What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

• 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

Votes: 86 48.9%

• Total voters
The decision will be made as soon as it is apparent that he will not make a bowl game again this year but he will not be fired until the season is over. There is no doubt he is in over his head and he will not be here next season.

Rick George seems like a savvy guy. More importantly I think he is a patient man. He's not going to push the reset button and incur all that pain again while MM shows steady, albeit glacial, progress. If the Buffaloes win 5 in 2016 then MM will be back for 2017.

MM may have been in over his head in year 1 but by now he is has become competent. Recruiting is on the uptick. We're a decent P5 QB away from a bowl game. Why throw that OJT away just to hire another guy that will require just as much or more training.

The last sure-fire home-run hire that CU made in football was Hawkins. No thanks. I'll stick with this guy until he regresses. CU wouldn't get a sniff from any current coach that is as hot as Hawkins was back then.

Last edited:
Let's just agree that if QB play sucks next year (and it probably will) and either S. Jones or D. Webb plays better than Sefo then the coaches blew it. That really is not a big stretch. One might even omit the second qualifier and still keep the conclusion the same: if QB play sucks here, then the coaches have only themselves to blame.

Four years and no decent QB recruit. That is really, really bad for a Pac 12 team. If OSU, WSU, and every other **** school can do it, then we should be able to as well. If you think otherwise, then your standards are way, way too low (or you are wearing MM-colored glasses, whatever color that is).

The last sure-fire home-run hire that CU made in football was Hawkins. No thanks. I'll stick with this guy until he regresses. CU wouldn't get a sniff from any current coach that is as hot as Hawkins was back then.

It's not entirely clear what your point is here, but if your point is that "hot coach => bad hire", then you should go back to the drawing board with that one. If that isn't your point, then forgive me.

Rick George seems like a savvy guy. More importantly I think he is a patient man. He's not going to push the reset button and incur all that pain again while MM shows steady, albeit glacial, progress. If the Buffaloes win 5 in 2016 then MM will be back for 2017.

MM may have been in over his head in year 1 but by now he is has become competent. Recruiting is on the uptick. We're a decent P5 QB away from a bowl game. Why throw that OJT away just to hire another guy that will require just as much or more training.

1) Replacing the head coach doesn't have to mean hitting the reset button and going through years of pain again, in fact it really shouldn't. That's been a CU phenomenon caused by a program destroyed compounded by multiple awful hires.

2) Replacing the head coach doesn't usually mean throwing away a recruiting class, this is a common thing I hear on this topic and it's just not true.

3) Why would you assume the next coach would need "just as much or more training" than Mac? If you fire Mac you are doing it presumably to bring in someone who would be an upgrade. The fans aren't going to tolerate another learn on the job situation.

4) We would get a sniff. This is a much, much better job today than it was when we hired Hawk.

1) Replacing the head coach doesn't have to mean hitting the reset button and going through years of pain again, in fact it really shouldn't. That's been a CU phenomenon caused by a program destroyed compounded by multiple awful hires.

2) Replacing the head coach doesn't usually mean throwing away a recruiting class, this is a common thing I hear on this topic and it's just not true.

3) Why would you assume the next coach would need "just as much or more training" than Mac? If you fire Mac you are doing it presumably to bring in someone who would be an upgrade. The fans aren't going to tolerate another learn on the job situation.

4) We would get a sniff. This is a much, much better job today than it was when we hired Hawk.

I agree that CU could bring in a really good coach. The facilities are now top notch and make recruiting top athletes easier which will attract a good coach. Look at Oregon. What did they have other than facilities when they started their rise to the top? Also now that the staff has been upgraded, it's likely a new head coach would want to keep some of the better coaches on.
All of that said, I like Mmac, want him to break through this year and stay here for a long time. Not because we couldn't hire anyone good, but because he has the potential to be really good. He does a lot of things right. He is a good game day coach, he has integrity and sincerity which will play well now that we have more dynamic recruiters on staff, he started late, but has assembled a good staff (Leavitt was a great hire). It appears the players like playing for him. They play hard and the mistakes get corrected.
The QB situation maybe his down fall and that is on him (Webb pulled a dick move, but Mmac shouldn't have allowed us to get to this spot). If he can get that corrected he could have a long run here.
Ideally, in my opinion, we sign Lytle and maybe a Juco QB, Sefo comes through with a solid senior year and we go bowling. Csu is such a critical game this year. To steal a quote from CU at the game, we beat Csu and "here we go" we lose to them and "here we go again".
I'm very optimistic that this is the year CU puts it together and wins 6 games. The optimism maybe fueled by anger over the Webb sagamore reading coach Chev and Leavitt's Twitter, but I am confident this is going to be our year. Go buffs.

