1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike MacIntyre discusses what it's like to rebuild Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by cmgoods, Aug 7, 2014.

1. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

Read more at: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../mike-macintyre-colorado-rebuilding-interview

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That was a hell of a good interview.

Some good insight on player evaluation and his philosophy on finding the "diamond in the rough" recruits. I've never heard a coach actually explain what that is and it had often come across more as "we got bad recruits and I need to spin it to save my job." With MacIntyre, I see what he's saying. I see how it can work.

Anyway, I'm not shy about saying how much I like this guy. I want him to be successful. Not just because I want CU to win, but because it would restore some of my faith in the possibility of doing it the right way.

Swish likes this.
  3. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

So CSU has really entrenched themselves our rival and that followed the blueprint we used with Nebraska.

God article.

4. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Was far more respectful of our past thank Hawkins and took more ownership than Embree - nice to see.

5. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

MacIntyre is just a great guy. I saw him when the freshman were moving up and he was helping Jay move in and checking with the other freshman. While he was waiting for the parking station to give him his ticket I got to speak to him a bit, just can't say enough about him.

And I'm also gonna throw this quote out...

6. chitownbuff

chitownbuff Club Member Club Member

Really good read - thanks for sharing cmgoods!

7. Buffnik

I also liked how the first thing he did was get pictures of current players and game action photos up on the walls. He made it about the current players as much or more than about the history. And it's a nice touch that he thinks it's important to also have those to be able to give them to the players when they graduate and it's time to feature the next group of seniors.

On that note, there was some joking yesterday among the team with the freshman because MacIntyre had just made his phone calls. He calls every player's mom the first week of their freshman year to check in and let them know how their son is doing, apparently. Another nice touch.

Again, I don't know if he'll win. But I really do like the guy and believe he does things the right way.

8. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Didn't know he had a management degree from Georgia Tech. That helps explain why he has such good organizational skills.

9. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I was surprised when reading his answers - I sensed a great deal of energy.

It's not hard to see why MM connects with, a is successful teaching, young people.

10. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I love Mac, but he is not God. :wink2:

11. tante

Lol. You will change your tune after he wins his fifth consecutive natty here.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

In before we self report a minor violation for impermissible gifts...

Seriously, thanks for posting the link. Like Nik, I don't know if he'll be successful here but he is an easy guy to root for. Interesting how much different he is, personality wise, than Jones. Not that I wouldn't have wanted Jones to succeed here as well but HCMM sure comes across as a legitimately good guy who is in this profession for all the right reasons.

13. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Mac has a plan. I don't know if our previous two staffs had any kind of plan. Maybe they had ideas. But they didn't organize those ideas into a solid plan. Mac does that.

14. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Great article. Thanks for posting. This guy is the real deal and so glad we got him and not food cart.

I like how he talks about how many plays you get out of a guy, not just whether they start or not. And the fact he puts the kids future over football...kids respect that and they will want to play for him. Makes me think of Coach Mac I, how guys would jump in front of a bus for him; I think Mac II will have a similar impact on the players.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

Lol Shoney's.

16. tante

Fo shoney's

17. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Spencer Hall is one of my favorite CFB writers, kind of surprised he's still at SBNation and hasn't move on to a bigger publication, one of the main guys behind their EDSBS site. A couple of years ago he was vacationing in Estes and when they stopped off in Boulder and he tweeted something along the lines of Hawkins should be shot for not being able to recruit to Boulder.

18. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

I think he appreciates the autonomy and lack of censorship that sbnation provides. Like I'm pretty sure he did this interview about a month ago because he was tweeting about getting high and going to a rockies game about that time. He did have an appearance on fox sports live a few weeks back so maybe he'll show up more on there.

19. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

The more I learn about him the more I see that he was the right guy to hire for Colorado.

Given how horrible and negative the mental state of the program was when he was hired, I think HCMM's abundance of positive attitude and motivational energy is exactly what was needed to turn the program around. He may never be a high winning percentage coach here at CU but I don't think we ever get out of the hole we were in without the kind of positive energy and attitude he brings.

20. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Steak Fingers!

21. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

Just some more kind words for MikeMac re: this article

[tweet]497440772241641472[/tweet]

22. Buffnik

It helps when the media likes your coach. Give them something positive to write about and they'll find an excuse to write it.

We so need to win. The facilities and all the other good stuff we're feeling about the program sets a foundation for what could be an explosion if we can just ****ing win this year.

23. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

More good stuff from fellow Pac12 coaches via Athlon. http://athlonsports.com/college-football/pac-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2014

24. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Loved that article. Spencer Hall is not only funny, he's a damn good sports journalist.

25. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Love our coach. The way he thinks about the game is light years beyond Embree's throw **** against a wall and pout when it doesn't work (and then try the same thing again) mentality.

26. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I love that the very first comment was "very well-coached". The comment about not being able to gauge the talent level is spot on...kinda tough when everyone is so young. Also gives a hint as to Embree's team...no confidence. That is one of the things coaches MUST do...instill confidence. If they spent half the time building up the kids as they did yelling at them, things might have been different. No wonder we soooooo bad in 2012.

27. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I think that is coach speak for having a nice personality.

Buffnik likes this.
  28. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

****ty article. We only won 4 games last year and are not recruiting well enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Nice article. Hope to see MacIntyre more and more in the media.

30. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Did you guys switch accounts?

zbuff likes this.