 2.0

when i questioned him on it... he replied... who have sjsu played...i dont necessarily agree with this person... but the way he was talking he basically called macintyre a hawkins 2.0
I'd agree IF SJSU had been good before MacIntyre showed up, however, they were garbage and the program was on the brink of being disbanded. I think anyone that looks at the situation SJSU was in before compared to where they are now has to be impressed.

Whether he would be able to replicate that success at CU or otherwise succeed here is a different matter, but IMO, calling him Hawk2.0 because of the level of competition doesn't really take into account what MacIntyre has done in his 3 years vs what Hawk inherited & maintained.

Ah, I see. But that doesn't necessarily make him a bad coach, that just means he is a bad interviewee. I'd heard and posted similar concerns previously that some folks felt he lacked some of the personality/charisma that you'd like your head coach to have. However, if you look at his record and resume, I don't see how you can conclude that he is not a good coach.

Agreed. It's also hard to believe he has no charisma b/c usually you need to have some to lead a team and staff, and I think especially to recruit well. His 2012 recruiting class was ranked #1 in the WAC.

I really like him, I think now more than DeRuyter

Agreed. It's also hard to believe he has no charisma b/c usually you need to have some to lead a team and staff, and I think especially to recruit well. His 2012 recruiting class was ranked #1 in the WAC.

I really like him, I think now more than DeRuyter

The interview should simply be one component of the hiring process. Furthermore, If I am Bohn, I don't care how he interviewed elsewhere, I want to meet the guy myself.

I decided to go look up video of him at past game news conferences etc. I could see why people say he lacks charisma now. He doesn't appear to get too emotional or fired up and he comes across humble and kind of like a normal guy.

I watched about 5 such videos and almost never saw him show emotion. I know that a lot of successful coaches are stoic, and after the Water Bottle experience, maybe it's better to not have a coach who gets too high or too low, although I think it is more inspiring to be around leaders who show emotion. I would think it's easier to convince donors to pony up too.

But then again, some have supposedly criticized MacIntyre for being a better salesman than a coach (which I don't really get given the performance on the field), so maybe he does have that side to him?

People on the Cal board seem to think SJSU's success is attributable to their QB Fales, something MacIntyre has nothing to do with.

People on the Cal board seem to think SJSU's success is attributable to their QB Fales, something MacIntyre has nothing to do with.

Unfortunately, I don't think that QB has much to do with SJSU's top 25 defense this year.

#51 opponent-adjusted. Gave up 49 at home to Utah State - 15 more than USU's average points-for.

This may be true, but the point is, no matter what opponents they were playing, their defense was largely successful. USU was a decent team this year, which is why so many people were so high on Andersen as well. Giving their QB total credit for the teams performance or trying to use his success as an indication that Mac is a bad coach just does not add up.

This may be true, but the point is, no matter what opponents they were playing, their defense was largely successful. USU was a decent team this year, which is why so many people were so high on Andersen as well. Giving their QB total credit for the teams performance or trying to use his success as an indication that Mac is a bad coach just does not add up.
SJSU did go 3-4 in the WAC last year without Fales. I don't know a lot about their team. Some people on the Cal board seemed more knowledgeable about that program. The criticism looks fair. Not saying it is right, just fair.

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches[SUP]#[/SUP]AP[SUP]°[/SUP]
San Jose State Spartans (Western Athletic Conference) (2010–present)
2010San Jose State1–120–89th
2011San Jose State5–73–4T–4th
2012San Jose State10–25–12ndMilitary Bowl2424
San Jose State:16–218–13
Total:16–21
National championship Conference title Conference division title
[SUP]†[/SUP]Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. [SUP]#[/SUP]Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.

One winning season as a head coach. One.

Obviously the point with Mac is that he has shown remarkable improvement to get to that one winning season. Pretty obvious that you've got some reservations about the guy though, which you're entitled to. I still think he could be a solid hire.

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches[SUP]#[/SUP]AP[SUP]°[/SUP]
San Jose State Spartans (Western Athletic Conference) (2010–present)
2010San Jose State1–120–89th
2011San Jose State5–73–4T–4th
2012San Jose State10–25–12ndMilitary Bowl2424
San Jose State:16–218–13
Total:16–21
National championship Conference title Conference division title
[SUP]†[/SUP]Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. [SUP]#[/SUP]Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.

One winning season as a head coach. One.
At San Jose State. A team that since 2000 has had 10 seasons of .500 and lower with one bowl game in that time frame.

Obviously the point with Mac is that he has shown remarkable improvement to get to that one winning season. Pretty obvious that you've got some reservations about the guy though, which you're entitled to. I still think he could be a solid hire.
He might be. But we cannot throw a lot of guaranteed money at him. He does not have the track record or demand to justify it. He's currently making $430k.

MacIntyre must be the luckiest guy alive. He somehow won 10 games at San Jose State while being an idiot, bad coach, and just accidentally stumbling upon a good QB who was already the worlds greatest QB with no coaching required. He also outwitted a bunch of fellow retarded coaches such as: Larry Coker, Bronco Mendenhall, Dennis Franchionne, Rocky Long, Sonny Dykes, Jim McElwein, and Ken Niumatolololowhateverthe****.

MacIntyre must be the luckiest guy alive. He somehow won 10 games at San Jose State while being an idiot, bad coach, and just accidentally stumbling upon a good QB who was already the worlds greatest QB with no coaching required. He also outwitted a bunch of fellow retarded coaches such as: Larry Coker, Bronco Mendenhall, Dennis Franchionne, Rocky Long, Sonny Dykes, Jim McElwein, and Ken Niumatolololowhateverthe****.
I'm not saying he's a bad coach. Just some questions.

As long as the luck continues...

So...when Shane Dillon goes off for the next four years...is Embree going to get all his credit for CU?

Don't think so

Sounded like he was going to be bringing a slew of his current coaches with him including both his coordinators. Just don't want it to be another Hawkins.

Per multiple people (247/Reed), HCMM is bringing or attempting to bring five or six coaches with him. Today in itnerviews, he mentioned these five coaches as what he wants to bring:

OC - DC - DL - DB - S&C

That leaves 4-5 spots. off the top of my head. He did not rule out keeping some of the current staff.

Back