This is a much much WORSE job today than it was when we hired Squawkins, IMO. It's one of the 3 worst jobs in P-5, equal or worse than Kansas or Purdue.

This is a much much WORSE job today than it was when we hired Squawkins, IMO. It's one of the 3 worst jobs in P-5, equal or worse than Kansas or Purdue.
I disagree. The facilities and potential here make it an attractive place to coach.

I agree that CU could bring in a really good coach. The facilities are now top notch and make recruiting top athletes easier which will attract a good coach. Look at Oregon. What did they have other than facilities when they started their rise to the top? Also now that the staff has been upgraded, it's likely a new head coach would want to keep some of the better coaches on.
All of that said, I like Mmac, want him to break through this year and stay here for a long time. Not because we couldn't hire anyone good, but because he has the potential to be really good. He does a lot of things right. He is a good game day coach, he has integrity and sincerity which will play well now that we have more dynamic recruiters on staff, he started late, but has assembled a good staff (Leavitt was a great hire). It appears the players like playing for him. They play hard and the mistakes get corrected.
The QB situation maybe his down fall and that is on him (Webb pulled a dick move, but Mmac shouldn't have allowed us to get to this spot). If he can get that corrected he could have a long run here.
Ideally, in my opinion, we sign Lytle and maybe a Juco QB, Sefo comes through with a solid senior year and we go bowling. Csu is such a critical game this year. To steal a quote from CU at the game, we beat Csu and "here we go" we lose to them and "here we go again".
I'm very optimistic that this is the year CU puts it together and wins 6 games. The optimism maybe fueled by anger over the Webb sagamore reading coach Chev and Leavitt's Twitter, but I am confident this is going to be our year. Go buffs.
Other than the part about Mac being a great game day coach, I generally agree. He's actually been a pretty awful game day coach IMO. But I am rooting for him and the best case scenario for the program would be for him to have a great year, make a bowl game, and put all this talk to bed.

You guys are all watching something different than I am, each fall. Maybe there's a parallel universe that I'm not in. Yes, the new building is pretty, and the recruiting has improved slightly. But other than the somewhat impressive salary, the CU HC job is still a nightmare and a potential HC-ending gig. The last 3 HCs have been an unvetted and utterly unqualified bullshitter from Boise State, a legacy NFL tight end coach, and a Just-A-Guy from the WAC. My point makes itself. Geez. But hope springs eternal and I think that with a some luck MM might be able to right the ship a little bit this season.

The cluster that CU football has been since Barnett…..
It was definitely a cluster after Barnett (scandal, self-imposed recruiting sanctions, inferior facilities, administration more concerned about avoiding bad press than avoiding losses, an AD with no power to help improve the program). Those issues are largely gone. A recent history of losing is a minor issue relative to the institutional problems in the past.

There are plenty of talented coaches out there who would love to make $3M a year to coach a P5 program in the Pac 12.

You guys are all watching something different than I am, each fall. Maybe there's a parallel universe that I'm not in. Yes, the new building is pretty, and the recruiting has improved slightly. But other than the somewhat impressive salary, the CU HC job is still a nightmare and a potential HC-ending gig. The last 3 HCs have been an unvetted and utterly unqualified bullshitter from Boise State, a legacy NFL tight end coach, and a Just-A-Guy from the WAC. My point makes itself. Geez. But hope springs eternal and I think that with a some luck MM might be able to right the ship a little bit this season.
Other than the new facilities, improved recruiting, and impressive salary? Is that seriously your argument?

So, if Mac rights the ship somewhat this year, it will be because he got lucky?

No one is saying CU has done well with hires, nor that the job does not have drawbacks. But it is not even clear it is the worst job in the Pac-12, let alone in the country.

We're at worst the 9th best job in the Pac-12 with the new facilities and everything.

Other than the present salary, this job sucks and has been a career killer for the post-Barnett years. No established HCs wanted to come here and still won't. The longer the poor results on the field continue, the smaller and weaker the "talent pool" of future HC candidates will continue to be. Rick George has done a great job on his end, no doubt, and MM's only failure (but it's a major one) has been to try and build for the long term. He's recently changed, but then got screwed twice on the QB transfer front. His shortcoming was not realizing soon enough, initially, what a mess he was getting into. HCs are optimists by nature and sometimes to their detriment. But I do think it would be a mistake to fire him this year. If he ever gets a true P-5 roster he will have W/L success.

Do you guys seriously think that the CU job is a better situation then Kansas, Iowa State, or Purdue? Really?

He is a good game day coach

If this was true, then CU would have won more games the past three years. MacIntyre has three game day traits, maybe more, that hold back the team from winning games.

1) He losses his **** and focus too often during the games. He freaks out on small details and losses focus on the big picture. He seems so level headed and pragmatic on non-game days, in control. Come game day he channels his inner Pelini. The web is full of pictures of him absolutely freaking out, looking like his head will explode, on referees, players, and most embarrisingly Tumpkin. It can be of great benefit for a HC to explode now and then during a game if used strategically. MacIntyre has enough games under his belt a CU to show that he too often losses control of himself and therefore his strategy, team, and coaches during games.

2) He turtles in tight situations. He becomes too conservative. The two games that come to mind where two OT losses. The UCLA game CU had the momentum late in Q4. Instead of pushing the advantage and playing for a game winning TD, he pulled back hard on the reigns and played to kill the clock and get a FG so they could go into OT. UCLA took advantage to regroup and slam the door shut in OT. An unintended consequence of this "get to OT" strategy was that Thompson suffered a horrible concussion in OT and missed many games and probably suffered life long complications that most likely didn't need to happen. The second games was the OT loss to Cal where CU called some stupid run 4th down and the QB and RB went different directions. CU had been moving at will, Cal had a defense as bad as CU's so CU should not go conservative in that situation.

3) Lack of game day adjustments. Look at season 2 and CU played nose-to-nose with most teams until the 7:30 point of 2Q. Half way through Q2 the opponents commonly exploded for 14+ points to finish the half because they adjusted after seeing wht CU was doing but CU never adapted to their opponents or countered the opponents changes eith changes of their own. Last season was better, the avalanche didn't collapse on CU until the second half.

A good game day coach and staff wins games against equal and better opponents, not fail over and over at the exact same point in the game.

Do you guys seriously think that the CU job is a better situation then Kansas, Iowa State, or Purdue? Really?

Kansas and Purdue for sure. Better than Oregon State in the Pac-12, at the very least.

You act like we are all missing something... have you seen Kansas football lately?

Obviously there's nothing wrong with the University, the town, or the newly increased salary, it's just extremely hard to attract established HCs to a couch-on-porch fire that has had consistent W/L problems and the recruiting challenges that come with that. No established HC needs those headaches. Hence the provenance of the last 3 HCs at CU.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with the University, the town, or the newly increased salary, it's just extremely hard to attract established HCs to a couch-on-porch fire that has had consistent W/L problems and the recruiting challenges that come with that. No established HC needs those headaches. Hence the provenance of the last 3 HCs at CU.
If recent W/L record was the only thing potential coaches looked at, then you'd be right I suppose, but that's just not the case at all.

If recent W/L record was the only thing potential coaches looked at, then you'd be right I suppose, but that's just not the case at all.

Yeah, you have to be an optimist to be a big time sports coach. There will always be a group of outlier types willing to take the bottom rung of P-5 jobs.
And sometimes the moon and stars line up perfectly, i.e. Mac #1.

Back